Are the IMPASSABLE peaks hardcoded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the IMPASSABLE peaks hardcoded?

There's code for creating impassable terrain in the XML files, but somehow, I cannot get peaks to show up as being impassable. Can't really find where they are set as being that way, either.
    So, is that "feature" hardcoded?
    _____
    rezaf
    _____
    rezaf

Check out my Forest planting mod or my Terrain adaption mod

I think it's hard-coded. You may have to mod them via the SDK. I wanted to make it so workers can climb mountains and slowly build roads on them, but I can't right now.

Comment

To make Workers climb peaks, change, in unitinfos.xml, the 0 to 1 for Workers.

However, that still won't allow other units to move on the mountains with roads. If you want that, I think you might need the SDK.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well, what I had in mind initially was not to allow units to pass over mountains but to get something from them, i.e. some shields, most probably.
        However, even though I changed the yields accordingly, they just show up as IMPASSABLE and I cannot gain anything from them.
        I think its kinda sad that Firaxis included a possiblity to make terrain impassable via XML and then go ahead and hard-code the peak-impassabiltiy. What for?

So, is there still any way to achieve what I want?

Btw, the SDK doesn't seem to be very resourceful in this regard.
        _____
        rezaf
        _____
        rezaf

Comment

Isn't the simpler solution to create a NEW Terain type called "Passable Peaks" or "Mountains" (after all, peaks are usually surrounded by mountains).

Copy the Graphics. Add it as a terrain type in the map generator with all the same 'odds of creation' rules as Impassable_Peaks, and then Zero out the odds of creation for the Old Peaks.

Voila - Passable Peaks, from the game as shipped. Maybe Firaxis merely hardcoded a terrain type as impassable, but that doesn't mean you can't replace it as far as I know.
          ---- "What gunpowder did for war, Blake has done for the AI" - Diadem ----

Comment

Yeah, doing something like that came to mind, but I failed to locate the file(s) where you need to make those changes. Care to give a hint?
            _____
            rezaf
            _____
            rezaf

Comment

Don't have a clue....a search 'inside' the files within the assets directory yielded iirc 20+ files with the word "Peak" within them
              ---- "What gunpowder did for war, Blake has done for the AI" - Diadem ----

Comment

I really tried to find a file that was able to do that, but I'm beginning to wonder whether it exists.
                There doesn't seem to be a direct reference to the TERRAIN_PEAK entity in the map scripts, instead things are handled with variables like peakpercentage or some stuff like that, which appearently relies on settings hardcoded someplace in the gamefiles.

I'm not even sure if a peak is an actual terrain or a feature. Similar to a hill, there is a terrain entry in the appropriate XML file, but otherwise the game seems to treat it as a terrain feature. For hills, there seems to be half a dozen places cluttered over the same amount of XML files which are all supposed to influence the role of hills in the game. Not all those are actually related to hills any longer, or so it seems. Really a mess in there.

Well, I guess I'll abandon that topic for the time being. I hope Firaxis will release some kind of relief for this at some point.
                _____
                rezaf
                _____
                rezaf

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  To make Workers climb peaks, change, in unitinfos.xml, the 0 to 1 for Workers.

However, that still won't allow other units to move on the mountains with roads. If you want that, I think you might need the SDK.
                  This is excellent this will allow workers to improve the ountains by allowing them to grow forests with the growable forest patch

Comment

Originally posted by userqwerty

This is excellent this will allow workers to improve the ountains by allowing them to grow forests with the growable forest patch
                    YOu do realize that trees don't actually grow in high altitude areas?

You'll be hard pressed to find lots of grass very high up.

I'm not sure where the 'cut-off' line is, but i believe its around 10000ft with a few exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot

YOu do realize that trees don't actually grow in high altitude areas?

You'll be hard pressed to find lots of grass very high up.

I'm not sure where the 'cut-off' line is, but i believe its around 10000ft with a few exceptions.
                      Please show me that most of mountains do not deserve forests

ALPINE FORESTS maybe? some of the mountains do deserve them that do not get them in the map maker

Comment

Well, we are talking about "mountain peaks" in the game. That in itself would suggest very high altitude.

Please show me that most of mountains do not deserve forests
                        Tell ya what.... Why don't you find a source that shows forests, not groups of trees, but forests on mountains. You'll be hardpressed to find something.

Comment

Of course there are forests on mountains, but not much higher than 1000 meters. There's mostly bushes etc. and single trees too abount 1500m, after that only low shrubery.

If someone doesn't believe there are I can posts some photos.

Comment

Lots of mountains have forests on them, not all mountains are too high for them to grow and regardless in the right climate they'll have tons of trees around the lower parts of the mountain.

I think the mountain peaks are a ridiculous type of terrain though, for one thing they're a magical void where no resources are generated; umm what the hell, what about rocks and ore and all that? Secondly, how many mountain peaks are -actually- impassable?

It would've made more sense to just take damage (or even die) when crossing mountains, or perhaps have a chance of a 'delay' of one or more turns once a unit has moved into a mountain square. Mountaineer and Jungle/Forest upgrades would make a lot more sense if there were certain terrains tha were actually hazardous, hence these upgrades would reduce the chances of damage or delay.

Comment

Working...
                            X