X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affinities Explained

A new Q&A is up on the 2K site.

Most interesting tidbit:

How does Affinity unit progression work?

In Civilization V, units would gain experience through combat and eventually get a promotion. You could make your military more powerful by upgrading certain techs and advancing units like Warriors to Spearman. In Beyond Earth, upgrades are tied directly to your devotion to the Affinities in the game.

As you progress down an Affinity, you gain unique upgrades you can’t get under the other affinity lines. Selecting an upgrade applies it to all units of that type. For example, any and all Marines deployed on the planet will receive the new upgrade as soon as you choose it. Upgrades can’t be revisited, so players have to think hard about what they’re willing to give up.

These upgrades help distinguish two factions who share the same Affinity. Two Supremacy Marines facing off will not be on equal footing. Based on the chosen upgrades, one faction’s Marines may have a lot more firepower than the other.

Also, there will apparently be hybrid affinities. You can get perks from multiple affinities.

I still don't like that they only appear to be talking about military units when it comes to how affinities play differently. I suppose the other differences come in your choices in the tech web, but we've heard very little specific information about the tech web.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

they might not have gotten that far yet? or Firaxis might think that the military units would be more interesting to the player base at large?
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

The military part would tend to have a broader appeal...
      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Yeah, I know. But I'm an unrepentant builder. Kind of. I just slaughtered all the inhabitants of my continent, but that's just so I can spend the next few thousand years building in peace.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I know exactly where you're coming from.

What game?
          AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
          JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

I'm still on a Civ4 BTS kick.

Comment

Yah, I'd like to hear about some specific techs. We don't have to know where they are in the web (that's probably still being worked on a lot for balancing), but to have some names of techs and general info about what they enable would be cool.

Comment

I can't imagine they wouldn't have unique building for each affinity (or civ). But yea, I imagine they think units are more interesting, or perhaps aren't ready to share info on buildings yet.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                  I can't imagine they wouldn't have unique building for each affinity (or civ). But yea, I imagine they think units are more interesting, or perhaps aren't ready to share info on buildings yet.
                  Do hope they fess up soon the wait is killing me

Comment

So as of yesterday's spate of previews, unique buildings for civs will not be making an appearance. What it looks like is that, because you will only research some of the tech web, your building choices will be different depending on the affinity you pursue.

Comment

seems legit. I'm still hoping for buildings based on affinity.

Comment

That's a much better system and harks back to the sort of customization you could do in SMAC.

Comment

well, it makes more sense from a sci-fi perspective, rather than warriors, spearmen, swordsmen, &c being separate units.

Comment

Working...
                          X