Automating Wagon Trains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automating Wagon Trains

How does it work, I press the button ingame, and it appears to do nothing?

What am I missing?

Thanks?
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

You have to go to the F1 menu and then Import-Export. Create some trade routes by telling cities what they should be importing/exporting.

I'm not particularly happy with how these work, to be honest, though I see why it was done this way. Trade routes in Machiavelli/Merchant Prince 2 were much simpler (and that was a Col 1 - era game...) where you selected "begin trade route" with a ship, told it what city to start with and what to pick up, what city to go to next and what to sell/pick up, city 3, 4, etc. I also don't see a way to have a trade route go to Europe...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

OK maybe thats what Im missing, I set up the export but didn't set up the import.

Then after that do you just click the start trade route button for the wagon train?
      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I think you pick a trade route. I haven't really used it yet because it's not very user friendly... I should probably give it a shot though.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

OK Ill dink around with it tonight.

Comment

After setting up some imports and exports, just click "fully automate" and your wagon trains take care of the rest. You can also assign a wagon train to a specific route, but I prefer just the general fully automate as then a wagon train will perform all routes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
              After setting up some imports and exports, just click "fully automate" and your wagon trains take care of the rest. You can also assign a wagon train to a specific route, but I prefer just the general fully automate as then a wagon train will perform all routes.
              Good to know, thanks Dale

Comment

Just make sure for every export a city is importing it, or it'll never move.

Oh, and make sure the importing city has PLENTY of space! Warehouse + expansion is useful to this city to ensure you don't go over the threshold.

I like to set my main city (the one my galleons take stuff to Europe from) to import everything except food and wood, and then have the other cities export to it.

Comment

OK Ill try this out tonight.

I fear Im way behind the power curve but the first game was to get the feel of the game anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                    Oh, and make sure the importing city has PLENTY of space! Warehouse + expansion is useful to this city to ensure you don't go over the threshold.
                    In other words, there is a usual 4x problem: you may set it to auto, but if you want it to be efficient, do it manually and prepare for a lot of micro :/
                    Knowledge is Power

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      You have to go to the F1 menu and then Import-Export. Create some trade routes by telling cities what they should be importing/exporting.

I'm not particularly happy with how these work, to be honest, though I see why it was done this way. Trade routes in Machiavelli/Merchant Prince 2 were much simpler (and that was a Col 1 - era game...) where you selected "begin trade route" with a ship, told it what city to start with and what to pick up, what city to go to next and what to sell/pick up, city 3, 4, etc. I also don't see a way to have a trade route go to Europe...

To get a trade route to Europe going with the Auto Mode you can do 1 of two things.

1) Export something with none of your towns Importing it
                      2) Export something with your towns that also import set to a Export threshhold. (So it is checked Import and Export, and then give it a number to keep)

All of the excess goes to Europe. Naturally this works best if you have a Boat in Auto Mode with your Trains.

Comment

Working...
                      X