Please change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please change...

The current "take this FF or loose him forever" forced choice is really annoying in so far it's hindering you to pursue a strategy based on getting certain FF in a certain order.

Say example I wan't Peter Minuit ASAP in order to buy a cheap galleon and heaps of cheaper colonists.

With the current system I am forced to make a one time choice to get especially the early exploration FF before I have accumulated enough political points in order to buy (in this example) Peter Minuit.

Can't we at the very least get an option to choose a specific FF as the next we wan't to pursue as soon as a FF is joining you without having to decline other "buyable" FF in the process?

Or am I the only one seeing this as a problem?

Re: Please change...

Originally posted by hjaco
    The current "take this FF or loose him forever" forced choice is really annoying in so far it's hindering you to pursue a strategy based on getting certain FF in a certain order.
    The FF menu (somewhat) follows the history of the New World colonies; if you noticed, most of the revolutionary war figures are near the end. Yeah, it's kind of annoying that you lose someone if you don't take him but it also makes sense; many famous explorers shopped around Europe until they could find some regent to finance an expedition, so if you don't get him, someone else will. If you want to make that sacrifice to get another FF, that's a strategic decision you have to make.

[SIZE=1] Can't we at the very least get an option to choose a specific FF as the next we wan't to pursue as soon as a FF is joining you without having to decline other "buyable" FF in the process?
    That's the way the original colonization worked, but I'm guessing that changing it from its current form would probably require serious modding, if not a complete redesign requiring programming costing thousands of dollars (I could be wrong, though). I guess keeping the original formula just wasn't in the designers' plan (probably because it would encourage competition for FF's, esp. in multiplayer). Besides, what sense would getting John Adams in 1520 make? (other than making the game way easier, of course.)

Comment

In the original col, you didn't compete for FFs. All factions could get all of them. The new system allows for competition in a much better way IMHO. I agree that refused FF's should ask again the next time (if they're not taken yet). I haven't looked at the code, but I don't think it would be a hard thing to do....
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r
        In the original col, you didn't compete for FFs. All factions could get all of them. The new system allows for competition in a much better way IMHO. I agree that refused FF's should ask again the next time (if they're not taken yet). I haven't looked at the code, but I don't think it would be a hard thing to do....
        Then that would make an easy game even easier.

Comment

Perhaps the answer is to alow extra check options for a custom game.

"FFs may be offered more than once"
          "FFs can be shared by all nations"
          Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
          Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

It's called strategy: you have to decide whether to do something or not. This certainly isn't going to be something we change in the patchmod, as it's an interesting game mechanic.

If you were to change it yourself, it would be a DLL mod.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'm looking to add a mark on the FF screen so you know who you've bypassed, but I ain't changing their functionality. Why should you get a second go?

Then the ONLY strategy is to get minuet asap and then go back and get the others. Need some penalty applied for taking that strategy.

Comment

Welcome to Apolyton hjaco.
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Working...
                X