Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[MOD] New Resources: Pearls (+ Coffee, Salt, Tobacco Version 2.0)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MOD] New Resources: Pearls (+ Coffee, Salt, Tobacco Version 2.0)

RESOURCE ADDITIONS TO CIVILIZATION IV 1.61 by Robert Judge Woerheide (www.rjwoerheide.com)
    November 23, 2005 - June 14, 2006

These files will add the following resources to Civilization IV:
    COFFEE, PEARL, SALT, and TOBACCO.

Full Civilopedia definitions for the resources are included, along with art files for the civilopedia, map, and globe.

EFFECTS
    COFFEE
    The tile receives: +1 gold. With plantation: +1 gold (in addition to existing +1); +2 hammer
    The empire receives: +1 happiness
    PEARL
    The tile receives: +2 gold. With fishing boats: +3 gold (in addition to existing +2); +1 hammer
    SALT
    The tile receives: +1 food. With quarry: +1 food (in addition to existing +1); +2 gold
    The empire receives: +1 health
    TOBACCO
    The tile receives: +2 gold. With plantation: +5 gold (in addition to existing +2)

BUILDING INTERACTION
    COFFEE
    +1 happiness for cities with a GROCER
    PEARL
    +1 happiness for cities with a HARBOR
    SALT
    +1 health for cities with a MARKET
    -1 health for cities with a SUPERMARKET
    TOBACCO
    +1 happiness for cities with a GROCER
    -1 health for cities with a GROCER

TECHNOLOGY AND/OR IMPROVEMENT REQS
    COFFEE
    Requires PLANTATION
    PEARL
    Requires FISHING BOATS
    SALT
    Revealed by MINING tech
    Requires QUARRY
    Obsoleted by CHEMISTRY tech
    TOBACCO
    Revealed by AGRICULTURE tech
    Requires FARM

I have also included the latest version of my popular DIPLOMACY TEXT fixes as an optional feature in this modification.

A readme file is included with full details and install/uninstall instructions.

___HISTORY:___
    (Version 1.0 thread here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=143945)

Version 2.0
    SALT is adjusted to appear properly during the map setup.
    SALT now also appears in coastal tiles, and is accessed via the new improvement DESALINIZATION PLANT. (Removed in 2.1, see below)
    SALT is now among the forth group of resources to be placed by the program during a map build--instead of the 6th. ("Placement order" group 3, of 0 - 6.)
    TOBACCO receives an extra 2 gold w/ Plantation improvement. (Adjusted to Farm in 2.1, see below)
    New bonus map icon ART FILES are present for all four resources! (This does not alter landscape art: Spices for Cofee; Clam for Pearl; Stone for Salt, at reduced size; Incense for Tobacco) (Fixed in 2.1, see below)
    DESALINIZATION PLANT improvement buildable with REPLACEABLE PARTS tech, and work boat. (Removed in 2.1, see below)
    My popular DIPLOMACY TEXT corrections are also included as an option.

Version 2.1
    SALT is now obsoleted by CHEMISTRY
    New terrain art skins for PEARL, SALT, TOBACCO
    TOBACCO now requires FARM improvement instead of PLANTATION
    DESALINIZATION PLANT improvement removed; SALT no longer appears in sea tiles.
    Improved bonus map icons for SALT and PEARL.

Version 2.2
    Alpha Channels for Civilopedia resource art corrected (special thanks to "Roamty" at Apolyton.net)
    City detail miniature icons implemented for COFFEE, PEARL, SALT, TOBACCO (special thanks to "Roamty" at Apolyton.net)
    Streamlined into loadable "Mod" (special thanks to "Roamty" at Apolyton.net)

Version 2.4
    City detail miniature icons caused intermittent errors; icons removed.
    Updated for 1.61 patch.

Version 2.5
    Increased chance of gold, gem, silver (only) appearing after mine construction, from 1 in 10000 to 1 in 1000.
    Made workshop +1 gold.
    Made copper +1 gold.
    Made wine +1 happiness with grocer instead of +2.
    Wrote and updated strategy texts for grocer, market, and supermarket to reflect interaction with custom resources.

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION (2.5): http://apolyton.net/upload/view/7027...rces_V2pt5.zip
    Last edited by rjwoer; June 20, 2006, 20:24.
    One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
    "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

That is cool! I like to see more resources.

Does the game place them in logical places? I mean like coffee would not show up in the Tundra cold north for example.

Does the AI understand how to use these resources?

The AI builds up a city and maybe it should not have Tobacco for use because it will destoy its population if the health rating is too low.

I as a human can select which building I place or not, to control the city health verse happiness verse production. I just wondered about it.

Another question. Does Coffee need a plantation to harvest? Like Bannana it tend to grow in tropics on hill elevation terrian. Takes alot of care.

I guess Pearl do not need anything special, divers just using a boat abtain them.

Salt from coastal needs a salination improvement. Where as Salt can be gotten from a Mine (or not) upon land area?

Tobacco, needs a plantation too? Found more in temperate climates, can be a farm.
    Last edited by Xerxes712; November 24, 2005, 01:15.

Comment

Re: [MOD] New Resources: Pearls (+ Coffee, Salt, Tobacco Version 2.0)

[SIZE=1] New in this version is a DESALINIZATION PLANT, which allows you to harvest salt from coastal squares (another new feature).
      Nations don't build desalinaization plants for the salt. They build them for the water. It's just not cost-effective to harvest salt this way. It's not a scarce resource anymore. It's far cheaper to dig it out of the ground or buy it from someone who is digging it out of the ground.

