First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Impressions

So I basically got started with this whole Civilization thing back in 1994 with the original Colonization. Played it to death until Civ 2 came out. And so on and so forth. Been praying for Colonization 2 ever since.

Day of days! Here's my first impressions after about eight hours of play (I'll get the *****in out of the way first):
    • Into video is pretty standard. I kind of miss my boat being attacked by dragons on a map. Ah well.
    • The process for entering a game is almost criminal. The "Play Now!" requires at least four clicks to get started. Why on Earth would a new player need to customize their Civ's name as part of the startup process? That could feasibly be a one-off setup option attached to a button somewhere.
    • The lack of mouseover hints on the world setup screen is ultra-bad. I have no way of knowing what Marathon speed does without experimenting, exitting, and coming back. In fact, there's a lot of problems on this screen. See here:
      Here be Dragons
    • The leaders concept is fantastic. Allows spins on the four nations. I especially liked that the previously anemic European nations have been buffed *cough* France *cough*.
    • I like that they borrowed the commissioning text from the original Colonization, that was a nice touch.
    • It took me a minute to get reacquainted with the Civilization IV controls. Once I had figured it out, I was off and running.
    • It was really strange that Indians made contact with me before my boat had visually reached the new world. It wasn't until I was done with diplomacy that I saw their settlement.
    • The lack of visual fanfare is kind of sad. The original game had tons of congratulatory messages. For instance, discovering the new world, founding your first colony, meeting the natives, native attacks, the fountain of youth, first goods to europe, etc. TONS of congratulatory visual feedback for the player.
    • The first screen I'm greeted with after founding my colony is basically build something or die. You can't escape it unless you select something. Even if you don't know anything about the game, buildings, or what your town is building yet.
    • The reverse queue is kind of confusing. It seems like buildings I click on to build bump my current construction out of the way. Maybe I'm reading this wrong or haven't mastered it yet, but it seems to negate the purpose of a building queue... it's more like a stack where you have to figure out what you want to build last.
    • I noticed pretty quick that a lot of the economy's been abstracted or combined in other ways. I think it's actually a really good move. Having to incessantly rearm my pioneers with tools did get kind of old.
    • I'll retouch on the lacking visual fanfare. I really miss the graphically detailed backgrounds of the original Colonization's Europe, ports, and various adviser screens. In the original, when I was in Europe, it looked like a port. Now it looks like a shipping manifest. The dock is a box, the cargo holds have been swapped for rectangles, sailing to and from the colonies is now a big arrow. And I'll also point out that the old visually compelling European screen, with its bright happy colors have been replaced by brown, brown, and brown.
    • I wasn't aware I was earning points towards my first founding father until I actually got him. Then I investigated more. It turns out the switch to the way the Continental Congress was handled is really, really cool. However, there's no way to know that it exists early on, and I'm still missing the connection between certain point types and how I earn them.
    • The automated cargo routes are good, but it can be kind of confusing to find the route you want to assign something to if you have a lot of routes. Also, once you've assigned a route, good luck remembering which cart goes where. I had to resort to renaming the little buggies--something I believe the original Colonization did for you.
    • Everything about the Natives that has changed has been for the better. You can train multiple times at a village, but it trains more slowly. Excellent. You can trade with a village very frequently, and their cash supply restores over time. Also great. You can peacefully vanquish cities if you overcome them with "culture."
    • The only weird Native thing that I can now do is train converts at the village. This was forbidden in the original, perhaps for plausibility reasons, but seems like an OK addition to the game.
    • I had natives with whom I was on very good terms up and declare war on me out of nowhere. That pretty much brought the end to a four hour session. Gosh I hate flipswitch diplomacy. Perhaps they were bought off, but I was given no indication that relations had soured or that they were going to war because of a foreign power. It seemed very random, and quite vexing.
    • Taxes get out of hand extremely quickly. By turn 100 the king was blasting me with 30% tax. Perhaps it's easier to make money (and it seemed that way), but by comparison, even the most runaway king would only impose around 20% tax by the end of an original game. Tax could only increase by increments of 1% in that game. I haven't yet proven out if his increases have to do with your reputation level with him. I would be surprised if they are unrelated.
    • If the king's army has anything to do with the amount of money he collects from you (as it did in the original), it seems like that army could get out of hand very quickly.
    • I'm nostalgic for the old fife and drum style music of the original. Enough so to load it into the custom music directory...
    • I'm intrigued by the concept of multiplayer. It's one of the features I wish the original had.
    • Some of the entries in the Civilopedia are pretty barren.

