Founding Fathers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Founding Fathers

We know of a couple of Founding Fathers (all of them Englishmen as it stands) but we only know of Betsy Ross who gives a production bonus to textile manufacturing.

One thing that struck me today was that I got back to the original founding fathers of Col One and there is only 25 ! This one countains 52...

We also know that they now work more akin to the Great people system of Civ4 than the old ''produce bells'' system of 1994.

What do we know of the other founding fathers (I remember reading about some others but they ain't in the Col Info center) ?
    Last edited by Niptium; August 4, 2008, 19:50.
    «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Where'd you read about other FF's? I've only found reference to Betsy.

Comment

In the many previews published since the playtest pre-E3. There was some mentions of other Founding Fathers, I think two other male founding fathers extirpated apparently from the American history because I remember they were Englishmen.

Comment

Oh there you go. I couldn't find the original article i got it from but it's up there on civfanatics's C4:Colonization Info center :

Acquire founding fathers such as John Smith, Patrick Henry and Samuel Adams who
        will help guide your nation to freedom based on your gameplay style

Comment

An interesting consequence of linking the generation of founding fathers to the player's style is that it will probably be difficult now to use founding fathers to compensate weaknesses. In the original version, you could easily realise that you have neglected your defenses a bit and say "let's get stockade guy" to compensate. In the new version the founding fathers will reinforce existing strengths.

Comment

I am wondering if the reason for such an increase in the number of founding fathers is that there can only be one founding father at a time. For example in the original each nation could have a Henry Hudson, but now maby there will only be one Henery Hudson depending on who gets him first (assuming HH reappears in this version).
            Last edited by Rubblestone; August 14, 2008, 14:50.

Comment

I imagine that's the reason... and just to be more flexible and more interesting
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Here's a bunch of them at least:

http://www.invisibledream.com/images...atch/col14.jpg
                Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
                -Henrik Tikkanen

Comment

These are the Founding fathers that are known

Jan de Witt : -50% tools requred for buildings
                  Alexander Hamilton: + 3 per Town Hall (Trade FF)
                  Eli Whitney: +50% Conton In all settlements (Trade FF)
                  Lord Baltimore: Increse cross prodution by the taxe rate (Religion FF)
                  Addam Smith: 50% Fast prodution of textile mill, coat, rum and cigar factories (Trade FF)
                  Pedro Alvares Cabral: -50% Travel time to Europe (Exploration FF) (*Pt)
                  Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesal: Reveals all tiles with Burial Grounds and Ancient Ruins (Exploration FF)
                  Vasco Nunes de Balboa: + 25% Defence in all settlements (Exploration FF)
                  Juan Ponce de Leon: 2x as likely change to get Treasure from Ancient Ruins (Exploration FF)
                  Juan de Bernudez: + 1 movement for Caravel, Merchantman and Galleons (Exploration FF)
                  Gregorio de Mattos e Guerra: +2LB(Liberty bells) per church and +3LB per Cathedral (? FF) (*Pt)
                  Sor Juana: + 3 cross per church and per cathedral (Religion FF)
                  William Penn: +3 cross per town hall and strengthens relations with the natives (Religion? FF)
                  Herman Cortez: Free stockade in every settlement (de la salle's???) (? FF)
                  Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar: + 3 Ind. Servants (? FF)
                  Gabriel Lallemant: 50% Faster Production of Church and Cathedral (Religion FF)
                  John Harvard: Free Schollhouse in every settlement (hum... not bad) (? FF)
                  Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve: Free promotion (Formation), Gunpowder units and +1 movement for converted natives
                  Juan de Sepulveda : Provides 2 converted natives
                  Giovanni da Verrazano : Provides a caravel

Revised from Zenon's post on civfanatics board.

Comment

Hello all

I've been able to make a list of 34 founding fathers here. This is basically from previews, screenshots etc.

