Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did the world's first civilization appear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did the world's first civilization appear?

There are various theories about where the first "civilized" culture appeared in the world.

There are lots of theories on it. The two most popular are that the first "civilizations" appeared in the Middle East or India. Some more recent theories suggest the first "civilization" might have been located in south or meso america.
    Middle East
    70.00%
    India (indus)
    8.57%
    Meso America
    1.43%
    South America (andes)
    1.43%
    Elsewhere, please specify
    1.43%
    In a banana republic
    17.14%
    Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Hey, wheres the Atlantis option?
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Some more recent theories suggest the first "civilization" might have been located in south or meso america

a) Which theories would those be?

b) The first civilisation is usually ascribed to the eastern Mediterranean region, but not to the Middle East.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

There's currently a lot of speculation about some enigmatic structures at the bottom of the Indian Ocean, around 50 miles off the coast of India, about 50 feet down. Whatever is there (if anything), it appears to date from at least 7000 BC.

And then, there are the theories that the Sphinx is much, much older than the rest of the Giza momuments--it's erosion pattern suggests water erosion, meaning rainfall. To get enough rainfall to produce that much erosion, it would have to date to 7500 BC at the very earliest, and most likely to around 10,000 BC.

So, long story short, we have no idea, and probably won't for a while.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Which theories would those be?
          The Tiahuanaco theory, for one.

The first civilisation is usually ascribed to the eastern Mediterranean region, but not to the Middle East.
          Eastern Mediterranean is part of the middle east. Plus, many textbooks refer to sumeria as the world's first civilization, which certainly was located in the middle east.

Comment

Greece &co. will be glad to hear that they're part of the ME.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Greece &co. will be glad to hear that they're part of the ME.
              east med means israel and neighbours. and cyprus is considered to be part of asia, and not europe.

anyway, I don't think you could possible claim greece (incl. crete) to be the first civilization on earth.

Comment

Crete is among the first 3, at least.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Middle East, of course.

Though I find it bizarre that there's a "south america" option but no "east asia" option.
                  Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Crete is among the first 3, at least.
                    true enough, but this thread isn't about the first 3.

Though I find it bizarre that there's a "south america" option but no "east asia" option.
                    That's cause I haven't heard of any (semi)valid theories that there are east asian civilizations predating indian or middle eastern civilizations. If you know of any, please post them here.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

That's cause I haven't heard of any (semi)valid theories that there are east asian civilizations predating indian or middle eastern civilizations. If you know of any, please post them here.
                      I don't.
                      But for that matter, I don't know any for New World civilizations either, which is why I found it bizarre that New World civs are a choice and East Asian ones aren't.
                      Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

I'm going to stick with Iraq/fertile crescent area right now. Though from what I've been reading in recent years, it seems Egypt and/or Indus Valley may have some plausable claims.
                        "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

The Tiahuanaco theory seems to be based around some assumptions about both the intent and precision of the builders of that city. Reasonable archaeologists still date it to the first few centuries AD.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

no southeast asia nor egypt options....
                            I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

To quote the title of a book by Samual Noah Kramer, "History Begins At Sumer".

But Turkey (Catal Huyuk) seems to be quite old too...

Comment

Working...
                              X