PolyCast Special on "Civ4Col" with Firaxis Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MontyLaremane

P.S. Embarrassingly enough, I felt a teensy bit of nostalgia hearing DanQ and Locutus in the same episode again. Perhaps I have listened to too much . . .
    Same here.

Locutus is a very good host and its disappointing to hear less of him in recent polycast productions.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Another enjoyable and informative PolyCast
      Originally posted by Heraclitus
      I enjoyed this a lot.

It was very interesting and well put together, I really think the trend of polycast making specials like this is a good one.
      It's very encouraging to receive feedback such as this. Writing/compiling questions, getting co-hosts together and then my editing these in addition to our regularly scheduled podcasts is an effort on many fronts (particularly my own) but we feel it has been and continues to be worthwhile. That others think so too, and communicate that to us, makes it all the more so.

I specifically like being able to hear the perspective of the Firaxians on why things were done as they were. The gameplay and art design choices were very interesting to listen to. If there were any doubts in my mind about buying the game, they have gone now...

... (even though I can't play the king and make the colonists pull, er, kiss my finger).

P.S. Embarrassingly enough, I felt a teensy bit of nostalgia hearing DanQ and Locutus in the same episode again.
      Originally posted by Heraclitus
      Same here.
      A to long-time listeners such as yourselves for that sentiment.

Perhaps I have listened to too much . . .
      -- I'm not sure that's even possible.
      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
        I'm not sure that's even possible.
        Oh, I think it is and there's an easy way to do it: Put all the polycast files in one folder, select that folder as the custom music folder under "options" and start a marathon game of Civ4 on a huge planet. That would be "too much", wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Verrucosus
          Oh, I think it is and there's an easy way to do it: Put all the polycast files in one folder, select that folder as the custom music folder under "options" and start a marathon game of Civ4 on a huge planet. That would be "too much", wouldn't it?
          No doubt.

I understand why you didn't include my "" that came with my quote...
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

As nice as it was for the Firaxians to take part in the Polycast, they did let alot of the betatesters present to explain stuff about the game...might suggest that the devs don't understand the game that well, which isn't a good thing. Hopefully they don't ride roughshod over good suggestions.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

« trade with Europe can be automatic now », what does that mean ? The guy says : « that drives the prices down though ». Does that mean your ships will pick stuff up automatically or does that mean the custom house way ?
              «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                As nice as it was for the Firaxians to take part in the Polycast, they did let alot of the betatesters present to explain stuff about the game...might suggest that the devs don't understand the game that well, which isn't a good thing. Hopefully they don't ride roughshod over good suggestions.
                That's an observation I hadn't come across before. On the "... explain[ing] stuff about the game", are you referring to us co-hosts? (Though not necessarily me specifically.)

Originally posted by Niptium
                « trade with Europe can be automatic now », what does that mean ?
                You can automate trade route(s) from your (ocean settled) colony(ies) back to your mother country just as you can between colonies.

... « that drives the prices down though ». Does that mean your ships will pick stuff up automatically or does that mean the custom house way ?
                Not being terribly familiar with the original Col myself, I can't relate to the second part of your question. That said, if you automate a trade route as described above, then yes it will be automatic.

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                  Not being terribly familiar with the original Col myself
                  Blasphème ! Au pilori et sortez le fouet ! VITE !

WHAT !

In the original Colonization you could build Custom houses in your colonies once you had Pieter Stuyvesant as a Founding Father. The Custom houses were a lot of help because once you build them, the custom houses would sell the selected ressources once in a while all by itself, without you making the voyage back to Europe - leaving your ships to do other tasks - the ressources would just disapear from your stocks and you would have the fetching price paid in Europe minus the taxes. In the end it was a necessity if you had more than, say 5 colonies cause the micromanagement to selling ressources could amount to too much. It was also the only way you could sell ressources in Europe once you had declared independance.
                  «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by Niptium
                    Blasphème ! Au pilori et sortez le fouet ! VITE !

WHAT !
                    In one, maybe even up to a few, regular episodes of the show to date I have noted how little I've played the original Col -- about an hour-and-a-half total to date. To add to that, by the time I first heard of it I had Civilization II and preferred it... and probably now as well if I had to choose (particularly post-Test of Time expansion for CivII).

In the original Colonization you could build Custom houses in your colonies once you had Pieter Stuyvesant as a Founding Father. The Custom houses were a lot of help because once you build them, the custom houses would sell the selected ressources once in a while all by itself, without you making the voyage back to Europe - leaving your ships to do other tasks - the ressources would just disapear from your stocks and you would have the fetching price paid in Europe minus the taxes. In the end it was a necessity if you had more than, say 5 colonies cause the micromanagement to selling ressources could amount to too much. It was also the only way you could sell ressources in Europe once you had declared independance.
                    Ah. I may have read something comparable to this before, but if so had certainly forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X