Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diplomacy

I hardly hear anything about diplomacy.
    Before cIIIv was created this was a major issue among the fans.
    I think cIIIv came with a very good diplomacy model, it should be improved though.

- be able to discuss the number of turns an agreement lasts
    - better alliance model in which you can free the cities of your allies and give them back to them. (or they automaticly become theirs again)
    - good indicator of attitude between civs, this shouldn't change too easily. If 2 civs have long good relations, that should pay off.
    - implement long-term diplomacy, in which you discuss several matters over several turns, in which you try to get your oponent slowly on your site
    - global-diplomacy with multiple civs at the same time.

pherhaps more to come...
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Agree with all of them.

I would also like to add trading of military units.

There should be closer military collaboration among allies, perhaps also the SMAC method of suggesting targets for your allies, and also perhaps being able to walk into your allies' cities for defending or combined stacks...

The use of allied cities would be very usefull also to heal your units.

One more thing: eliminate RoP rapes. This is not too hard to do, the moment you declare war against a civ you have a RoP with, all your units in their territory automatically move out.
    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Good things I can agree with!

Another idea: make joint armies (not the cIIIv armies) that can be controlled by one party. ie. my best friend is in war, I don't want to join that war, but I want to give him 50 tanks to use in this war. After the war is over I want them back. He'll be in total control over the tanks.

Comment

Will you be paying maintenance on them tanks?
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Loaning units is a good way of give technologically backward nations a helping hand in a war without giveing them the technology or means of production.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            Will you be paying maintenance on them tanks?
            I think not.
            I should say, compare it to the peace keeping forces from the UN all over the world right now.

I don't think the americans or the iraqi's are paying maintanance over the dutch troops in Iraq right now. (ok, that's not UN)

Comment

It's a totally different scenario.

The Dutch is present in Iraq. It's not like the US is present in Iraq in Dutch tanks.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That's true.....
                But in fact the solution is simple,
                the owner of the tanks pays maintanance but the loaner must get an agreement with the owner to rent it for a specific times.

That can be an agreement that involves money.

Comment

And what happens if all the tanks are destroyed? What happens if he disbands the tanks or sends them on suicide missions? I don't think renting units is pratical.

However, why not just have it so you can either give someone a unit, or give them the means to build X numbers of a particular unit (or even building). Then they can build a certain number of said unit or building, until they use up the help you gave them. I think that would handle things in a more elegant manner. There are too many potential difficulties with unit loans, I think.

-Drachasor
                  "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Yeah, unit lending is a tricky issue.

Perhaps you could charge something for each lent unit that was lost - but then you're getting into some really complicated diplomatic situations. And because they're so complicated, I think the liklihood of being in Civ IV is rather low.

Unit trading should be in.

Having allied units in the same city should be in.

Giving liberated cities back within alliances should definitely be in (adds much more realism, IMO).

Suggesting target nations (and cities) should be in.

Suggesting tech research goals should be in (come on now, you ought to be able to coordinate techs with your AI partners!).

And more...

Comment

There's only one thing I want out of dimplomacy. An AI that acts more or less rationally, as if it where leading a country rather than playing a game of chess.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

civ4 needs to implement long term, short term, and era term goals for the ai so it acts rationally.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Wait...if a civ is wiped out, if all it's cities are captured...if you liberated all it's cities, could you possibly decide to revive it, as in France post-WWII?
                          Now just don't go forming any angry mobs now, you hear?

Comment

I don't think that is a good idea. If a civilization is dead, it's dead. No reviving. What they are talking about is, just giving back a few cities to your allies, not making a whole new civilization again.

Comment

I think that is a good idea to revive conqured nations. It will amke it more realistic if there is like a world war and a nation is conqured but saved by its allies.

Comment

Working...
                              X