Air units & promotions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air units & promotions...

It wouldn't be to hard to turn promotions on for Air units (bombers & fighters) in the civ4promotioninfos.xml, however the question is will they actually work?

Will Air to air combat actually take those promotions into account when calculating who wins combat rounds?

What i'd like to do is turn on Combat I - V, Drill I - IV, and Flanking I - II.

But again, the question is will they actually work and be considered during combat?

I'm not too sure if drill or flanking would work, but I'm pretty sure that combat would. After all, air units have different strengths! There has to be some reason to upgrade those old fighters to new jets.
    Mylon Mod - Adressing game pace and making big cities bigger.
    Inquisition Mod - Exterminating heretic religions since 1200 AD

Comment

I've been wanting to do this, but I did something else in the meantime while I ponder. I gave my jets and stealth bombers the ability to do 100% damage. And they are very very effictive now.

And the great things is, the AI uses them, so the old days of stacking armies is long gone. I would assume that promotions would work fine ( combat, city raiders...). I'm not sure how well first strike would work with intercept missions though.

My only fear, with doing my changes and adding promotions on top of that, is that it would be too powerful of a unit. Grant it, in modern wars, with SAMs and other jets, the planes drop like flies, but when the stealth bomber get s a successful run....ouch.

With leaving the damage at 50%, and adding promotions, I'm not sure it would have any siginificant value in "performance". Giving the unit more strength would be useless if the damage is always going to be scaled back to 50%.

What would have been fair ( and cool) was to give promotions to aircraft to go past the 50% cap. Say first combat promotion does 60% and so on...

Comment

Working...
      X