But overall I'm quite pleased. It's very easy to get sucked into the gameplay. Much of the original Colonization has been copied verbatim, and much has been streamlined and tweaked to be made better or simpler. A lot of the cute touches of the original are missing, but the game doesn't really suffer them much. It's Colonization, it's fricken sweet. Like Pizza. Only with fewer calories.
    Last edited by DarthVeda; September 25, 2008, 00:15.

Thanks for posting your first impressions. But i think you are wrong about the taxes in the original game: I dont think they could only increase in increments of 1% and i certainly had tax levels over 20% in the original game. Otherwise, this one FF who translates tax-level to liberty-bells would have been kinda pointless almost... Maybe you only played it on the easiest level ? Well, i didnt go far beyond that either, but i think i can remember increments of like 6% (rare) and levels of 35+%...

Comment

You may be correct, but I thought he just levies taxes more often?

I also miss the king's dog.

Comment

Good write up. I believe I agree with most of your points. However its clear you are farther along than me in gameplay at this point. And your memories of the original game are much better. I played the heck out of the original but not regularly for several years.

What were your initial settings? Did you play the standard game or one of the mods?

One thing that Vexxed me initially was how to set up the wagon train routes but once it was explained to me, it made sense. I probably should have read the ingame Civilopdeia about it, maybe that would have helped.

One thing I also noticed and you did not mention was the customized unit promotions. I set two scouts on automated on the large Western Hemispehere map last night and got lots of promotions on the two units. They seemed both to make sense and fit into the "spirit" of Colonization.
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Build queue you add to with shift-click.

An excellent write-up indeed
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

LOL at the game name being A_New_World. Could it be any more obvious they put this together in 5 minutes.
            Last edited by Wiglaf; September 25, 2008, 13:42.

Comment

I am beginning to think its time to set up a Strategy/ Helpful Hints thread.................
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by conmcb25
                Good write up. I believe I agree with most of your points. However its clear you are farther along than me in gameplay at this point. And your memories of the original game are much better. I played the heck out of the original but not regularly for several years.

What were your initial settings? Did you play the standard game or one of the mods?

One thing that Vexxed me initially was how to set up the wagon train routes but once it was explained to me, it made sense. I probably should have read the ingame Civilopdeia about it, maybe that would have helped.

One thing I also noticed and you did not mention was the customized unit promotions. I set two scouts on automated on the large Western Hemispehere map last night and got lots of promotions on the two units. They seemed both to make sense and fit into the "spirit" of Colonization.
                I was playing mod-free as the French on 'Explorer'.

Unless you get into other nation's faces with combat, or run around with your scouts (which I did do), unit promotions don't happen very frequently. It would have been nice to see peaceful promotions for my trading efforts. Carry More cargo, move faster, etc. Most of the promotions seem like carry-overs from Civ IV.

Comment

Maybe I did something wrong, but I wasn't able to get my rebellion up to 50% before time ran out. I was playing at normal speed on the huge map of the new world. I pretty much had a statesman on every town hall and took as many founding fathers I could get that boosted my bells. My tax rate eventually hit an astounding 65% and I still didn't have rebel sentiment above 30%. You would think a tax rate THAT high would automatically cause sentiment to hit 50%

Comment

Your soldiers (including garrisoned ones) count AGAINST your rebel %, so that's probably your problem. They have to be working in a city in order to not count against it.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      Your soldiers (including garrisoned ones) count AGAINST your rebel %, so that's probably your problem. They have to be working in a city in order to not count against it.
                      So whats the trick have them all working, go to 50% and then pull them for battle?

Comment

The trick is to have enough statesman that all of your city population is 100% SoL.

Comment

Well, that helps too of course, but Con, you have it right.

Comment

I really miss the custom house. Especially when my tax rates go over 50%!

I've found a somewhat suitable alternative in the Warhouse Expansion that sells my goods at half price. At least the king's not getting my money...

Comment

Update.

While playing on Epic, I'm on turn 310, in fine economic shape, and I'm not sure I can summon the will to finish this game. My tax is sitting at 62%, the royal expedition forces are growing by four for every one soldier I crank out.

Love the start of the game. Mid-game fun too. End-game just a loooong grind to be able to push the "finish the game already" button.

Seriously... 62% tax... what the heck? There's no way to make the king happy.

Comment

Working...
                              X