Broadening the UN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadening the UN

I have posted an idea about this before however taking a closer look at the python text it has become quite clear to me that I don't have the faintest clue as to how to add events to my game. So request some assistance to anyone who has some knowledge on computer programing and would have the interest in creating this mod:

First of all I liked how Civ 4 incorparted the UN into the game but I think it needs to be expanded a bit more let me state some of the things I would like to add:

1. U.N. Trade Embargoes. Which could come up in one of the referendums. You could create a subsection on the resolutions screen called Sanctions and then select the country for which you would like to put a trade embargo on. From there it would work how all the other votes work. A vote would be taken and, if a majority votes yes, for 20 turns no one would be able to trade with said nation.

2. "Peace Keeping Missions" : With this you would come to the standard UN screen and select the subsection War at which point another screen would pop up and you'd select the country to "Peace keep" on. It would be put to a vote. However this works slightly different for this resolution A. A majority has to vote yes and B. ONLY those who vote yes go to war. however a majority vote is still required if there isn't one NO ONE goes to war.

I would be very interested in using this in my game. As I'm sure others would be too. So if there is anyone out there who could do this it would be greatly appreciated. If someone would like to do this I would gladly compensate them for their time. Please post your thoughts. Thank you.
    As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
    atrocities.
    - Voltaire

All UN resolutions should require action on the part of the players. i.e. If nukes are banned, players should still be able to build/have/launch nukes, but they would risk a "Peace Keeping Operation."

And say, if Russia is ordered by the UN to disband all their subs, and they don't, it would trigger a war.

In real life the UN is a bully organization that is full of dictators. (China, Cuba...) There should also be options to try to force the world into say, Theocracy, and Police State.
    I don't know what I've been told!
    Deirdre's got a Network Node!
    Love to press the Buster Switch!
    Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Here here!
      I second this motion and move that the General Assembly put it to a vote.
      I would love to see sanctions/trade embargos enacted (though I think 20 turns is a bit much). Also, one of the main purposes of the UN is to further human rights. This is already represented in the game by votes to enact free religion, etc as compulsory civics. Might also be fun to be able to ban civics, or to simply pick which civic to universally adopt or ban.
      As for actually implementing these options, the hardest part would probably be doing the dialog screens. But it is definately doable. I can't say that I'd be able to work on this mod anytime soon but I'll add it to my to-do list and maybe get something going in december if no one else has addressed it by then.

Comment

Looks like those functions would greatly increase dogpiling to me. And that was one of the bad parts of Civ3 that got fixed, in my opinion.

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

2. "Peace Keeping Missions" : With this you would come to the standard UN screen and select the subsection War at which point another screen would pop up and you'd select the country to "Peace keep" on. It would be put to a vote. However this works slightly different for this resolution A. A majority has to vote yes and B. ONLY those who vote yes go to war. however a majority vote is still required if there isn't one NO ONE goes to war.
          Can i falsify inteligence to make my cities happy about me going to war against UN Resolution?

What if i have the biggest military power in the world, do i have to listen to UN or can i just tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine?

Comment

Originally posted by userqwerty

Can i falsify inteligence to make my cities happy about me going to war against UN Resolution?

What if i have the biggest military power in the world, do i have to listen to UN or can i just tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine?
            Oooo ooo Maybe I could falsify intelligence to go to war in the first place....

Way to try to trash a good idea qwerty...

Comment

I would like to have all the UN text more legible in game.. Right now its barely understandable.

Something as simple as turning the 'points' system into a percentage based one would be plenty fine.. Much more visible to see I need 66% to win a vote and I have 40% of the voting power.
              ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I'd probably be glad to help do some of the work.
                However I'm a bit wary of the 'compensation' part. Just what does that entail?

It should also be noted that I don't yet know much about python. I am, however, willing to learn.

Regarding the negative posts above...the whole point of mods is so that if you like them, you can use them, or even improve them to your liking; and if you don't, you don't have to
                The Roman Kings scenario is now ready for play: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...tin.com/forum/

Comment

Thankyou for your responses

Thank you for your responses to my post. Also what I mean by compensation is id be willing to throw 20 bucks or so your way if you were to get a working model of what I was talking about. I mostly put that in there in hopes to get somebody to actually think about doing it As most people aren't driven by my begging. Haha. However if you'd like I'd be more than willing to pay you if you get a working model. As I'm sure everyone knows I'd prefer not to pay but, nothing is free right.

Thank you for all your suggestions and please continue to post with any progress or new suggestions.
                  atrocities.
                  - Voltaire

Comment

Re: Thankyou for your responses

Originally posted by greenday_234
                    Thank you for your responses to my post. Also what I mean by compensation is id be willing to throw 20 bucks or so your way if you were to get a working model of what I was talking about. I mostly put that in there in hopes to get somebody to actually think about doing it As most people aren't driven by my begging.
                    Rofl...Dude...I'd be insulted to take money from anyone for doing something like this...

As I'm sure everyone knows I'd prefer not to pay but, nothing is free right.
                    Wow! Well, I am glad I don't live in your county. No offense, but there's a lot more to life than money

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I'm not willing to do all the work, particularly as I don't fully know what I'm doing, but I am willing to help out...and I most certainly don't want any money for it.
                    The Roman Kings scenario is now ready for play: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...tin.com/forum/

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean to be insulting. Its just that I'd posted a few times on here and rarely got a response. I thought maybe that was the reason but maybe I was wrong. Thank you for assistanting me in my idea. I think that maybe we might be able to figure out how to do this together as opposed to you by yourself. If you'd like you may email me at greenday_234@yahoo.com with anything you might know about python and the like and maybe we can figure this out together. From one fellow civer to another thank you and it wasn't my intention to be insulting.
                      atrocities.
                      - Voltaire

Comment

By the way I don't like the way many in my country are driven by money either. It seems sad and I think harms our culture but anyway I digress.
                        atrocities.
                        - Voltaire

Comment

Ok sure.

Regarding what I know about python, not very much

Though it isn't all that different from other languages I do know, so looking at it I (more or less) understand what's going on, and can then copy/paste/edit more or less intelligently

Anyway, I believe at first all we'll need to look at are the xml files.

The gameinfo/civ4GameInfoSchema defines what kind of things you can do at the UN
                          e.g.
                          element type="iPopulationThreshold"
                          element type="iTradeRoutes"
                          element type="bSecretaryGeneral"
                          element type="bVictory"
                          element type="bFreeTrade"
                          element type="bNoNukes"
                          element type="ForceCivics"
                          is what it currently has.

The gameinfo/civ4VoteInfo then detirmines what % of votes you need to get for each of those options.

To redraw the UN screen we will need to edit the python, and that shouldn't be to hard, but before redrawing it you'll need a pretty good idea of what exactly you want to redraw...

Comment

Cool

Well the xml seems pretty straight forward in that respect. Now as far as implementing new stuff into the python how do you think we'd go about do so. I've read some of the python scripting and it makes no sense to me. So I don't even know where to look as far as the UN is concerned. Have you seen anything in the script that might indicate where we'd begin?
                            atrocities.
                            - Voltaire

Comment

also I suppose that means we'd have to add new elements to the xml files is that as easy as it looks? Also once adding element type="iTrade embargo" How would we tell the game what exactly that does. Is that also in python?
                              atrocities.
                              - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X