Just another SMAC clone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another SMAC clone?

I'm excited about this new CIV game and from what I've seen it looks like a SMAC clone.
    Am I wrong to assume this?

How many SMAC clones are you aware of?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

It's more of a Civ 5 expansion than SMAC clone. While SMAC was given a lot of "spiritual successor" talk, there's not much in the game that closely resembles what was in SMAC. There's no Unit Workshop. No Terraforming. No Social Engineering. The faction bonuses are mild (+/- a few percent here or there) rather than SMAC's extreme variation. Instead the differentiation happens through the Affinity system in CivBE. So any of the initial factions can "differentiate" into close resemblance to any of the other factions that chose that Affinity.

The similarities are that it's played out on another planet (but not the same Planet), there is a Transcendence victory where you mind meld with the planet (in a different manner), and ... that's about it. The rest of it is Civ 5 in space. With a tech web instead of tech tree. (Which still isn't anywhere near as webby as SMACs tech "tree")

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
        It's more of a Civ 5 expansion than SMAC clone. While SMAC was given a lot of "spiritual successor" talk, there's not much in the game that closely resembles what was in SMAC. There's no Unit Workshop. No Terraforming. No Social Engineering. The faction bonuses are mild (+/- a few percent here or there) rather than SMAC's extreme variation. Instead the differentiation happens through the Affinity system in CivBE. So any of the initial factions can "differentiate" into close resemblance to any of the other factions that chose that Affinity.

The similarities are that it's played out on another planet (but not the same Planet), there is a Transcendence victory where you mind meld with the planet (in a different manner), and ... that's about it. The rest of it is Civ 5 in space. With a tech web instead of tech tree. (Which still isn't anywhere near as webby as SMACs tech "tree")

TY for the info and quick reply
        Sorry, I forgot to mention in my original post that I was hoping that it would be another SMAC type game. Lack of terraform ability does seem to be a bit disappointing to me. Guess just have to wait to see when it comes out if I'll be getting it.
        Last edited by Docfeelgood; August 29, 2014, 07:28.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
          How many SMAC clones are you aware of?

None I'm aware of. I'm interested if you know of any?
          Last edited by Docfeelgood; August 29, 2014, 07:30.

Comment

What Aeson said. This is not a SMAC clone.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
              TY

Comment

The other that claims it is Pandora: First Contact ... I haven't played it ... haven't heard much good about it from SMAC players though.

Comment

I wish it was lol.
                  The other that claims it is Pandora: First Contact ... I haven't played it ... haven't heard much good about it from SMAC players though.
                  I've played it. Its just ....bland really. Just didn't grab me.

Comment

At first I thought it was going to basically be a bland Civ5 mod. After checking out some more recent information on the wiki (thanks Aeson!) I am modestly more optimistic that they understand the narrative meat that made SMAC great.

I'm still disappointed it doesn't look like they'll have elevation or sea colonies though.

Comment

No terraforming? I thought Purity players were supposed to terraform everything they could get their hands on...
                      I don't know what I've been told!
                      Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                      Love to press the Buster Switch!
                      Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

There is a tile improvement to give them earth-like fauna. But that looks to be about the extent of it.

Comment

There is a tile improvement to give them earth-like fauna. But that looks to be about the extent of it.
                          Gah Thats lame. but in honestly the terraforming from AC would be a major pain in the rump to put in the game.

Comment

Working...
                          X