Taxation frequency is tied to sons of liberty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxation frequency is tied to sons of liberty

I usually try to build SoL as high as fast as possible for the great economic bonuses and the founding fathers bonuses.

However it seems in the current system, NOT building sons of liberty is the way to go. The king seems to tax you WAY WAY less and also build up his army much slower. I am not able to keep pace, but I am have almost half as much of an army as him.

I lose all the great benifits from having high sons of liberty but at this rate I may be able to push to the 50% in 10 or so turns with a ton of statesman and get an army comprable in size to the king.

The frequency of taxation is without a doubt tied to your sons of liberty. I've not built mine at all and am taxed a third as often, if that.

Indeed, both REF and Taxes are based on SoL.

Personally I feel like perhaps one (Taxes) should not be based on SoL, but perhaps on something else - anger of the king, or amount of commerce, or population, or colony count, or year, or ... something else. Tying both to SoL makes the avoid-SoL strategy very powerful, and it seems like having two avoidance schemes instead of one would be better.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Taxation also seems to be tied to creating new militarty. I notice as I begin to increase my army size, the king is asking for new taxes every 3 or 4 turns.

Comment

I'm not getting involved.

Comment

Heh, what do you mean?

Snoopy, I agree. Logically and gameplay wise, linking taxes to SoL is a bad idea.

Comment

Taxation is not just linked to SoL. My Bells are zero, and Im halfway thru a game right now. My tax rate is 40% plus.

I think it must also be linked to how many goods you sell in Europe. And also possibly to the goods you buy in Europe.

Both are also related to what your choice of a "tea party" good you get as well but that sort of a separate issue.
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

It's related to how much you trade, for sure...

Comment

Okay, the relationship is (from the code):

1. It compares the most traded item (eg: ciggies) against a trade threshold.
                2. It then compares the total amount traded of the most traded item against a multiplier. This multiplier is made up of components from current tax rate, current King attitude (piss him off, the higher the multiplier), with a bit of game speed "GrowthPercent" thrown in as well as a general TAX_TRADE_THRESHOLD (from GlobalDefines).
                3. It thens random picks a number 0-99 and if its less than TAX_INCREASE_CHANCE it increases the tax.

So tax hikes are based on the amount traded of your highest trade item (eg: ciggies), the King's attitude, the current tax rate and game speed.

The amount the tax rate increases is simply 1 + random(TAX_RATE_MAX_INCREASE) from GlobalDefines. It's not related to trade amounts or anything.

Comment

Ahah. So refusing those payments incurs higher taxes (or more frequent tax raises)... interesting!

Comment

I think that was already implied on the previews...
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      Ahah. So refusing those payments incurs higher taxes (or more frequent tax raises)... interesting!
                      Dale mentioned there was no penalty at all in the other thread (re: linking payments to REF). Does this mean that there's some background variable about the King's attitude, and that it's linked to the payments?

If so, I remember a thread a while back about quests and random events BTS style. Being ordered by the King to find a source for new types of resources, or capture an enemy settlement, and doing that to make the king happier would be pretty cool.

Any interest in that? I'm assuming events like that would be pretty simple to add.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

The King is just another civ - so yes, there's a background variable, just like in civ with the other competing civs.

Events are already there, I think (just not utilized) - but yes, you probably could do that.

Comment

Yes, refusing those payments scores a -1 diplo, but seriously, after the first twently turns you'll have like +2, or higher from "Years of peace". Refusing everything, I've never seen the King more pissed off than cautious.

Comment

Dale,
                            I've seen him annoyed quite often.
                            Flash
                            Ἐí ἀñ÷ῇ ἦí ὁ ëüãïò, êáὶ ὁ ëüãïò ἦí ðñὸò ôὸí èåüí, êáὶ èåὸò ἦí ὁ ëüãïò.
                            the Moderator of the World Creators

Comment

Is there anyway to improve his opinion of you? I've accepted every tax increase and payout, never asking for help in return.

Seems like a good spot for Rome: TW styled "missions."

Comment

Working...
                              X