Jean Chretien Quote Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jean Chretien Quote Database

The inept coward does make for some interestingly mangled English and 3 year-old mentality lies. Let's all share in the glory we know of a man who both vocally and linguisticly knows not how to speak!

I'll start off with one of my favorites. Does he actually try to look this failingly assertive when having no plan of keeping a promise?:

"Read my lips - NO MORE GST!"
    -1990 (Oh, by the way...)

"A proof is proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof and when you have a good proof it's because it's proven."

- Jean Chretien, Sept 5, 2002
    Last edited by Asher; March 2, 2003, 02:36.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"It's a myth that I'm a spender."

When holding a press conference on Free Trade with U.S. president Bill Clinton, Canadian prime minister Jean Chretien was asked what he thought about all the drugs that were entering Canada from the U.S. He responded: "Well, it's more trade."
      After a tense moment of silence and some muffled laughter Clinton leaned over and whispered something in Chretien's ear. Chretien immediately blurted "Oh drugs! I thought you said trucks!"

"Why buy repeater carbines and nuclear armament -- if this is kept at home a child can play with it".

When a reporter asked Mr. Chrétien about the RCMP's use of pepper spray on the peaceful protest, he said, "Pepper? I put that on my plate."

"This is why I have to show the hon. Leader of the Opposition that it was only one project of $440 million that went belly-up. I do not say they made a mistake. I just say that it is not a success. "
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

He also replied "they are lucky the police did not use baseball bats" in response to the APEC protest.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

BTW, the first one Asher quoted is my favourite quote of all time and space.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"Obviously, I would have been happier if Canada had not been conquered in the past by the English, if this part of North America had remained French, but you can't rewrite history."

"French-Canadians are 'martyrs' and have been 'humiliated' by the English."

-- Jean Chretien, in the Paris newspaper "Le Monde"'s interview on December 1, 1994

Comment

I don't see any problems with the first part of that quote.

Just like I wouldn't see any problem with a Scottish person making the same assertion about English colonialism on their land.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

And the second part was quite true for a very long time.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

He went on in the article to discuss how the French run the country.

He's such a great national leader...

Comment

The French do run the country. But JC doesn't run the country for the French. Big difference.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Not really, he runs it for the French and for the people who live nextdoor to the French.

Comment

He runs it for people who are willing to vote for him if he sends gravy their way. Just like every other elected politician.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

He can have my gravy, provided he fits under the desk.

Comment

actually that is the big problem with democracy

instead of politicans working for the people, they work for the rich and corporations who pay them

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              actually that is the big problem with democracy

instead of politicans working for the people, they work for the rich and corporations who pay them

Jon Miller
                              That's not the problem we're talking about.

Chretien works for the minority of provinces who contribute the majority of the vote. Technically it's still democracy, but the other provinces suddenly become expendable votewise.

But enough! No debates in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X