Some of them may have been removed in the development phase, I don't know, but all those on the list have either been mentioned in a preview or depicted on a screenshot.

Niptium: Why are none of the three founding fathers that Firaxis mentions on their Colonization page on your list? John Smith, Patrick Henry and Samuel Adams - those were the first founding fathers heard of...

Comment

I just compiled a list from the screenshots and the ones we know their effect for sure.

I notice that at the bottom of the page, there is only 7 Amerindian nations mentionned while I remember vividly that in the last Polycast, the Firaxians mentionned 8 nations without specifying. But yeah, you can type that down, there is 8 Amerindian nations all in all.

Comment

I fixed the amerindian nations thing..

These are the founding fathers (without any known effect):

Alexander von Humboldt
                        Jacques Marquette
                        John Smith
                        Lewis and Clark
                        Marquis de la Fayette
                        Patrick Henry
                        Roger Williams

And here, those with known effects:

Adam Smith | 50% faster production of Textile Mill, Coats/Rum/Cigar Factories.
                        Alexander Hamilton | +3 hammers per Town Hall.
                        Bortolome de la Casas (R) +50% conversion rate from missions.
                        Betsy Ross | Increases textile production.
                        Cyrus McCormick | Increases food and sugar production.
                        Diego Velasquez de Cuellar | Provides 3 Indentured Servants
                        Eli Whitney | +50% cotton production in all settlements.
                        Gabrielle Lellemant | 50% faster production of Church, Cathedral
                        Giovanni da Verrazzano | Provides 1 Caravel.
                        Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada | Reveals all tiles with burial grounds and ancient ruins.
                        Gregorio de Mattos e Guerra | +2 gold per Church, +3 gold per Cathedral.
                        Hernan Cortez | Free Stockade in every settlement.
                        Jan de Witt | -50% tools required for buildings.
                        John Harvard | Free Schoolhouse in every Settlement.
                        Juan de Bermudez | +1 movement for Caravel, Merchantman, and Galleon.
                        Juan de Sepulveda | Provides 2 converted natives.
                        Juan Ponce de Leon | 2 times as likely to get treasure from ancient treasure.
                        Lord Baltimore | Increases cross production by the tax rate.
                        Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve | Free promotion for gunpowder units. +1 mov for converts.
                        Pedro Alvarez Cabral | 50% less travel time to Europe.
                        Sor Juana | +3 crosses per Church and Cathedral.
                        Vasco Nunez de Balboa | +25% defense in all settlements.
                        William Penn | +3 crosses for every Town Hall. Strengthens relations with natives.
                        Benjamin Franklin (P) +3 liberty bells with certain buildings
                        Francisco Pizarro (M) Free promotion
                        Hernando de Soto (M) Free promotion
                        John Rolfe (T) +25% tobacco production in all settlements
                        John Winthrop (P) Increases cross production
                        Peter Minuit (T) -25% cost of recruiting units in Europe.
                        Samuel Adams (P) Increases liberty bells production by the tax rate.
                        William Brewster(R) -25% cost of native land purchasing.
                        Thomas Hooker (R) Provides 3 Jesuit Missionaries.
                        Pocahontas (P) Strengthens relations with the natives.

Interestingly, la Casas, Pocahontas and Brewster were also found in the original version, but since Cortez has changed his effect totally (from treasure yield and transport, to stockade in all settlements) there's no knowing what effects they have in this new version.

Btw.. didn't they mention Lewis and Clark in the polycast..? Did they say something about their effect or just talk about how hard they are to get (you have to "save up points and so on") .. I can't remember anymore

I'll have to listen to it again I think
                        Last edited by Apocalypto; August 23, 2008, 01:37.

Comment

Thanks for the list and welcome to Apolyton
                          Apocalypto.
                          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Yes they talked about Lewis and Clark but their effect is unknown. They referred to it as the most costly founding fathers of the exploration category though...

Comment

I'd guess that they do something like give you a full map of the new world, or something...
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X