Economic Issues: Trade & Barter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economic Issues: Trade & Barter?

I am really enjoying the complexity of the Economics in the game. I do have some questions though.

Is there a way to trade goods for goods with the Natives?

I know that you can trade your items for gold, then exchange the gold for their goods. But when the Natives have no money, it puts a bit of a stranglehold on the trading.

It seems like when I have goods, and want to trade it only offers me to Sell what I have, then I can ask to trade again, and buy with gold what they have. Clearly they don't value gold since they trade all of theirs away. So why is it so essential to trade? 300 Food for 300 Cigars?

Do I need to take an empty wagon and ask to buy their stuff first so they can get money with which to give right back to me for the stuff on the other wagon? If so, that is just a waste of a wagon.

anyone know this? or is it just a dumb question? my apologies if I'm missing something.

Comment

You can trade with the natives... but not for goods, no. You need to go via gold.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Is that fixable? Goods for goods. Barter. No one had gold pieces with my king's face on it.

Comment

Yes--it's a major stumbling block when you are unable to trade with the Indians due to them having no cash. Why shouldn't I be able to trade 100 Tobacco for 100 Cotton if I wish, and if the Indians have the Cotton and want the Tobacco?
          Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

I offer 300 Tools, and say "What would you give me for this?"

He would pay 1500 gp for it. but doesn't have gold. So instead offers 1500 gp worth of food. Maybe 255 of his 300 food? whatever its worth to him. Not even 300 for 300.. The scale could fluctuate.

Which btw, I've tried Shift-Clicking, Right, left, ctrl, shift+ctrl. . . There doesn't 'seem to be a way to trade less than everything on the ship, either partial holds, or just individual holds. Even if they only have enough gold for one hold's worth. I have to sail all the way back home, and store some in wagons, then make separate trips to each place to sell the one or two holds individually.

I think it's all or nothing right now.

Comment

Working...
            X