Sophie can read!?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sophie can read!?!?!?!

Well, just one word, but dammit - she recognizes it and says it whenever she sees it.

Baby

Which is not surprising - the concept of "baby" and "babyness" is very important to a toddler. What is surprising is that while her mother (mostly) and I (occasionally) read to her every day, we haven't really bothered with developing her reading skills - hell, the kid is finally beginning to form some intelligible sentences out of all that babble.

But whenever she see's the word "baby" she points and says "Baby." Oh, I know: she isn't so much "reading" it as "recognizing" it, but that's close enough for me.

21 months old. I am so proud.

Did I tell you that she walks the dogs as well? She prefers to walk the Basset, but sometimes she wants the Scotty. She'll grab on to the leash and follow me, and if the dog doesn't go where Sophie wants the dog to go, she'll tug as hard as she can on the leash until the dog gets tired of it and starts going where Sophie wants her to go. It's really, really freakin' precious - and I mean seriously precious.
    Damn Straight!
    26.67%
    Hell yeah!
    24.44%
    You better friggin' believe it!
    24.44%
    Amazing? Stupendous is more like it!
    24.44%

Ya' know, she just gets cuter...

Though, you really need to take advantage of this and start her on some simple books. When she's a little older, use something like a swinging pendulum to help train her young eyes to track better. When I was little I was having trouble reading, but my teacher at the time told my mom this trick and my reading improved a bit. Also, I attribute this trick to my modest speed-reading. Give it a try.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Looks like it's time to break out the rubbery ducky picture.

The whole toddler stage is great - they're learning new stuff every day, and enjoy their new abilities immensely.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

She acts like she's reading all the time... she'll take one of her books (or a magazine, or whatever), open it, and look at it. Once she even opened a magazine upside down, squinted at it, and then turned it right-side up. Of course, I'm sure the pictures helped orient her, but still...

I also, when I read to her, track the words with my finger. We also always ask her about things on the page - "Sophie, where's the cow? Sophie, point to the purple ball... now point to the blue one", that sort of thing.

She must have about 100 books, and she definitely prefers books about farms and farm animals.

Rubber ducky picture?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
          Rubber ducky picture?
          LETC! has it, I don't have a copy yet.

Since this is going to be a cuteness thread anyway.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

The rubber duck picture.
            Attached Files
            Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

Todays bath
              Attached Files

Comment

We have the same duck!

Awwwwwwww. :sniff:

Comment

Once she even opened a magazine upside down, squinted at it, and then turned it right-side up.

Ha!
                  I preffered to read them upside down.
                  "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Sophie doesn't have her own tub... better not give her any ideas!

But she sure loves her baths...

Comment

It isn't like they're MASS produced.
                      There are a several thousands floating around in the atlantic.

Comment

Ahh the toy bin.
                        I had been looking around for baths since he doesn't like showers. They had inflatable ones that you fit in baths but he didn't like the squishy feeling. He was too big for baby baths, I even got him one of those red tubs like the ones I used to bathe the dogs (well i wasn't going to use the dog one) but he didn't like it.
                        What hes bathing in, is an actual toy bin.

Comment

But whenever she see's the word "baby" she points and says "Baby." Oh, I know: she isn't so much "reading" it as "recognizing" it, but that's close enough for me.

21 months old. I am so proud.
                          That's soo indescribably cute.
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                            She acts like she's reading all the time... she'll take one of her books (or a magazine, or whatever), open it, and look at it. Once she even opened a magazine upside down, squinted at it, and then turned it right-side up. Of course, I'm sure the pictures helped orient her, but still...

I also, when I read to her, track the words with my finger. We also always ask her about things on the page - "Sophie, where's the cow? Sophie, point to the purple ball... now point to the blue one", that sort of thing.

She must have about 100 books, and she definitely prefers books about farms and farm animals.

Rubber ducky picture?

Hey, my own Sophie (Sofia actually, 23 m.o.) also loves farm books and farm animals! She has even learned to make the sounds of some of them! Toddlers are fun, aren't they?

Comment

is there usually a picture of the baby next to the word? :smartass:

Seriously, that's fantastic JohnT! Keep up the good parenting

See if you can get her to know the state capitals and how to spell them by 2 and a half. That's where I was at, and I turned out ok

"Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                              You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                              X