Expanding Diplomacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanding Diplomacy

I've completed 3 games so far, warlord, prince and monarch with culturual, domination and diplomacy victory respectivley. (and one game on diety where I finished second from the bottom )
    One thing I've realized up to this point is how fun it is to interact with other civs though diplomacy! Firaxis has done a realy good job with the AI here, you actuly have to consider who you befriend and who you screw over. What you do during the renesance era will effect relations during the modern era.
    This is especialy true during the endgame when large blocks of alliances begin to form. You have to chose sides or you might end up in between! I just love this.

The UN deserves a special mention too, because I find it one of the best improvements from previous games in the series. Force your opponents to adopt Free Religion, be the first one to create nukes only to ban everyone else to attain them, I just love it.

Basicly, I would like to expand these options. More diplomacy for the people! For example:

Expand the UN with
    - Embargos
    That one big, nasty civ thats pushing everyone around, gather your allies and force an embargo on it.
    Trade would effectivly be reduced to merchantilism, with no international trade routes. It would only last a few turns, or say untill the next UN vote.
    Another thing that would be so cool is if you could somehow link the embargo to another diplomacy criteria. For example, if one civ attacks another, the embargo could be placed on them with the contition it would be lifted it declares peace again.

- Exclusion
    Expells a civ from the UN, removing their right to vote on resolutions/sec.gen. To be used agaist agressive civs
    Duration should probably be turn based, but could also be permanent or untill another vote is cast to include the civ again.

Something else Id love to se is a less powerfull version of the UN avaliable earlier. Something that deals with trade for example. Perhaps a "forum" where civs could meet and discuss on neutral ground. It might not be very historical, but I just love the whole diplomacy deal.
    An idea would be this forum could be created with say litterature and become obsolete with nationalism.

That would be SWEET!

Also: diplo options for getting other civs to vote your way on UN resolutions. Is that possible and/or would it be too unbalancing?

Comment

Re: Expanding Diplomacy

Originally posted by FancyAFrederick

Expand the UN with
      - Embargos
      That one big, nasty civ thats pushing everyone around, gather your allies and force an embargo on it.
      Trade would effectivly be reduced to merchantilism, with no international trade routes. It would only last a few turns, or say untill the next UN vote.
      Another thing that would be so cool is if you could somehow link the embargo to another diplomacy criteria. For example, if one civ attacks another, the embargo could be placed on them with the contition it would be lifted it declares peace again.

- Exclusion
      Expells a civ from the UN, removing their right to vote on resolutions/sec.gen. To be used agaist agressive civs
      Duration should probably be turn based, but could also be permanent or untill another vote is cast to include the civ again.
      I like those two suggestions, though how effective would the AI be at suggesting the above resolutions/sancations if it were up for a vote/sec gen of un? As I can see it, this would really only be helpful for the human player as they would understand their impact better.

Like you'd have to code into the AI for it to recognise trade embargo's and being removed from the UN if it declares war on a nation. So that when you're negoitating for peace you could have them act as positive modifiers that would make it that much more likely the AI would accept your peace treaty, unless it really wants you gone .

I just don't see the AI taking advantage of any additional UN resolutions that get added, unless you make changes to the AI. Tho my understanding of CIV4 AI is quite pathetic so I could be wrong.

So long as the AI can take advantage of them as much as the human player, then this would be wicked idea!

Something else Id love to se is a less powerfull version of the UN avaliable earlier. Something that deals with trade for example. Perhaps a "forum" where civs could meet and discuss on neutral ground. It might not be very historical, but I just love the whole diplomacy deal.
      An idea would be this forum could be created with say litterature and become obsolete with nationalism.
      Well there was the League of Nations which was the predeccessor to the United Nations, maybe somone could build the League of Nations as Wonder that is made obsolete by the United Nations once thats built? Sort of like how if you miss out on a relgiion early on you have a chance for a late religion (ie Islam/Christianity etc).

It would be nice if someone was able to implement your suggestions and ensure the AI is able to take advantage of it as much as the human player.

Both ideas are great, it makes the united nations actually worth while more than just having it so u can have nukes and no one else . Plus the "early un" (e.g. League of Nations wonder I suggested) would be a good "minor wonder" to get to allow you to play around with its benefits.

Well i've rambled on for long enough...

cheers.
      Last edited by pengoz; November 5, 2005, 19:05.

Comment

Working...
      X