Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Mod] Faith Mod

Faith Mod:

This is a mod aimed half at my own personal taste and half at balance. Its annoyed me that you can build Temples/Missionaries of non-state religions in your cities thus getting their bonus. Furthermore this allows players that found multiple religions to pretty much milk anyone they have open borders with for cash. So with this in mind and a bit of XML editing I changed it so that state religion is a requirement for all Temples/Cathedrals/Monasteries/Missionaries. What this means is that if you want to build Taoist Temples, your state religion need to be Taoist and so forth for the rest.

This also means that when you switch to Free Religion you can no longer build the line of Temples or any Missionaries. I don't see this as much of an issue as Free Religion is supposed to represent it coming out of government control. Plus the bonuses for Free Religion are already great. And lastly by the time the tech comes around cities are well developed enough/large enough to spread religion naturally.

Now obviously this can still be exploited by the player with converting often to spread/build the other temples. But I don't really think anyone who would actually download the mod to restrict religions would bother, so its not much of an issue. What might be an issue is slower tech researching for the first couple of eras(no science bonus from the extra Monasteries) and less culture from multiple temples. I've tested the mod as well as doublechecked the edited XML files and found no bugs, so it should work fine.

Insallation and Play Instructions:

Extract to your Civilization 4\Mods folder then load it through the menu in game by going to advanced and then load mod.

Alternatively if you want to have it load automatically at startup(without requiring restart to play) edit the Civilization4.ini's " Mod =" section, to "Mod = Mods\Faith Mod"

If you want to run it with another mod and assuming they don't edit the Civ4BuildingInfos.xml or Civ4UnitInfos.XML files, just copy the XML dir from Faith Mod into the other mods Assets folder.

New Changes in 1.1: Since the AI seemed to have trouble with converting to new religions that it founded in 1.0 I added a new type of Missionary. It works the same as other missionaries but can only be built in the holy city and the national limit is 1. To also prevent the spread of religion being too fast(by the AI or player controlling holy city and having it as state religion) I lowered the national limit for normal missionaries for two. This results in slower spread of religion overall, allowing more time for other religions to take hold. I've only had time to test this with one game but the AI was converting to new religions it founded after already having another religion, so that issue should be cleared up. If anyone using the mod has time to play i'd love to hear about how things turn out in your game.

Notes: You'll need to finish any games you had using the old mod first before overwriting. I tried to play old saves with the new version of the mod and just ended up with crashes, likely because of the lower limit on missionaries. It might just not like new units being introduced in the middle of the game though.

Faith Mod 1.0 downloaded 32 times.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChaotikVisions; November 7, 2005, 03:31.
    "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Thanks. Will try it out.
    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
    - Frank Herbert

Comment

Is it possible to give the religions random advantages? Maybe you get the hinduism at first and in some games it gives you a plus of 1 smilie and in another game a plus of 1 shield?

I mean a randomizer would be great to give the game a more different way...

Comment

Does it destroy religious buildings if you change state religion?

Otherwise you could just cycle your state religion through the religions in your cities to get around it.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
          Does it destroy religious buildings if you change state religion?

Otherwise you could just cycle your state religion through the religions in your cities to get around it.

Dale
          I think that's the point - you can do it if you wish, but unless you are spiritual, you will get anarchy each time and have to wait a number of turns - not to mention you will need to make sure you have the requisite religions in your cities in the first place. So I don't think the option to do so would be imbalancing - in fact it is rather nerfed, imo.
          - Frank Herbert

Comment

Uh huh....

If I'm a spritual civ (say Spain) I start with mysticism and get a fair shot at hitting 4 religions (budhism/hinduism, jewdaism, christianity, muslim). Hell, you only need to pick up masonry, writing, alphabet and education (I think) on the way to do it. That gives me four religions in the early game. Being spiritual I get free changes. Therefore I build the first temple and missionary my entire civ. Then switch and missionary each city. Rinse and repeat till al four are done. Thus I can have four temples in all cities by mid-game.

Yeah, it's partly pointless and will probably stuff you militarily/economically, but what if you considered just two religions?

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
              Uh huh....

If I'm a spritual civ (say Spain) I start with mysticism and get a fair shot at hitting 4 religions (budhism/hinduism, jewdaism, christianity, muslim). Hell, you only need to pick up masonry, writing, alphabet and education (I think) on the way to do it. That gives me four religions in the early game. Being spiritual I get free changes. Therefore I build the first temple and missionary my entire civ. Then switch and missionary each city. Rinse and repeat till al four are done. Thus I can have four temples in all cities by mid-game.

Yeah, it's partly pointless and will probably stuff you militarily/economically, but what if you considered just two religions?

Dale
              Well consider it a benefit of playing a Spiritual game.
              - Frank Herbert

Comment

I have been looking for a mod like this but its too bad you couldn't figure out how to automatically destroy the non-state religion temples.

Thank you

Comment

Yes Dale, as I said in my post the player can still exploit it, but the AI won't. Even when they found two religions they just go with one or the other. So the mod is for people who don't want to exploit it. :P

Also, my original plan was to have all Temples/Missionaries buildable in Free Religion, but I couldn't link a civic to a construction requirement or figure out how to make it an OR choice in the files. As for the Temples getting demolished i'm not sure how well the AI would handle it, as it wouldn't know it would happen but the player would. Plus as its been shown in history holy sites stay holy and add culture/happiness to the area even with different state religions.
                  "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

I don't suppose you could give a quick rundown on what you changed?

I'd really like this mod, but i got my own mod which already modified those files.

Is it as simple as changing one parameter under each religious building?

Comment

I liked this mod. If you don't mind, I went ahead and added the changes you made into the XML's files I am editing for my own mod. Not just dropping your xmls as i already modded certain other things in each, but I looked over your xmls and added in the further changes you made.

I'm still looking for a way to cut in half the coins you get from shrines when you have free religion. grrr.

Comment

Yeah, the change is a simple one. Each building/unit has a StateReligion section, add the "Religion_Religiontype" entry to each unit/building you want to require said religion. For example in the Jewish Temples/Missionaries you'd have "StateReligion>RELIGION_JUDAISM" and so on for the others. Easy way to find the entries for the buildings is to search for ADVISOR_RELIGION, all the entries you encounter first will be the three temples and shrine buildings for the religions. And just searching for Mission works in the unitinfo.xml.

Edit- Yeah thats fine dearmad, its not like its some custom python script or anything, just a small change to the XML files anyone can do.
                        Last edited by ChaotikVisions; November 4, 2005, 15:15.

Comment

Thanks. And yeah, but I didn't think to do it- you did- and I would have been just swiping the idea from you.

Comment

first mod to be downloaded

thanks
                            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Have you considered just removing the bonuses from non state religion buildings? Removing happiness from temples and research bonus from monastaries seems easy enough, but removing the culture points doesn't seem possible. But the question is if that is even desirable. Anyway, since you're sometimes forced to change state religion due to mass conquest or a strong neighbour, you shouldn't gain much from it.

Comment

Working...
                              X