X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World-building

I want to like this game.

I really do.

But seriously, what the hell happened? The game completely lacks any sort of personality or charm, you don't even see your faction's leader when you're choosing who to play.
    Tech quotes said by the quotee? Nope.
    Wonder videos? Nope! Wonders also feel like a non-entity in a huge way. Who cares about +3 food?
    End-game videos? No way. There's not even a scoreboard when you win. If you lose you don't know why!!

The way trade works is absurd. Why try to get good tile yield when a couple of trade routes give you so much free stuff? And that's just on internal routes, don't get me started on external ones.

I won't even talk about the attack animations, Diplomacy (HA!), or inmersion in general.

I'm not saying I regret buying the game, but come on. Firaxis knows better. Much,
    much
    better. I really don't know what the hell happened. As a long-time fan I cannot understand how they thought this was a finished product by any means
    "Too much ambition is a sin...only if you fail"
    Yoritomo Kumiko

I don't believe I've ever bought a PC game right after release in my entire life. Simply because I never have a top-end PC, and I don't game much anymore. But isn't it almost a cliche to say "this just-released game feels unfinished and sloppy"? Certainly everybody said it about Civ4, and Civ5, and I think even Civ3. XCOM was apparently pretty good, I just heard people say they wished there were more combat maps, n'stuff.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Look up Kingdoms of Amalur. Skyrim. Portal 1&2. Endless Space. Yes, they had patches and stuff, but compared to this the polish was undeniable.

And yes, XCom was a much more finished product from day one, specially if you take CBE in account.
      "Too much ambition is a sin...only if you fail"
      Yoritomo Kumiko

Comment

The thing that disappoints me is that they clearly didn't need to spend a lot of time building a new engine or anything. So why couldn't the time have gone to giving the game some personality?

I really wanted this game to be SMAC and instead it's CivRev.
        Last edited by Koyaanisqatsi; October 26, 2014, 18:52.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Most of the Wonders need a big boost. Trade Routes need nerfing. Those things should be easy at least.

I'm having a fun time of it even with the warts. I think it could be one of the best games of all time with some tweaks and then a better (even Civ III good) AI.

Comment

Yeah I more or less bought this game on potential. But I didn't expect the AI to be THIS bad.
            They need some balance and AI hotfixes. As it is the game is just boring as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
              The thing that disappoints me is that they clearly didn't need to spend a lot of time building a new engine or anything. So why couldn't the time have gone to giving the game some personality?

I really wanted this game to be SMAC and instead it's CivRev.
              SMAC was based on the core concepts of the classic Civ2, but built to be its own game from the ground up. BE is a straight-up mod of Civ5, which was a head-scratcher when it came out but, after two expansions, is now apparently in solid "parts still suck, but at least it's fun now" territory. From what I'm hearing, BE is flawed, but not broken, which is about the best I think you could expect under those circumstances. I probably won't have a PC good enough to play it until Civ 6 is out, but it's good to hear that Firaxis isn't in a total nosedive.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Icewind View Post
                Look up Kingdoms of Amalur. Skyrim. Portal 1&2. Endless Space. Yes, they had patches and stuff, but compared to this the polish was undeniable.

And yes, XCom was a much more finished product from day one, specially if you take CBE in account.
                Skyrim? Polish? You must joking. The game had more bugs than a termite nest.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Skyrim? Polish? You must joking. The game had more bugs than a termite nest.
                  It was fun and it worked. And it had a good story.
                  Beyond Earth is lifeless and boring. Its the same
                  thing as BNW. It just sits back and watches me play.
                  I spent one game nearly 400 turns without one DOW.
                  ZZZZZZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Icewind View Post
                    Look up Kingdoms of Amalur. Skyrim. Portal 1&2. Endless Space.
                    KoA was slickly-produced hot garbage. Great soundtrack and good graphics, but utterly devoid of anything interesting. The most derivative and generic plot possible, button-mashing combat that quickly became tedious, uninspired locales and somehow they made "elves" even MORE annoying than usual.

Skyrim is great in many ways, but was hardly a polished gem on release (and still is quite buggy in many cases). Many fans of the ES series see it as a step backwards in terms of story.

Endless Space felt more like a spreadsheet than a game, honestly. It certainly didn't have the production values you bemoan are missing from BE. Factions all feel the same, tech tree is rather dull, certainly no cut scenes...
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I actually prefer old school graphics and the whole point of a 4x game is that you create the story line. I find the quests a distraction...an attempt to lure button mashers into a tbs. All good 4x games are unbalanced. The whole fun is finding the unbalanced aspects. Beeline gambits, overleveraging, etc. Figuring out ICS, chariot swarms, etc. is a big part of the fun. In a perfectly balanced game, there would be no OCC. Notice that graphics, story line, etc. have nothing to do with any of that.

This game is not perfect. The UI needs some polishing (the way right clicks and left clicks get interchanged is annoying...right click to move/attack except for cities, etc. But this game has some good potential.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                      Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

You can attack cities with right click?
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                        X