No announcement yet.

Ctp2 Source Code To Be Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm stunned that Activision released the code. I'm not a believer in the benevolence of corporate America. But I'm totally stoked that after almost 4 years we might finally get the game we've all waited to play (thanks to our wonderful mod community)!

If there is to be a group formed to help rework the code, count me in! I don't know programming, but if you need someone to *****, whine, and get you coffee then count me in!
    The wall of the Achaians

Comment

Oops, I guess that one didn't get by the goalie!

I meant to say b1tch, just so nobody gets offended at what I meant to say.

The wall of the Achaians

Comment

That's better.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

(wheres the 'jaw drops on floor' smilie?).
          Frankly I'm amazed, i really gave us about a 5% chance of getting this, especially in todays rather corporate and synical industry.
          Whomever made the decision at Activision i take my hat of to you
          And well done to all the people involved with getting this result

He he, i just hope all the modding folk are upto the challange that now awaits them
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

*polishing c++ knowledge*

st_swithin if you have the time, could you write some basic documentation about the code? Would be quite helpful I guess.
            Of course only if you are allowed to do so.

ata

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
              I will say that even without the source code, 'Modded CTP2' is a vastly underrated game.
              In my opinion, CTP2 was not underrated, it was simply missing a PBEM option.

Maybe there is still hope ?
              veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

cool

i'm studying compsci @ uni now, and i've always wanted to make my own civ game. hopefully, this source code will help me in understanding the mechanics of game coding. what i'm doing now i class projects seems a far cry away.

question: if the code is released, will the images become public domain as well, or will we have to find alternates?
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
                  question: if the code is released, will the images become public domain as well, or will we have to find alternates?
                  I guess that depends on them, but I doubt that they'll do it.

Comment

Re: Ctp2 Source Code To Be Released

Originally posted by st_swithin
                    ATVI EP confirms that source code for Call To Power II will be available as open source.

No dates yet, but this is STRAIGHT from the horse's mouth (and the lead programmer, the network programmer, the gamestate programmer).

LET US REJOICE!! OPEN SOURCE FOR ALL!!!
                    That´s truely great news

It´s already a great game and if we succeed to introduce some concepts from Civ 3 (like strategic Ressources and the like) it will be a game I´d spend more time than I have with Civ 3
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Were quick enough to slag these companies off when they mess us about, so credit where credits due!

nice one Activision
                      Last edited by reds4ever; July 27, 2003, 17:27.

Comment

i'm studying compsci @ uni now, and i've always wanted to make my own civ game. hopefully, this source code will help me in understanding the mechanics of game coding. what i'm doing now i class projects seems a far cry away.
                        It should give you a whole new understanding of "large programming projects".
                        I don't know how ATVI is planning on doing it, but most other game companies when releasing the source code do not release the art/sound/design assets. So that you still have to own the game to use the source code.

Pyaray

Comment

cool

Check out www.c-evo.org you can make your own AI modules to plug into the game and play against other programmers modules

Comment

Carlos:

I'll be the one to admit I made a mod to put the Civ3 worker system into CTP2. Though if you read the readme.txt with it, you'll see my disgust with it show through.

Comment

I see big things on the horizon

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                                Carlos:

I'll be the one to admit I made a mod to put the Civ3 worker system into CTP2. Though if you read the readme.txt with it, you'll see my disgust with it show through.
                                Of course
                                Long live CtP2 and public works!
                                actually... I DO like public works...
                                The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Working...
                                X