Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reverse Racism Effect

"Research Summary

Race-related debates often assume that implicit racial bias will result in racially biased decisions to shoot. Previous research has examined racial bias in police decisions by pressing “shoot” or “don't-shoot” buttons in response to pictures of armed and unarmed suspects. As a result of its lack of external validity, however, this methodology provides limited insight into officer behavior in the field. In response, we conducted the first series of experimental research studies that tested police officers and civilians in strikingly realistic deadly force simulators.

Policy Implications

This article reports the results of our most recent experiment, which tested 80 police patrol officers by applying this leading edge method. We found that, despite clear evidence of implicit bias against Black suspects, officers were slower to shoot armed Black suspects than armed White suspects, and they were less likely to shoot unarmed Black suspects than unarmed White suspects. These findings challenge the assumption that implicit racial bias affects police behavior in deadly encounters with Black suspects."
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

And yet real world stats indicate the opposite.

I wonder if it might have anything to do with the officers being told "OK, now we're going to test you to see when you shoot inappropriately".

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post

I wonder if it might have anything to do with the officers being told "OK, now we're going to test you to see when you shoot inappropriately".
      What real world stats? That a black person is more likely to be shot by a police officer? Put your thinking cap on. That isn't opposite.

Comment

Also, what is "real world" stats?

Comment

This was done at Washington State University.

How many more liberals want to accuse them of bad science?

Comment

officers were slower to shoot armed Black suspects than armed White suspects, and they were less likely to shoot unarmed Black suspects than unarmed White suspects
            I wish this would actually happen.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              I wish that I didn't just get proven to be an idiot.
              Ftfy

Comment

Liberals say they like "trans" things now, right? So why are they against "trans" fats, huh? Are they stupid, or just evil?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  Liberals say they like "trans" things now, right? So why are they against "trans" fats, huh? Are they stupid, or just evil?
                  Just start saying that it's a sin to eat trans fat then they will give people an award for bravery who eat it.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post

SOOOOOOOO True!

Even the researchers admit the problem with the study... From their summary " As a result of its lack of external validity, however, this methodology provides limited insight into officer behavior in the field."
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                      SOOOOOOOO True!

Even the researchers admit the problem with the study... From their summary " As a result of its lack of external validity, however, this methodology provides limited insight into officer behavior in the field."
                      He said that the research subjects were told what the study was for, you know that right?

Comment

the drug war has coarsened society and the main victims are brown people, it was dreamed up by the Nixon crowd to punish the hippies and blacks for opposing his war

the hippies were a passing fad, that left blacks as public enemy #1

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                          SOOOOOOOO True!

This is exactly what she said,
                          "James noted that her three studies have now tested a total of 116 police and 66 non-police participants, with the same results each time. She acknowledged that a video simulator is not the same as a live encounter, and that she had “limited diversity” from the Spokane police. But given that all three tests were performed before Ferguson, “this could represent a significant contribution to the literature on the impact of suspect race on actual deadly encounters,” the report concludes."

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                            the drug war has coarsened society and the main victims are brown people, it was dreamed up by the Nixon crowd to punish the hippies and blacks for opposing his war

the hippies were a passing fad, that left blacks as public enemy #1

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              He said that the research subjects were told what the study was for, you know that right?
                              Yeah... that's the whole point. It kind of invalidates the entire study. You know that.. right?
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X