Strange indian behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange indian behaviour

In one game I didn't produce any liberty bells and only bought land from the Indians. At some point they declared war on me because I had a -16 "You threaten our way of living".

In a game a bit after that one I produced a few liberty bells. Enough to push borders and culturally overwhelm the Indians but not enough to threaten the king. Instead of being furious because I just took there lands (I only paid for the small fat cross after all) they came to me and asked me the permission to abandon their cities. As result only the -1 or -2 diplo penalty that comes with time remained and thus they did not declare war on me and were pleased.

WTF?

Why do they ask me for permission to abandon their city?
    Why do I get a diplo penalty for allowing them to remain living in their cities? (If I refuse the request to abandon their city I get a "You threaten our way of living".)
    Why do they go to war with me if I buy their land and are pleased towards me when I raze half of their cities this way?

In case it matters: The war Indians were the Awaraks and I don't remember which tribe was so eager to commit suicide but it was a different one. I had about the same number of soldiers.

This should definitely be changed.

When an Indian city meets the condition where it is about to culture flip, perhaps instead it should declare itself independant of it's tribe (nation) and form a new one! AND it is at war with the nation whose culture encroached on it. This could effectively make it like a city-state. It could also be at war from the tribe it just broke from.

This brings up another point. Do Indian tribes ever go to war with each other? It might be interesting if they did.
    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Settle between 2 tribes. Make a defensive pact with the one and sell them guns and horses. Settle on the territory of the other without paying. War is unlikely because you have an ally which is stronger on the power graph.

An interesting question is if they would help you in the war of independence. As it's the king who declares war a defensive pact should drag them into the war.

This brings up another point. Do Indian tribes ever go to war with each other? It might be interesting if they did.
      Indians are pretty passive so they wont declare war by them selves. However I think that they could be dragged into a war by a defensive pact or bribed to go to war.
      EDIT: They can be bribed into Indian wars.
      EDIT 2: They enter into the war of independence if you previously had a defensive pact with them.
      Last edited by ben04; October 5, 2008, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rusty Gamer ...

I have seen Native wars.
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

LB-based indian land taking represents culture - in this case, the European culture overwhelming the Native culture. Not unrealistic (quite true that it happened in the US in some places!), and also an effective gameplay mechanic. It gives you a reason to make LBs, after all...
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
          X