Worth Getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth Getting?

I saw this at the store today for a very reasonable 29.99 USD.

I currently have BTS and love it.

I have never played the old Colonization.

Is this game worth my thirty bucks and time?

How is the multiplayer? Does it have pitboss support like CIV4?

Thanks in advance!

Don;t buy it until the solve the bugs IMO.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I'd wait a few months for official patches and unofficial mods that tweak and balance.

´Haven't tried multiplayer.

It's very unlike BTS. You have one victory condition, and everything you do is aimed at that. You do not have a goal of building a huge trade empire, friendly with natives etc. Those are only tools to help you become independant. If you dislike the concept that you can only win by military conflict, then it's not for you.

Comment

I'm torn; On the one hand, I am completely annoyed at some of the design decisions to the point that I find myself quitting twenty minutes into a lot of games when it is clear I'm going to win. On the other hand, there's enough of a good game in there that I still find myself loading up new games even though I know I'm going to get annoyed twenty minutes in.

I think it will definitely be worth it once the patching/modding is done. As it is, I think it's way too easy even on the highest difficulty level and a lot of the design encourages you to skip over large parts of the game as unnecessary or counterproductive.

Comment

At this point I find the game more frustrating than fun, and I want to have fun playing any game I buy. I have a feeling this game was dumbed down so they could port it to consoles.

Comment

I love the game myself. It has a great feel to it and I enjoy the way the game encapsulates two smaller mini-games, the economic early game and the military late game.

Comment

It's really close to a great game but as it is, it's broken. I couldn't recommend it in its current state.

A variety of victory conditions, an end game that requires a functioning economy and concepts that work intuitively are all sadly missing.
              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Overall, not yet. I myself have given up until an official patch is released.

If this comes, and fixes the more egregious issues, then I'll change my recommendation to "Yes, if a fan of Civ type games". Otherwise, my opinion stays as "No, as it is sadly a rush job that's a shadow of what it could/should have been".

Comment

Working...
                X