Start-up Mod Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start-up Mod Suggestion

I have been playing both mixed MP games and SP games. And in either case, there has been the same start up problem. On both SP & MP, I have found that having a soldier and pioneer to start with really hurts the game.

One can take the soldier, ride around on the boat, and take the other colonies out immediately. I don't like it. But it's possible. People will use it.

If the pioneer starts the city, then the soldier can defend. Sure. But why, when you can race around meeting all the natives and getting all the treasure? So the soldier, in most cases isn't even going to defend. Even if he does, he stands a good chance of losing to a more experienced marauder soldier with some bonuses.

On top of that, the AI seems to use the Soldier to FOUND every settlement. Using the pioneer to blindly go making farms. So there is no defense, and a free pioneer waiting for you because they don't bother running away once you capture the settlement. Perhaps another issue there.

I started two games in a row conquering the other colonies immediately and getting some extra pioneers too, and ALL THE TREASURES and first meeting bonuses. Good for me, but not right.

The Solution:

Each boat gets ONE PIONEER & enough GUNS in CARGO to make one soldier once more people get there.

Basically, a regular pioneer, who brought some guns on the boat. This way, no one can rush in the first 20 turns.

If you choose to plant a settlement, immigration points immediately come, so the first person over can be a soldier or pioneer or worker. Depending on your strategy. It wouldn't take long.

If you choose to take the original pioneer and explore to meet people and find treasure, fine. But he can't take over anyone's first settlement because he isn't a soldier. You get beads and stuff and go get another immigrant. Who then founds the first city.

Either way the problem with the RUSH tactic is removed, and no one gets two or three colony's worth of settlements and pioneers.

Besides, why would there be a small army on a colonist exploration type of boat to begin with? If it were me, I would give the colonists guns, and enough supplies to get a good start. certainly not just loading up the boats with half soldiers who need fed and paid, not expected to work.

It might make the beginning game take two minutes longer is the only downside I can think of. A price I'm willing to pay to not be tempted to wipe out the competition right out of the gate. It's just too easy to go marauding on the coast with a boat and soldier right now.

A military beginning is a valid one, and could still work, but everyone would be on even ground to get SOME defenses going. It would take an effort to quickly get that soldier. A trip back and forth from Europe to the city to get the stored guns then off to invade. Whereas the defense just has to go back to Europe to get the immigrant to arm once he returns.

You certainly couldn't be rolling around right away meeting new Natives with the boat if you were going back to Europe.

There's a much easier way to make sure nobody can rush in the first twenty turns. Make it impossible for anyone to declare war in the first twenty turns, except against the Indians.

Having two units at start is useful, because you can scout at first, or you can found two cities... Also, in MP at least, the strategy is dumb (you maybe take out one other team, and even then you have a reasonable chance to lose to their garrison; meanwhile the other 2 teams are plugging away and way ahead of you after a short time.) In SP, the strategy works because the AI sucks. That's easily correctable...

Anyway, at least the prices are now, I'm fairly sure you could sail to europe and immediately sell your tools and guns, and then equip your starting colonist with guns in europe, if you wanted to rush.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

20 turn limitation has been put in for the PatchMod. I'm still working on the leaderhead animation though.

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X