Wheel of Time Scenario Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel of Time Scenario Announcement

As stated previously I am working on a Wheel of Time scenario. For those who don't know tWoT is a series of 12 roughly 700 page Tolkienesque fantasy novels (the 12th and final one comes out in 2008). It is a very good series (IMO) and has many devoted fans. It is a very fully flushed out world (as you can imagine from 8000+ pages) and makes a very good game environment for a variety of game genres. I always wanted to make a WoT scenario for Civ3, but I never got around to it. I did make quite a few other MODs and maps for Civ3 a few MODs for some other games (RTW/Victoria).

I am hoping to do this incrementally and not do many radical changes. The scenario will focus roughly on the time of the books, but will not necessarily have anything to do with them other than the setting.

Right now I am just finishing up the map with 18 starting locations for the following factions and a smattering of resources.

Faction List:

Shienar
    Arafel
    Kandor
    Saldea
    Tar Valon
    Cairhien
    Andor
    Manetheren
    Katar
    Arad Doman
    Tarabon
    Amador
    Murandy
    Altara
    Illian
    Tear
    Mayene
    Sea Folk

If you would like to help or have any input it would be much appreciated. I will try to post some screenshots later today and may have the map up by tonight.

It is 75X50 and maybe 80% land
    Last edited by Becephalus; November 30, 2005, 17:34.

Sounds great, i too like these books and look forward to giving it a try.
    Currently working on:
    A Song of Ice and Fire Mod for Civ 4!
    Click me to find out more!

Comment

Nice :-). The best books ever. I want to help out.

Comment

*cough* Well I wouldn't say they are the best books ever *cough*

Currently working on:
        A Song of Ice and Fire Mod for Civ 4!
        Click me to find out more!

Comment

Well have reached obstacle #1. I added 18 civs to the maps (putting Civ4 proxies for which factions I thought appropriate until I can make new factions in the future i.e. Tear=Spain, Shienar=Japan)

Unfortunately, when you load up the scenario you can only choose 17 of the civs MALI (the seafolk) don't show up as an option. Also when I actually started playing there were only 14 civs in the game which means 4 got left out (China, Aztec, GErmans, Mali).

I have the mapsize set to huge and I think 14 is the default number of civs for that mapsize. So how do I make it so all 18 civs load and how do I figure out why the seafolk are not selectable (all the code in python is correct and exactly the same as the other 17 civs).

Comment

Did you give them actual units to start with or cities?

I would build a city for each if you haven't yet

-Zen Blade
            FARSCAPE......................

Comment

Well Mali works now(spelled MANSA_MUSA wrong), but when you load it up you only get 15 civs...perhaps I will add cities for everyone. Unless of course someone can tell me where to make the default civs for huge maps 18.

Comment

I think there was a wot mod, but it never got finished. You should go over to civfanatics and see if you can find it, it might have some good ideas in it. This series, along with A song of ice and fire has got to be some of the best ever.

Comment

Well everything with the map is fixed and done now YAY! I will post some screenshots tonight and put the file up (if I can find somewhere to host it, its 330kb).

Comment

Rectified some Screenshots to give a glimpse of the map and have a close up of Tar Valon (which turned out perfectly)!

Tar Valon even has the correct NW to SE orientation Notice Dragonmount!

Comment

*drools* Nice, very nice :-).

Comment

The MAP!

Here is the map file I hope it works as planned.

Here is a copy of the README

tWoT for Civ4
                        Randland 1.0 README

This is hopefully the begining of the Wheel of Time Mod for Civ4.
                        As of now I (Becephalus) am the sole project member.
                        I do ask that anyone using this or any future products of this mod ask me first,
                        either through the threads on the Apolyton or CivFanatics forums
                        (where you most likely found this) or by email Becephalus@gmail.com.
                        Anyone who would like to contribute ideas or content should also feel free to contact me.

INSTALLATION
                        Put this file in your PublicMaps directory in your Civ4 folder
                        You can then play it by doubleclicking on it in the folder,
                        or choosing it within the game as a scenario.

MISC. INFO

I have made this map of Randland (the main area in the Wheel of Time books)
                        for the mod. Right now it is just a map with 18 Civs in the starting locations of the 18
                        factions I thought should be included.

Each WoT faction was assigned the Civ4 faction I thought best fit,
                        (this has to be the solution until I can put the time and effort in to create 18 factions).

For any other information questions/comments etc. try here

FEEDBACK is much appreciated

The Starting Locations are as follows

Civilization = WoT Faction (WoT city in starting location)

Japan = Shienar (Fal Moran)
                        Mongol = Arafel (Shol Arbela)
                        Aztec = Kandor (Chachin)
                        China = Saldea (Maradon)
                        India = The White Tower (Tar Valon)
                        French = Cairhien (Cairhien)
                        English = Andor (Caemlyn)
                        America = Manetheren (Emond's Field)
                        Germany = Arad Doman (Bandar Eban)
                        Russia = Katar (Katar)
                        Perisa = Tarabon (Tanchico)
                        Arabia = Amadacia (Amador)
                        Egypt = Altara (Ebou Dar)
                        Rome = Murandy (Lugard)
                        Inca = Illian (Illian)
                        Spain = Tear (Tear)
                        Greece = Mayene (Mayene)
                        Mali = Seafolk (Tremalking)
                        Attached Files

Comment

I forgot to put goody huts on the map so they will definitely be something that is added at minor city sites for 1.1

Comment

You should use Blue Marble terrain set instead. It's much more beautiful.
                            Attached Files

Comment

yeah I was just looking at that today. Thinking about installing it.

What is with the Civ games and the brown mountains and yellow plains?

remember kids...just say no to brown mountains.

Comment

Working...
                              X