No announcement yet.

[Mod proposal] Pathetic French Military leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an extremely interesting, and funny, thread. I would remind people of two items from World War 2. a) The Warsaw ghetto, I believe, held out longer than France did, and b) The French fought the hardest...against the French. (The Brits tried to be nice and give deGualle some PR by letting him lead his Free French against the Vichy French in the Middle East. They also hoped the Vichy French would not fight against the Free French. They were wrong. The Vichy French saw the Free French as traitors[!?] and fought very hard against them. The Brits bailed them out.)

But in all honesty, every country has their idiots. Take General Burnside from the American Civil War. Lincoln said of him: "Only Burnside could wrest such a defeat from the jaws of victory."

And of course, Montgomery-the Biggest Blowhard of World War 2. He was decent at fighting static battles, I admitt. But World War 2 had very few static battles. If Eisenhower had turned Patton loose instead of favoring "Monty," the war might not have lasted as long. But I never said Eisenhower was a great leader...
    I don't know what I've been told!
    Deirdre's got a Network Node!
    Love to press the Buster Switch!
    Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

The text is neither funny or historically valid. Furthermore, it's pretty old and well-circulated. Since there's no real mod proposal to be seen anywhere, one wonders why this spam thread hasn't been closed/deleted yet...

Comment

its not a mod, its a pure anti-french thread, with various old cliches and insults.

Comment

that list was funny... well, never really

maybe the thread should be renamed:

new unit: troll.
          'Choose Again' by Aenea

Comment

Originally posted by Fireb
            French history is also filled with winning battles, whilst losing the wars.

The napoleonic era provides a good example of this, when Napoleon defeated, in turn: the Turks, the Austrian empire (many times, capturing Vienna), the Russians (many times, and capturing Moscow), the Prussians (many times), occupying spain, defeating Portugese armies, and posing a threat to the US. It finally took an alliance of England, Russia, Austria, Prussia, Spain, Portugal and France (royalists) to defeat Napoleon. Perhaps a better rule should be: Only the French can beat the French, when led by a foreigner.
            The only big battle with Russia was a tie. Besides, Russia alone defeated Napoleon. After that, combined Europe wasn't able to finish that puny Napoleon.

Originally posted by Diadem France has been around for a very long time, and they've fought a large numbers of wars. They have won wars as well. But the last couple of hundred years they have lost a lot of major ones, and I guess that's where the image comes from.
            Actually, the image comes from the fact that by their actions France showed that they lost a fighting spirit in the last centuries. They were able to do much better in most cases, but because of their chicken attitude of mind they horribly lost. Generally, noone will make fun of you if you're too weak to do something. Now, if you're strong enough but in horror it's another matter.
            Knowledge is Power

Comment

Even Civ4 pays homage to never fighting a land war in asia.. Napoleon's tie or defeat to the russians has nothing to do with the russians
              ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by Ellestar

Actually, the image comes from the fact that by their actions France showed that they lost a fighting spirit in the last centuries.
                Something which is of course false.

France has fought in numerous wars -both large and small- after Napoleon. Sometimes they lost and sometimes they won (and once they did both).

But to say the the French have lost the will to fight is to make a mistake
                'Choose Again' by Aenea

Comment

Okay, and (given that we're posting to a thread in Civ4-Creation&Files) this half-true historical clap-trap has WHAT to do with modding?

And no, stubbing out a single leader does NOT count. You could have been a lot more creative than that.

Something like "When a Great Prophet (i.e. Joan of Arc) is stacked with French units, those units gain 200% strength. Otherwise, French units suffer a permanent, universal 25% strength penalty."
                  Steve

Comment

Um, actually, after the Russians stopped his advance, the Brits and Prussians stopped him, and I believe they did it without the Russians.

I don't think France has lost the will to fight, I just think they have turned their will to fight away from those who threaten them, and towards their friends

Comment

Originally posted by ghen
                      Even Civ4 pays homage to never fighting a land war in asia.. Napoleon's tie or defeat to the russians has nothing to do with the russians
                      Exactly. Winter defeated Nappy.

BTW, has France ever been defeated in French Guyana?

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by userqwerty
                        its a google bomb. laught it is funny
                        (oh and they eat Amphibians)

Poor frogs on crutches. Snails are a bit much for me. Thats why Im learining Canadian.

Comment

Um Canadian is not a language Clonereject.

Canadians generally speak English or French.

Comment

To be fair, there are the dialects of Canadian English and Quebec French there.
                            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                            X