No announcement yet.

Agnostic answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have believed many false things in the past e.g. you used to be a very obnoxiously vocal proponent of Communism, and now you have a new belief for which you have zero supporting evidence and are claiming that unlike every false belief you once held this belief is absolutely true because you've chosen to make it true. Surely even you can see how ridiculous that sounds. The sane alternative which is firmly backed up by evidence is that this new belief of yours is flawed (not necessarily "false," but definitely at a minimum "flawed") just like all of your old beliefs were flawed, and that rather than resting on your laurels at having found The Truth the rational action is to doubt your beliefs and to attempt to further refine them - something which would require a level of humility that you are incapable of.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Not believing Kid = believing lies.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
        You have believed many false things in the past e.g. you used to be a very obnoxiously vocal proponent of Communism, and now you have a new belief for which you have zero supporting evidence and are claiming that unlike every false belief you once held this belief is absolutely true because you've chosen to make it true. Surely even you can see how ridiculous that sounds. The sane alternative which is firmly backed up by evidence is that this new belief of yours is flawed (not necessarily "false," but definitely at a minimum "flawed") just like all of your old beliefs were flawed, and that rather than resting on your laurels at having found The Truth the rational action is to doubt your beliefs and to attempt to further refine them - something which would require a level of humility that you are incapable of.
        On the contrary. If I never doubted my beliefs then please explain why I am no longer a communist. Ooen-minded people change their beliefs when they question them.. Have you ever changed your beliefs or we're you born too stupid to change your beliefs to better beliefs?
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
          On the contrary. If I never doubted my beliefs then please explain why I am no longer a communist. Ooen-minded people change their beliefs when they question them.
          You've said that doubt is worthless, and yet doubt is what helped you to no longer be a Communist. Do you wish you were still a Communist? If not, then why are you denigrating doubt?
          Have you ever changed your beliefs or we're you born too stupid to change your beliefs to better beliefs?
          When insulting somebody's intelligence it's usually a good idea to run the post through a grammar/spell checker first, otherwise the forum might implode from the irony

I also fail to see how your completely unsubstantiated beliefs are "better" than anybody else's - all your beliefs (more importantly, your lack of doubt in your beliefs) have done is make you a lonely pariah

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
            Plato was the mothership of agnosticism.
            All I know is that I know nothing
            That's more Socrates than Plato.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You've said that doubt is worthless, and yet doubt is what helped you to no longer be a Communist. Do you wish you were still a Communist? If not, then why are you denigrating doubt?

When insulting somebody's intelligence it's usually a good idea to run the post through a grammar/spell checker first, otherwise the forum might implode from the irony

I also fail to see how your completely unsubstantiated beliefs are "better" than anybody else's - all your beliefs (more importantly, your lack of doubt in your beliefs) have done is make you a lonely pariah
              So you haven't changed your beliefs but you claim to doubt them? Interesting. What is the purpose of your doubt? Will you be changing your beliefs soon?

Doubt serves it's purpose. No one should choose not to doubt their beliefs when they are a child. You have to realize that doubting is not the end all be all though. It0 not the basis of a belief system.

Comment

So you haven't changed your beliefs but you claim to doubt them?
                Don't be a cretin

Comment

Please tell me the purpose of your doubt?

Comment

I already have, numerous times. But even if there wasn't a conscious "purpose" to doubt, it would still be rational for any fallible person (i.e. anybody but you, apparently) to doubt their beliefs.

Let's review:
                    1. You have been wrong many times in the past about many things
                    2. You have no evidence to indicate that you aren't wrong this time either
                    3. Therefore you should consider the possibility that you're wrong instead of acting like an *******

Comment

I already have, numerous times. But even if there wasn't a conscious "purpose" to doubt, it would still be rational for any fallible person (i.e. anybody but you, apparently) to doubt their beliefs.

Let's review:
                      1. You have been wrong many times in the past about many things
                      2. You have no evidence to indicate that you aren't wrong this time either
                      3. Therefore you should consider the possibility that you're wrong instead of acting like an *******
                      Let's try this. Please complete this sentence. The purpose for not believing something that I want to believe with the highest passion is ...

Comment

Let's try this. Please complete this sentence. The purpose for not believing something that I want to believe with the highest passion is ...
                        "because I have been wrong before and so in all likelihood I am wrong this time as well, and I would rather search for the truth than to believe a pleasant lie"

or

"because I am fallible and therefore it would be ridiculously hubristic of me to claim otherwise"

or

"because my belief in my own infallibility is damaging my life - hell, I almost got fired from my job thanks to my irrational hatred of 'feminists'"

or

"wanting to believe that something is true does not make it true"

et cetera

Comment

Besides, your fear of death indicates that you already doubt your beliefs (albeit privately), so what's the harm in acknowledging something that is already the case?

Comment

"because I have been wrong before and so in all likelihood I am wrong this time as well, and I would rather search for the truth than to believe a pleasant lie"

or

"because I am fallible and therefore it would be ridiculously hubristic of me to claim otherwise"

or

"because my belief in my own infallibility is damaging my life - hell, I almost got fired from my job thanks to my irrational hatred of 'feminists'"

or

"wanting to believe that something is true does not make it true"

et cetera
                            So it's not to know the truth then? You are just going to stick with the beliefs you have, doubting them, but never changing them?

The difference between you and I is that I have faith and you have doubt, but neither of us is going to change our beliefs. You won't because you are just going to doubt those beliefs too, just like the old ones, so what's the point?

You don't want to believe anything that isn't true, but you don't have faith that what you believe now is the truth.

Comment

Besides, your fear of death indicates that you already doubt your beliefs (albeit privately), so what's the harm in acknowledging something that is already the case?
                              I don't fear death. I look forward to eternal life with my Lord.

Comment

So it's not to know the truth then? You are just going to stick with the beliefs you have, doubting them, but never changing them?
                                Don't be a cretin, please address what I post without filling in the "gaps" with your usual bull****. I have never once said that my beliefs have never changed or that I don't expect my beliefs to change again. Now, please make another attempt at responding, otherwise I'll consider you a lost cause and will just start poking you with sticks again.

Comment

Working...
                                X