[Mod] Glacial Game Speed : The True Epic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Mod] Glacial Game Speed : The True Epic

After many many many hours of using a commandline calculator and tweaking the eras, I think I've finally arrived at what the Epic gamespeed should really be like.

First, an explanation. Note that although this might get a bit technical, I'm trying to be brief. The included XML file is extensively commented.

The game comes with 3 speed settings.

Quick : 300 Turns
    Normal : 430 Turns
    Epic : 650 Turns

Normal settings are all at 100%. Quick is at 67%. Epic is at 150%. Why?

Quick/Normal (300/430) == 0.69
    Epic/Normal (650/430) == 1.51

See the relation?

My Glacial speed has 720 turns. Yep!

Glacial/Normal (720/430) == 1.67

Actually, 730/430 would be more accurate, but the year/turn balance wouldn't be as nice.

I've decided that this is what the GameTurnInfos represents :

GameTurnInfo :: One gameTurnInfo definition per GAME Age, NOT Player Age
    iYearIncrement :: Num years per turn
    iTurnsPerIncrement :: Num Turns for this Game Age

The game has seven GAME Ages :
    Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial, Modern, Future

A game age is internal - it doesn't matter what the player does or researches. Its meant to give an impression of earth history.

Each speed setting has seven definitions of GameTurnInfo, one for each Age.

These are :

Code:
    Quick, 300 turns, 67%
    (50*60)+(40*50)+(25*20)+(10*15)+(5*50)+(2*45)+(1*60)
    = 6,050 years

Normal, 430 turns, 100%
    (40*75)+(25*60)+(20*25)+(10*50)+(5*70)+(2*50)++(1*100)
    = 6,050 years

Epic, 650 turns, 151%
    (40*50)+(25*40)+(20*70)+(10*60)+(5*130)+(2*100)++(1*200)
    = 6,050 years
    Now, my Glacial settings are :

Code:
    Glacial, 720 turns, 167%
    (32*100)+(16*100)+(8*80)+(4*80)+(2*80)+(1*80)+(1*200)
    = 6,200 years
    Yes, the game ends in 2200 AD. Too long? Not really. Check how the dates work out :

Code:
    Ancient         4000BC - 800BC
    Classical        800BC - 800AD
    Medieval         800AD - 1440AD
    Renaissance     1440AD - 1760AD
    Industrial      1760AD - 1920AD
    Modern          1920AD - 2000AD
    Future          2000AD - 2200AD
    Nice, eh?

Code:
            Anc     Clas    Med     Ren     Ind     Mod     Fut
            3200+   1600+   640+    320+    160+    80+     200
    4000BC  800BC   800AD   1440AD  1760AD  1920AD  2000AD  2200AD
    Now, here's the thing. I haven't actually properly tested this yet. My current game is still researching animal husbandry. For another week I won't have much time to invest in actually playing, just fiddling with python etc.

So now you know that, do what thou wilt.

Once its been verified to work (if at all!), I'll polish the bits that need polishing and add it to the directory.

Oh, if anyone want to use this in their own mods, feel free. Just credit me prominently in your docs and any internal credit screens, that's it.

See you in 720 turns!

Whoops! Forgot the all-important CIV4CultureLevelInfo.xml file, without which your cities get instant legendary status when built.
    Last edited by Stone-D; November 22, 2005, 06:10.

Interesting. Deleted the original attachement, now I can't upload the update.

Here it is :
    Attached Files

Comment

Sounds good, except that I'd find it reeeeally boring to play for about 200 years (as this if futur I think also 200 turns) with every tech already discovered.

Comment

Looks interesting. I'll give it a try and tell you what I think.
        "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

JDexter: Agreed, but in most cases you've already won the game by then, or are panicing about running out of time. Either way, the 200 years shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

I made one that is Biblical using 200% at 860 turns for a game.

The modifiers need to be changes to 200% also.

Epic is just 150%. At 645 turns (it is off at 640 used).

Normal is 100% at 430 turns.

I wanted more time to use modern units before they were absolete via research speed.

That way you actually get more turns over all, especially if weighted to the end game to stretch it out. Ends in 2050 AD as normal.

Comment

Quite frankly I'm tempted to just erase the other internal ages and start at the year 5000, post-apocalyptic. That way I won't really care. :P

Comment

Stone-D

Are you the same guy who worked on the X2-The Threat and X-tension games? It is me Slocket, who also made mod editors for that game also.

As big as the Internet is; chance seeing someone from a couple of years ago.....

Comment

Well bugger me backwards with a ripe turnip, SLOCKET!

How's the X2 scene going? Haven't checked up for ages. Last I heard was a sequel in the works, reunion, but beyond that haven't a clue.

And, err, yep that's me.

Comment

Yep, the expansion would have been great, called The Return but it was cancelled.

Bad move they tried to make a hybrid console/PC game called X3-The Reunion. It turned out to be a huge in graphical eye candy but it runs like a pig and has no atmosphere. They removed the cockpits and alot of other unfinished gameplay.

I moved on to something better like this game! Well, glad to see your still around, and have a happy Thanksgiving Day! Here in the USA it is a holiday.

Comment

I wonder if Berndt's brain imploded or something? To butcher his lovechild like that after all the effort.

*sigh*

Yep, thanks mate. Happy thanksgiving to you too!

Comment

With a mod like this, does something need to be tweaked with the research rate, as well?
                        Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Longtime lurker here at 'poly...and just have to say your calculations seem to work real well (at least for me).
                          2 games so far and in each one the timeline progressed almost perfectly, whilst allowing me to use all units from each age to great effect and for a worthwhile amount of time.

Two up
                          I'm not paranoid I KNOW they're watching me
                          EdCase

Comment

If Epic is 650 and you increased the turns to 730 but added 200 turns from 2000 ad to 2200 ad, then doesn't epic mode actually have more turns where it counts?

The standard part of the game is 530 turns, then you go into future mode....

I dunno if I like this mod. Made it 730 turns and have it end in 2050 like normal.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

OzzyKP, my aim here is to try to have the game's timeline progression mimic reality.

EdCase, glad to see its working out for you! Real glad.

I'll be releasing a tweak on monday that changes a few settings, but doesn't modify the turns.

Comment

Working...
                              X