Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concept A easily expressible in language X, claim that language X speakers don't understand concept A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've often misread the intent of people from other English speaking cultures when they're speaking to me. It wasn't unbridgeable by any means though.

Comment

Someone's getting excited for "Arrival."
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

German humor. I think it can be expressed in most languages but only understood by germans (and maybe austrians).

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Coming somewhat back to the language aspect, I'd say that if something is reasonable and can be rationally explained in one language there is no fundamental reason why other ppl using a diff. language would be unable to get it.

IIRC languages sometimes incorporate foreign terms that label something previously not known in the culture using that language.

However, to me it seems that certain aspects which do still feel more or less "alien" do appear so mainly because of those cultural factors, like mentality/mindset/history etc (so not purely because of different languages)

Well, at least that's what I think for now without being limited by any kind of expertise on the matter
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
            Coming somewhat back to the language aspect, I'd say that if something is reasonable and can be rationally explained in one language there is no fundamental reason why other ppl using a diff. language would be unable to get it.

IIRC languages sometimes incorporate foreign terms that label something previously not known in the culture using that language.

However, to me it seems that certain aspects which do still feel more or less "alien" do appear so mainly because of those cultural factors, like mentality/mindset/history etc (so not purely because of different languages)

Well, at least that's what I think for now without being limited by any kind of expertise on the matter

In English they are loan words, but I don't think the English language got consent beforehand and has no intention of giving them back.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

this happens a lot

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post

from english, it's the word "sissy"

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                  I think the gaps are very real, but they're not unbridgable per se. If you're not brought up in a culture where foreigners are all looked down on (Japan for instance) or a country where thinking long term is more natural than thinking about the short term (Japan again) or a country where embarrassing yourself in certain free time social situations but maintaining a cast iron aura of respectability in the workplace and most day to day social situations is required (yeah, that'll be Japan again) then understanding that culture in a way that it can actually seem natural to you is probably extremely difficult. We can describe those concepts in our own language but do we really understand what they represent, and the larger role they play in the overall culture?
                  So here's the thing for me. We can, as you did, describe those concepts in English. Additionally, amongst the hundreds of millions of English speakers worldwide, I suspect we could find someone who exemplifies the above traits (especially the first two). And if we can talk about and even choose individually to live it, it seems the only difference is in how widespread the concept is, not in how understandable it is. As far as why a concept is widespread, I'm just going to wave my hands and say "historical forces."
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                    So here's the thing for me. We can, as you did, describe those concepts in English. Additionally, amongst the hundreds of millions of English speakers worldwide, I suspect we could find someone who exemplifies the above traits (especially the first two). And if we can talk about and even choose individually to live it, it seems the only difference is in how widespread the concept is, not in how understandable it is. As far as why a concept is widespread, I'm just going to wave my hands and say "historical forces."
                    All you'd be doing then is finding people who share traits associated with the culture and using them as a point of comparison. You can understand parts of a different culture and still manage to fall flat on your face over other parts (something I do regularly in France still, despite it not being radically different to the UK).

Comment

Perhaps it is easier to do that in a closely related culture, because you make assumptions you shouldn't?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

any yall gits gon catch a fade wit dis O.G.?
                        Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                          Perhaps it is easier to do that in a closely related culture, because you make assumptions you shouldn't?
                          Maybe.

Comment

Working...
                          X