No announcement yet.

[STORY] I am headed to the new world!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [STORY] I am headed to the new world!!

My family has its roots throughout Europe. My great grandfather, his son, and then my father all labored here. Sweat combined with blood from their soul peppered the grounds which now have been taken from us. The earth has been trodden under by the ravages of time. The massive beasts carrying supplies and troops also did their part in trouncing any vestige of memory for those beautiful years as a child I have stored in my heart.

I smell the aroma of the sea, overpowering my nostrils and exciting my heart. I am sure that the man known simply as worker, laborer,hey-boy or whatever is in great demand for this trip rumored that soon shall set sail for a new world.

“You, what ya looking for?” grumbles a salty, grizzled older man, bearded and weathered face.

I saunter up; ponder who this could be addressing me, a stranger at these ports. I mutter in inaudible answer and tip my hat to him, walking past where he sat, whittling a corn cob pipe. His eyes fallowing me slowly, I head toward a plank lashed to a rugged ship. I take a deep breath, and climb the steep wooden walkway, reaching an entrance onto the ship. Then quickly look at my last sight of my former homeland I do pray I shall ever see. Tomorrow I intend to be underway to a new land. I need a new start and from all the stories that I have heard, this land that is the English Colonies in the new world is just for me.

A deckhand motions me, the deck hand I met and got a place to stow my meager belongings aboard this ship. I gave him the agreed upon sum and headed for the berthing area, a wide open cargo hold would be liberal in compliments on its condition, but beggars needing a new home shall not be choosey. No, not I, I can put up with a hundred times worse travel accommodations for a single chance to get a fresh start in this new world.
    Last edited by Grandpa Troll; September 21, 2008, 22:48.
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

The last night in England

“You there, what your name?” questions an older man, dressed in expensive clothes, complete with a pocket watch, buckled shoes and top hat.

I had wanted to remain mingled with the luggage, new start, no ties, no names to my past. But this man was persistent, so I gave in, extending my hand toward his, “names Ralph Thomas Henry, and yours?”

“John Benjamin” as he offered some tobacco to chew. I accepted and asked was he also headed out on a new start.

He filled me in on all he had been through, the profit he had mustered being consumed by the King and he had heard of opportunities to start a fresh new business and eagerly jumped at the chance.

“How about you?” he inquisitively prodded me for information.

“I also am tired, but of other less tangible items. I look for the opportunity to start fresh as you John Benjamin, and have freedom, freedom to live my life my way.” I offered.

We continued exchanging stories and untold dreams of what might be and what would never have been staying here. Time flew by and after several hours we each had found a new acquaintance. I was glad, for a friend in the new world would be a good start.

“Lighting the lanterns and preparing to bed down” shouted a ships mate as dusk faded away and darkness overtook the hold where we were. I opened a tin I had brought with me and ate a piece of salted meat, and watched as John Benjamin did the same with his. We both had a small bedroll which we used on the top of a small pile of straw and prepared to catch some sleep before the journey to the new colonies begins at first light. The last memory of the last night in England would be a faint glow off the lantern high up on the deck, shining below in our cargo hold, barely emitting enough light to see the ladder to the deck. Slowly I faded to sleep, even as the ship listed slowly back and forth in the harbor.
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
    X