No announcement yet.

[Mod] New resources: Coffee, Salt, Tobacco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DOWNLOAD NEW RESOURCES: Coffee, Salt, Tobacco ... why wait for Firaxis?

Originally posted by rjwoer
    COFFEE
    The tile receives: +1 gold. With plantation: +1 gold (in addition to existing +1); +2 hammer
    The empire receives: +1 happiness
    Is it possible to have negative effects from a resource? Why not provide +2 production and -1 health to the empire from coffee (the coffee's not necessarily bad for you but lack of sleep is and our culture has become one where sleep is undervalued).

Importing coffee would then become a trade-off proposition. Can I afford the negative health benefit for the sake of the increase in production?

SALT
    The tile receives: +1 food. With quarry: +1 food (in addition to existing +1); +2 gold
    The empire receives: +1 health
    Salt was perhaps THE most important trade item of the ancient world. Perhaps only copper might edge it out in importance. There really ought to be a lot of money to be made from salt, though the monetary benefit should diminish with the invention of refrigeration/electricity.

TOBACCO
    The tile receives: +2 commerce. With plantation: +3 commerce (in addition to existing +2)
    The empire receives: +1 happiness
    If we can enjoy negative effects in CIV, this is another resource that would make a great trade off. How about +2 happiness in exchange for -1 health?

COFFEE
    +1 happiness for cities with a GROCER
    Would be really cool if we could build a "Bohemian Cafe" that provides "+1 Angst." ;-)

SALT
    +1 health for cities with a MARKET
    -1 health for cities with a SUPERMARKET
    (Why? Well, in the earlier stages of food production--a la, "Market"--food was preserved and bacteria kept at bay by salt. Later--a la, "Supermarket"--as is the case in today's world, salt tends to be overused, resulting in high blood pressure which leads to numerous health problems such as chronic renal failure and heart disease. Keep in mind, the original +1 health bonus is retained, so salt still provides benefit to your empire . . . just not as much as in earlier times, as is the case historically.)
    Ahh! I see that negatives can be incorporated! And you've modeled the diminishing value of Salt post-refrigeration.

TOBACCO
    +1 happiness for cities with a GROCER
    -1 health for cities with a GROCER
    neeto! But is the happiness gain worth the health loss?

Comment

Originally posted by JDexter
      Any new graphics for the resources?

Nice idea, although I think coffee shouldn't give +2 hammers and salt +1 more commerce (and definitely the +2 food it gives now, it was such a huge advantage to be able to store food for the winter and sea travel it would be really wrong to take it out).
      Yeah. Now there's an idea. Ocean travel and trade is available to any civilization that has salt and not until they have salt. Control salt and you control trade in the ancient world.

But is there a way you can sell salt without trading it away?

Comment

I managed to unpack the Art.FPK file in the assets directory and discovered . . . viola! . . . salt was originally intended for CIV 4. I have found DDS files for the resource included in the box release. It looks like it just didn't make the early release, but I'm sure we can expect it in one of the upcoming patches. Here's a screenshot. You'll also notice there are DDS files for Saltpeter as well.

I have attempted to use the Firaxis salt images for my Mod, but it looks like they've prevented their use by modders (engaging the DDS and NIF files just creates a red cloud instead of an image, even though the DDS file is intact as you can see).

I am fine tuning the Mod, and am also experimenting with a new terrain improvement: Desalinization Plant (ocean squares, provides Salt).
        One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
        "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

Working...
        X