mod idea--same game, less intensive graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mod idea--same game, less intensive graphics

I love the changes to Civ IV...but I'm getting squeezed out of the full enjoyment because of the high end computer needs and my inability to play on HUGE worlds with lots of civs...

SO,

Is there even a chance someone might take Civ 2 or 3 graphics and use them in place of Civ 4's?

Is this even possible because of the move from 2D to 3D?

I'm curious and I know you guys have some really powerful tools available to you this year for modding. Thanks.

Kevin

You could replace the existing 3d models by simpler models.
    For example a cube with some unit texture on it takes a lot less resources to display than a full-blown unit. The same could be done for the terrain, make everything flat and only have the texture on it to tell them apart.

I'm not sure how large the effect would be on overal gameplay though, since there are still a lot of non-graphics related computations that are required. It seems that graphics cards nowadays do the grunt of the graphical processing, so i really wonder if this will make a difference.
    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Re: mod idea--same game, less intensive graphics

Originally posted by kserra11
      I love the changes to Civ IV...but I'm getting squeezed out of the full enjoyment because of the high end computer needs and my inability to play on HUGE worlds with lots of civs...

SO,

Is there even a chance someone might take Civ 2 or 3 graphics and use them in place of Civ 4's?

Is this even possible because of the move from 2D to 3D?

I'm curious and I know you guys have some really powerful tools available to you this year for modding. Thanks.

Kevin
      I'm sure that can be sorted out, all you would have to do is replace the units, buildings, improvements, etc with simple images, problem is, if you rotate the screen, the image will look strange, so you would have to stay constant in one view angle (that suits the angle of the images).

I think this would have to be done in Python, sorry I don't know anything about it Python yet, so I can't help you there.
      be free

Comment

Working...
      X