Soldiers > Dragoons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldiers > Dragoons?

So I finished my first game of Col last night, and I noticed that during the WoI, dragoons are rather useless against the REF. Since most of the kings troops have the Formation promotion, dragoons end up boosting the REF combat bonuses considerably. By just dismounting my (essentially unpromoted) units, I was able to reverse my odds of winning from 30% to over 60%.

Cannon weren't all that useful either, although I think that was more due to the fact that I destroyed the landing parties as soon as they hit the beaches and never let them hit the one city they were determined on taking.

I completely disagree. Used correctly, dragoons can win the war and you don't even need soldiers and cannons.

Comment

On the offensive, Dragoons can be quite useful, especially with the Skirmisher promotions to increase their withdrawal odds. Don't leave them exposed to enemy attack--have a Soldier fortified on a hill or in a forest one or two tiles away so that you have a place to defend them, and withdraw to there instead of sitting in place for the REF to pound you. You're best off with a hit-and-run attack when you use mounted troops.
      Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Actually this is one of the things I like about the remake. Soldiers and Dragoons are both very useful, in different roles. Mainly because the different promotions they can get.

Soldiers are cheaper and weaker, but receive defensive bonusses and terrain-specific and defensive promotions.

Dragoons on the other hand are faster, and have a higher base strength value. Their speed allows them to pick their own fights, allowing them to win and gain promotions, which make them even stronger. Disadvantage is that they don't get terrain-specific or defense bonusses.

A good mix that is used correctly is vital to any colonial army.
        daddy daddy, look i'm playing american facist and i'm nuking babylon

Comment

Working...
        X