Comment

Beautiful.

Could you do Amber? I need it for a Baltic mod.

Comment

Re: [MOD] New Resources: Pearls (+ Coffee, Salt, Tobacco Version 2.0)

Originally posted by rjwoer
          Coffee, Pearls, Salt, and Tobacco
          Are not pearls included in clam? Or maybe you want to replace it.

by the way--Firaxis obviously intended that resource to be in the game)
          Are you sure it's not saltpeter? Looks like the icon from Civ3, the strategic resourse for gunpowder.

Other resources you could add are: Tin, Dimonds, Cacao, Berryies (or just Strawberries), Camels and so on.

Comment

In the City Screen, I am not getting an icon for the new resources.

Is this normal, or did I mess something up?

Comment

why not add chickens too? eggs anyone? come on, I'm sure you ate eggs at least once throughout your life!

Comment

Does the AI understand how to use these resources?
                Yes. I've weighted the resources as seems logical to me--and in light of Firaxis' example through the other resources. So far the AI seems to be treating the new resources logically.

The AI builds up a city and maybe it should not have Tobacco for use because it will destoy its population if the health rating is too low.
                Yeah, but the -1 health rating doesn't occur until Grocer, so it usually doesn't impact the early stages of growth in a city.

Right now I have both Coffee and Tobacco improved via plantation. This seemed logical to me.

Nations don't build desalinaization plants for the salt. They build them for the water. It's just not cost-effective to harvest salt this way. It's not a scarce resource anymore. It's far cheaper to dig it out of the ground or buy it from someone who is digging it out of the ground.
                1shmae1, you have a good point. I will consider this. Perhaps I'll post an alternate version w/o the desalinization plant. Thanks for pointing this out.

Are you sure it's not saltpeter? Looks like the icon from Civ3, the strategic resourse for gunpowder.
                I'm positive. In fact there is also a directory in the Art0.FPK file for saltpeter. Check out my earlier thread (http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=143945) for a screenshot.

In the City Screen, I am not getting an icon for the new resources. ... did I mess something up?
                No, you haven't done anything wrong. So far I haven't been able to implement city screen miniature icons without messing up the other resource icons. I think the fix is in one of the python files. This is the next issue I am addressing; hopefully in the meantime it's tolerable. At least the happiness/health icons show up for now, and if you mouse-over it tells you the resource. (Sorry I don't have better news on this front ... yet.)
                One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.

Comment

You should not start a new therd when you release a new version, but update the first post in the thread, and send me a PM about a subject change,
                  Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Duly noted.

Also, I'm not sure if others are experiencing this, but now that I've installed the 1.09 patch none of the resource animations are working. This is in existing save files AND new games created with the patch installed. I rec'd no errors during patch install, BTW.

I am going to rebuild the resource xml file using the "new" patched version--maybe that will do the trick. I will post shortly in case others are experiencing this.

(If we have to update all our mod files whenever a new patch is released, I guess we shouldn't bother modding until Firaxis is done patching. Sigh.)

Comment

Thanks for the info re: the City Screen. As long as I didn't mess something up, I'm fine. I'll poke around some and see if I can find the settings that control this.

The resource animations (both stock and yours) seem to be working for me.

Comment

Duly noted.

Also, I'm not sure if others are experiencing this, but now that I've installed the 1.09 patch none of the resource animations are working. This is in existing save files AND new games created with the patch installed. I rec'd no errors during patch install, BTW.
                        Yeah! I just noticed that too! The whales aren't jumping! I'm playing the standard unmodified game right now with the new patch.

Comment

awesome, i already hoped this stuff will be default.

Comment

Yeah! I just noticed that too! The whales aren't jumping! I'm playing the standard unmodified game right now with the new patch.
                            I am running a clean version of 1.09 unmodified yet. The whales are jumping around just fine. That is odd.

Comment

Well, that's it: I'm officially pissed off. I've now spent three hours dicking around with this new patch (that is, uninstalling, reinstalling, with and without my modifications) because of continual and varied problems. The patch is a complete cluster f**k on my two machines (2.8 Ghz, and 1.8, Pentium 4 and Centrino Mobile respectively, 512 DDR each). It won't run at all on my desktop and my laptop has enjoyed variations of the same problems. I even got a message that my (three month old, $1500) laptop is "below minimum specifications and Civilization will not run with this hardware setup."

I had no problems before the patch--not a *single*one--so now I am reinstalling Civ 4 for the 4th time! Aarrgh. I'm glad my problems aren't shared by all, but it seems plenty of others are having problems too.

Needless to say, I cannot test my modifications with the new patch because I can no longer get the program to run after installing it (even without any custom files--just a stock 1.0 version upgraded to 1.09). Sorry for not being able to hunt down the fix for the animation issue with this mod.

I am sticking with version 1.0 until Firaxis releases an official patch (why isn't this one even on the official web site? I'm suspicious). Or at least one that manages to WORK.

If you are experiencing the aforementioned animation problems, my guess is that the Salt, Pearl, Tobacco, and Coffee art definitions in ...CustomAssets/xml/art/CIV4ArtDefineBonus.xml need to be copied and pasted into the new(?) ArtDefinesBonus.xml file from the patch. Put that new and modified file in the CustomAssets/xml/art/ directory and leave the "root" one as is.

At least that would be my first guess--which I am unable to test.

---------------------------
                              EDIT: Problems eventually solved. Resources tested and confirmed workable with 1.09
                              Last edited by rjwoer; December 19, 2005, 16:30.

Comment

Working...
                              X