Would this mod be popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this mod be popular?

I'm having a friendly disagreement with another member of this community about whether or not this scenario would be popular - please feel free to weigh in.

The main intent: A scenario in which every player knows they are certain to lose military, and demonstrates their prowess in hanging on against impossible odds for longer than any opponent. (In MP, this would be live-comparison, in SP, by "death dates.")

The map: Randomly generated with possible bottlenecks and strongpoints, flatlands, etc.

The antagonist: At regular, fairly steady intervals, large aggressive forces would move in from a predictable set of directions (sometimes land, sometimes sea, but always from particular directions) that would gradually increase in technological prowess as well as size. These forces would both pillage and attack townships.

The goal: Survive as long as possible.

Historical basis, if needed: This could be set as "Mongols coming west," or "Stop the Europeans."

Would such a scenario interest you for its "Pay for the ground you take from me" or "Heroic last stand" potential? Or would a scenario where you are certain to "lose" eventually (in the sense of being militarily eliminated, though you might win against your co-players) leave a bad taste in your mouth?

Please offer up your thoughts!
    That sounds GREAT! I'd play it a lot.
    6.52%
    Not too bad. I'd play it some.
    30.43%
    Meh. Maybe once or twice.
    26.09%
    Eugh. I'm sure to lose all my cities? No thanks.
    21.74%
    I'd be willing to try it with these modifications: (POST BELOW)
    2.17%
    Only if the invading armies had a banana flag.
    13.04%
    Friedrich Psitalon
    Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
    Consultant, Firaxis Games

Sounds fun.

Comment

I probably wouldn't play it more than once, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would find it interesting

Comment

Ahh, memories of StarCraft.

I'd certainly be interested in such a scenario if I could still "win" it by surviving X turns or something like that!
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'd certainly give it a go.

King of the hill!!!
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'd certainly try it

Comment

I would try it, but I would prefer it like Solver said: if you weren't *certain* to lose, but would actually win if you hang on for long enough.
              XBox Live: VovanSim
              xbox.com (login required)
              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
              Spore page

Comment

Hmmmmm, tower defense.

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
                  I would try it, but I would prefer it like Solver said: if you weren't *certain* to lose, but would actually win if you hang on for long enough.
                  Technically if you last until 2050 (?) AD...

Comment

Originally posted by Verenti
                    Technically if you last until 2050 (?) AD...
                    Right, at that point, the game I suppose would be over without me being eradicated, but still, there are two things: (1) I imagine you might be able to mod it so the game does not end at 2050? (2) Depending on how the scenario is set up, you might not win even at that point, because the undefeatable nation that sends regular waves of attackers at you might have more points. I imagine it would be quite frustrating to have lasted until the timeout year, just to see a loss by points screen.

Vovan
                    Spore page

Comment

Ah...If there were a way to win, such as the Starcraft mission Solver mentioned, I would indeed be interested in it.

Comment

Originally posted by vovan

Right, at that point, the game I suppose would be over without me being eradicated, but still, there are two things: (1) I imagine you might be able to mod it so the game does not end at 2050? (2) Depending on how the scenario is set up, you might not win even at that point, because the undefeatable nation that sends regular waves of attackers at you might have more points. I imagine it would be quite frustrating to have lasted until the timeout year, just to see a loss by points screen.

Vovan
                        You could grant the player civ a bunch of really valuable victory point locations. Basically so that whoever holds those cities wins.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                          You could grant the player civ a bunch of really valuable victory point locations. Basically so that whoever holds those cities wins.
                          That's true.
                          Spore page

Comment

this would be an interesting twist F-P

BUT only if the invading armies had the banana flag of course
                            Last edited by conmcb25; October 20, 2005, 15:08.
                            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Well, cool, now all I need is someone who's sharp in XML and Python willing to do some coding work and work with me on design/balancing.
                              Friedrich Psitalon
                              Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                              Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Working...
                              X