Single Issue Voter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Issue Voter?

My aunt votes for ppl based only on their stance on one issue (generally abortion). I find this rather ignorant. However, I don't ussually consider certain issues when I vote, but I take into account more than one issue.

What do you think?

Are there issues that you feel are SO important that you would ignore all other issues when determening who gets your vote?

If so what issue? What issue(s) are the most important to you?
    Monkey!!!

Baby consumption. I will not vote for somebody who is in favor of consuming human babies, no matter what his/her stance on other issues may be.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

But they're delicious!

Comment

and make fine soft gloves
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I'd say it's difficult to hold a logically consistent position while at the same time adopting a single issue that's outside the realm of that position. I, as a complex-system-of-analysis voter, would inevitably end up voting for someone with roughly a similar position to my own if I found someone sharing my analysis of a single issue. Not being a centrist in any way probably helps, there's nothing that could compel me to switch blocks short of bloody revolution.

Of course, there are single issues that make me totally stand against parties. I'd never vote for the Social Democrats in Sweden because they supported the Transporter Liability clause in the Schengen agreement, for instance.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

The Invasion of mars:

I will only vote for candidates that support new budget measures to make sure that the 10 trillion dollars such an invasion would cost (we need at least 100,000 men in the first wave), probalby actually 3 times that with cost overruns, will be available by 2015.

In reality:

No single issue is important enough for any single candidate in my view. At the same time, certain views are usually derived from a certain ideological world-view that also leads to other views. So I generally would only support liberal or left-center candidates.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Better to vote because of a single issue than to not vote at all...
              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Anyone who'll repeal your Sony Bono Copyright Extension Act, DMCA, Patriot Act is worth voting for. I am guessing that such candidates would come from the Libertarians and the Greens, but I am not intimately familiar with Yank politics.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I will not vote for anyone who is bald or has a beard.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I don't understand people who run for office on a single issue and those who vote for people on single issues... extremely ignorant...
                    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I've harped on this before... But I would never vote for someone who believes creationism should have equal time in school.

It's not that I think teaching creationism is going to bring down civilization par se, it is just that it says so much about the mindset of the person. Bush is the prime example... He has the exact same philospohy about EVERYTHING - He makes up his mind about something, and then he goes about either trying to find a motivation for it or willfully ignoring the objections...
                      Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                        I don't understand people who run for office on a single issue and those who vote for people on single issues...
                        Why not? You like people based purely on party affiliation.

extremely ignorant...
                        hee hee.... hee hee hee...
                        If playground rules don't apply, this is anarchy! -Kelso

Comment

Originally posted by tandeetaylor

Why not? You like people based purely on party affiliation.
                          Yup but I base judgement after listening to several of their views... don't make stupid assumptions.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I would likely vote for a candidate if they had a well-considered plan for the abolition of Social Security, even if their other views were mostly diametrically opposite of mine.

Comment

I'm actually a single issue voter. That issue is, of course, liberty. If a candidate supports liberty (liberty as it is properly defined, of course), I vote for them. If they don't, then I don't. Wouldn't matter to me if that person called themselves a Communist, Republican, or anything else. Of course, the only people who support liberty these days are Libertarians, so Libertarians get my vote by default.
                              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X