Migration instead of culture flip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration instead of culture flip

Culture flipping has always seemed unrealistic to me, and others have expressed similar sentiments. How, then, the demonstrate the powerful pull one civilization's culture may have on another civ?

I think it would be pretty easy to mod migration. When the conditions are met between the neighboring cities of two neighboring civs where a city would likely culture-flip, remove a point or two of population from the "flipping" city and add it to the city of the culturally dominant civ that's nearest to the "flipper."

This could be modified by civics - police state or slavery could hinder or curtail the possibility of losing population.

Something to consider, and (I say this knowing next to dick about programming) easy to implement, I think.

tough call here

what about the following

as they leave the city, certain builds get destroyed

temples,grainaries...something to show their disatifaction
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

In real life, immigrants don't burn down the local cathedral on the way out. What I'm suggesting is a gentler form of culture flip, where the entire city doesn't flip (because that has never happened, to the best of my knowledge), whereas people relocate all the time.

Losing pop is still unwanted, so you'd have to take steps to prevent your citizens from leaving - positive steps, like raising the culture in your city to keep your citizens happy, or negtive steps, like adopting civics (police state would be a good candidate, I think) that suppress migration.

It's just a way of keeping the general gameplay mechanic without having something as bizarre as an entire city joining another nation. And I think it could be pretty easy to mod.

Comment

would you welcome them with open arms ?

or

call them slave ?

Comment

Cities in direct cultural conflict with more powerful cities lose some hammers, gold and food to the higher culture city. It thus becomes not as drastic as a culture flip and a little more subtle than a pop. transfer.

A blurring of the borders. Similar to crossing state lines to buy lotto tickets...
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

a new national wonder ? (seriously)

Immagration station

Comment

Immigration and emigration are a key dynamic that I would like to see in the game. Instead of replacing culture-flipping outright, I suggest instead that it happen only when the nearby culture is strong, but not extremely so. The latter case should still cause a flip.

Immigration and emigration should obey borders. If you have closed borders, your people can't leave, and you also cannot get immigrants. With open borders, you might lose people, but with closed borders, those people will stick around being unhappy and eating food without contributing, and they should increase a city's chances of flipping, of being lost in a war, etc.

Comment

Emigration instead of culture flip would be great.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

We should mod the inmigration model from Paradox's Victoria, where a number of parameters (political measures, industrial need of people, prestige, etc) make other people leave its home country and go to another seeking more oportunities.
                  Owww, I'm so cute! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                  X