Game Setup Choice #4: Planet Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Setup Choice #4: Planet Type

This poll will be open for 4 days, and the plurality choice will be selected at game start.
    Terran World: A world with a few large landmasses separated by oceans and some smaller islands
    60.00%
    Protean World: One ocean and one large, continuous landmass with some small, coastal islands
    6.67%
    Atlantean World: A world of islands of varying sizes separated by narrow water passages
    13.33%
    Random (OK but seriously why would you pick this)
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Having played, Atlantean worlds are far better than in previous Civilization games. The islands are of a decent size and good spread, you usually even get a continent forming somewhere on the map.
    As of the latest patch, previous versions of humanity are no longer supported.

Comment

This choice will have an impact on the ship upgrade. Continental Surveyor on an Atlantean world sounds VERY useful. Further, an Atlantean world makes retrograde thrusters less useful. Wherever we land, we will most likely be near a coast. The more I think about it, if we choose Atlantean, we had better choose Tectonic Scanner as I am under the impression finding Petroleum, Geothermal, and Titanium resources is very important to your colony. On little islands, knowing where these things are immediately could be huge.
      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I've started my second playthrough. Atlantean maps are my favourite type of map so far. Terran turns into a land grab where nobody wins. Just had the most ridiculous stuff occur. Where me, Africa, and ARC all rushed to get a colony next to a 10 Xenomass spot, I destroyed Resalin just to get it, but this is not the sort of scenario we want to be in. Island are much more controllable and give much more defined territory.

Comment

Why don't we want to be in a war scenario? I would actually think that war would be a very good strategy to use as there is no way the AI can match us except through bonuses granted by difficulty setting. Speaking of which, where is the difficulty setting poll?
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Roleplay reasons mostly, that and I think we're playing on a decent difficulty level, might go make a poll for that.

Comment

Sea maps make me wary. I'm concerned about the fact that in my game it's turn 170 and I still can't deal with Krakens except by taking potshots at them from coastal tiles.

Comment

Maxed purity combat rovers one shot krakens. Shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

It takes a long time to max purity.

Comment

True. Krakens and siege worms seem to be docile though. Sea dragons are dicks.

Comment

Sea maps would absolutely wreck having on trade routes; very hard to clear the way of all the krakens and sea dragons.

I wonder if sea maps are the natural play balance counter to the OPness of trade routes, actually.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'm pretty sure once you build a fence, the quest option to protect convoys protects sea trade too.

Comment

Never got that quest, probably because I never built a fence. My military was more than enough to keep the bugs away.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

It does. Honestly. They should remove that feature. Make it a choice between +1 radius and improved paddocks on that city or something. The aliens get rendered a non-entity by the trade immunity.

Comment

I agree. Maybe even the Fence itself should be changed to only give protection from Green Aliens (Orange or Red would still "invade"). Though getting Aliens to Orange or Red seems extremely hard.

Purity 1 Explorer's immunity to Aliens is also cheesey.

Aliens should be a threat for the good of the game

Comment

Working...
                              X