Faction and Leader Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faction and Leader Info

Suzanne Fielding was the eldest of three siblings, all daughters, born on the Texas Gulf Coast to a Mexican-born mother and an African-American father. Her father was the owner of three hardware stores in the region; Suzanne joined her father in running the business as a teenager. Accepting a scholarship to Louisiana State University, she graduated with honors and a double-major in economics and accounting. Driven by a desire to help reclaim coastal lands lost to the rising sea level in her home states, she was hired by the relatively new American Reclamation Corporation (ARC) to an entry-level position.

Lots more, including some of the faction icons.

Nice stuff. I'm wondering if they'll go into much depth on why particular factions/leaders decide to leave.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Since 1991, the award-winning Civilization series of turn-based strategy games has challenged players to build an empire to stand the test of time.

"Fielding Aims toward the Skies as ARC Skyrockets"

Interview with "The Journal", August 23, 2216

One would think that there are no new worlds for the CEO / CFO of American Reclamation Corporation (NASDAQ: ARCZ) to conquer, but Suzanne Marjorie Fielding would tell you otherwise. I was recently granted a brief interview with arguably one of the most powerful people in the world after the latest earnings call. Everything was fair game – including "Operation Riverboat," the Seeding venture and what everyone is talking about these days: deep space travel. This is our conversation in its entirety.

The Journal: Today’s message to the shareholders was long on ARC’s current practices here on Earth and broadly talked about a vision for the future beyond Earth. How do you see things going based on your time with ARC so far?

Fielding: When I started at American Reclamation Corporation, it was to help reclaim coastal lands as part of the ARC’s Trans-Mississippi Recovery Initiative. My family was a big factor in that. I grew up on the Texas side of the Gulf coast. My father was a small business owner – he owned three hardware stores - and he taught me that diligence, hard work and attention to detail are what matter most. ARC has always stood for those values, as we have pulled ourselves past the Great Mistake. Knowing that ARC creates real solutions to global problems has been a major motivating force in my time here.

And now?

I’ve come a long way from that idealistic intern fresh out of LSU. Not only does ARC have the technical knowhow, production and infrastructure to work on the biggest global issues challenging everyone, we are now more financially sound than ever before. Ask any CIO that I’ve talked to today – go on, there’s about 190 of them to choose from – all agree that our direction is clear. We are leveraging our capital reserves to participate in Seeding ventures. And while we still hold a firm belief for everything ARC can accomplish here on Earth, we also have our eye on the stars.

A different take on mostly the same information. Builds a little personality, but so far it seems rather lacking. Maybe it's a bit too realistic?

Comment

Hmm...

I like Fielding and Barre, but Thakur rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I don't particularly like Sochua, but I should be able to work with the University.
        I don't know what I've been told!
        Deirdre's got a Network Node!
        Love to press the Buster Switch!
        Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

So the Germans are all gone and theres no Northern European faction?
          And the US faction is led by a female version of Obama.
          Oh look its the perfect politically correct video game.

Comment

ARC is a corporate faction, rather than the US faction. Check out her bio on the wiki:

Also the interview with "her" on civilization.com is telling. So not really like Obama. More like Romney.

As for Germany and Northern Europe, right now it seems a likely candidate for a later faction (DLC or expansion). Though I suppose it could be included in Franco-Iberia ... can't be sure without hearing what the history is between now and 200 years in the future.

Comment

Germany is the Big Mistake
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

As for Germany and Northern Europe, right now it seems a likely candidate for a later faction (DLC or expansion). Though I suppose it could be included in Franco-Iberia ... can't be sure without hearing what the history is between now and 200 years in the future.
                This one is already shaping up to be a little too PC for my tastes. Well I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
                But I'm curious if they know that 50% of the white population in the USA (their main market) is descended
                from Germans. It might not be a good idea to troll them you know.

Comment

/me shrugs. I'm a white American with German ancestry and I have no problem with the apparent exclusion of some parts of Europe. If anything, it's intriguing. It makes me wonder what the future history is that would produce such a scenario. But imagining that things will stay basically the way they are now 200 years in the future seems like a failure of imagination.

Think about all the SF writers active during the Cold War who, even into the 80s, completely failed to predict the collapse of the Soviet Union. It was basically taken for granted that something as world-stridingly powerful as the USSR wouldn't just collapse over night. But it did! In retrospect we can point to a myriad of reasons why it happened, and we can tell ourselves it was inevitable, but that doesn't change what people thought at the time.

So when I look at an imagined future history where Europe isn't as dominant as it is right now, I just shrug. There are many possible futures, and that one doesn't strike me as any less plausible than the others.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Also, there may be more factions (I can't believe there are only 4). And also, maybe "The Great Mistake" is centered on the Large Hadron Collider (or something), taking Europe along with it?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

There are 8 factions known so far, but only 4 we have details about.

The latest is here.

Comment

Yah, it would be rather boring if everything was the same as it is now.

I think they have to reserve at least a couple factions for a possible expansion/DLC. Northern Europe would be a good possibility. Even Great Britain seems to be absent so far. Most of Central and South America isn't represented either unless Brazilia is more expansive than the name would suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                          There are 8 factions known so far, but only 4 we have details about.

The latest is here.
                          General Kozlov? Oh my goodness. Should've made him a Serb.
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Working...
                          X