No announcement yet.

Weird REF behavior - is this intended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird REF behavior - is this intended?

I just finished playing a game where i declared independence around 180 turns or so into the game.

The first 2 REF waves show up as I would expect them to - however, after I killed all of the ground troops in the 2nd wave, the King just kept bombarding my 2 settlements with his 1 remaining man o'war (the other man'o war in the wave died to a lucky caravel, and the other 2 were nowhere to be seen.

About 100 (no exaggeration) turns later of the King doing absolutely nothing except bombarding my settlements with his 1 Man'o war, I finished building 2 privateers, and was able to destroy the man'o war, with 5 turns left in the game.

Right after that, the king sent his remaining forces, and I killed the rest of his ground units in 1 turn.

I'm guessing this is some sort of bug, where the King won't send his troops (maybe because he sees tons of guys in your coastal cities?)

This happen to anyone else?

I had the same thing in my last game as well. Eventually, I figured out, that the King had also sent forces to one of my native allies and was also in battle with them. "the other 2 were nowhere to be seen" indicates, that the same might have happened in your game. Instead of sending his ships back to Europe, the King waits until the battle is fought out with the natives. Apparently, if any of the King's troops are still alive in the New World, he does not send for re-enforcements.
    This is of course bad for the player, as you might run out of time to reach victory. The only thing you can do is to go actively searching for his troops in the jungle. I think this AI strategy should be improved/changed.

Comment

I'm not sure, but shouldn't the King have to MAKE you not revolt? Isn't the point of him declaring war on you? It doesn't make sense to have the time limit to the war if the ball is in his court.

ie., you're independent until he proves otherwise.

I'm just spit-balling here, but I don't think the game views force the same way that I do. If I say I'm a free man, I am until someone puts a gun to me and locks me up, taking away my freedom.

If the King thinks that the colony is HIS, he should have to take it by force. Or it is what it is. You running your own colony, trading and manufacturing goods.

Comment

Exactly, the king should actively send for more troops immediately (at least with some of his ships) and do the bombarding of the cities with the remaining ships or when he comes back and has no more troops waiting at home.

Comment

In the original Colonization, the REF would land one shipload of troops every turn, nice and mechanically. Something along those lines should happen here--not necessarily one ship per turn, but the troops should keep a-coming, reflecting the notion that the King wants to crush you with overwhelming force.
          Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

This is almost certainly related to the two islands problem...

I had a game with 8 cities on one island and 2 on the other, and the 30% of his force that went and destoryed the 20% of my force that was on those islands just sat there while his main army was slaughtered, then as he had 30 man o war+ i had a hell of a time shuttling more men over there, but eventually made it.

Comment

Working...
            X