No announcement yet.

The Poly Pub Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Lady! Where is that so-called hubby of yours at? I didn't scare him off did I? Or is he living a double life too???? Uh huh. Baaahaaawaaha!

Comment

'Oh for crying out loud, this loud mouth is the last person I need harassing me tonight!' Everyone in the room, is looking at me in expectance now. I have to get this idiot out of here before Jsorense arrives. Aeson, at the door, catches my eye. I moved quickly towards him but PolyPsycho blocks my progress!
      "You aren't afraid of me too, are you?"
      "Look, I don't know what you have against my hubby, but you are crossing the line coming after me!" Aeson steps up and pushes his way between us and without a word, just points at the door. PolyPsycho seems to be sizing up Aeson, but just laughs and exits immediately.

"Aeson, thank you." Sheesh, those words don't seem like enough, but he grins widely and nods his head. He returns to his position by the door without a word said.

Comment

Glancing at my watch again, I realized last night was Sunday! Goodness, Jsorense, usually doesn't show up until well after 6pm on weekdays. I need to get some food in me to offset all of these drinks. I am going to try and have a sharper mind tonight and determine why he really is showing up here.

Comment

Trepidation is building. I keep glancing at my watch and wondering if Jsorense will indeed show up tonight? What if he is wise to what I am up too? Could he decipher the Hebrew script that was engraved behind my great grandfather and grandmothers photos?

My glance at the door was only greeted by Aeson's knowing grin again. Damn, what if Jsorense doesn't return?

Comment

jsorense stumbles through the doors just missing stepping on Aesons feet. He is still wearing the weathered trench coat and fedora, heis head is down as he makes a beeline to the bar. There are multiple suspicious bulges protruding from his coat. He stops in front of the Principal Bartender and Janator (yes PB&J). MikeH, aka Sparky, cast a questioning glance at jsorense and asks, "what's up bub?"
            jsorense wrestles a package from his coat and gives it to MikeH. "Give this to Mrs. Civ when she comes in. There's a fiver in it for you."
            He places a locket and a map on the bar. Then takes out a copy of Journal of Field Archaeology and starts to read patting his breast pocket where he has a copy of The map
            To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

My heart skips a beat as I watch Jsorense rush to the bar, seemingly not noticing me in this dark corner. I exhale the pent up breath that I didn't realize I was holding. Edging out from my booth, I move towards the bar. I notice he seems quite distracted tonight. Walking towards him, I am relieved that he did come back. A smile widens on my face as I gain his attention. "Jsorense, how good to see you, I sure hope you are not too sore from our tango last night?"

Comment

Jsorense acted as if he had not even noticed me. He hurried off to the direction of the men's room. I sat on a stool at the bar and ordered another drink. The bartender handed me a small packet. "Jsorense said this should be given to you, Mrs. Civ." As he left to fill my drink, I peeled back the corner of the package. My heart locket glistened within. Looking closer I seen my map was there as well.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	160502686802.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	9101931
                Click image for larger version

Name:	1204px-Giza_pyramid_complex_(map).svg.png
Views:	1
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	9101930

Hmm. Looking towards the direction that Jsorense disappeared and still not seeing him reappear yet, I wondered if he was just a simply gentleman after all? My phone vibrates in my pocket. One more quick glance confirmed He wasn't returning yet, so I went ahead and answered.
                "You are not working late again, are you?" My husband asked, slightly sarcastically.
                "No, not at all, I just was finishing up on my project and will join you shortly, dear." I vaguely caught him saying, I love you, but couldn't respond in kind. My swipe end to the call had made that impossible. Sigh. 'No matter, I will tell him soon.' I told myself.

One more glance at a chance to speak to Jsorense and I realized it was another missed opportunity. I had to leave. I told the bartender to make sure Jsorense knew I really appreciated him returning my things. His eyebrows raised quizzically, but he nodded affirmation.

Comment

In the Gentelmen's room jsorense was busily shaving, gargling, putting in eye drops, and layering on anti-wrinkle cream. The last touch was placing the fedora on his head just right in order to cover up his bald spot. Checking himself in the mirror he was finally satisfied. Oh, oh! He had almost forgotten . . . Old Spice.
                  Waltzing back into the bar room, literally waltzing, JSorense was shocked to see that Mrs. Civ had already left. Crestfallen, he climbed onto a stool.
                  "Sparky," he moaned, "where did she go?"
                  Polishing a highball glass he said in his posh British accent, "Oy! She went 'alf an 'our ago. Blimey, you took your time an you howe me five bucks."
                  The jukebox started to play the plaintive strains of "Heartbreaker". jsorense pounded the bar with his fist and exclaimed, not for the first or last time, "Damn, if I didn't have bad luck I would have no luck at all."
                  "'ow's about a drink, mate?" asked MikeH.
                  "Sure, why not. Make it a Cuba Libre in honor of Mr. Civ, the lucky bastard." slurred jsorense through gritting teeth.
                  To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

I enter into the Pub and pause, allowing my eyes to adjust to the lighting. 'The strange phone message I received earlier said that a Mr. Ming wished to discuss a certain ancient matter with me and I should meet with him here at the Poly Pub.'

My eyes scan the room, yet all I could see were the regulars. I decide I best have a drink to settle my nerves so I slide onto my favorite barstool. The bartender was distracted from a call at the back of the room. "MikeH, hold that drink!" A well dressed man appeared and walked towards me. 'God, is my tab overdue already?' I wondered. "Mrs. Civ, we have your drink ready in back, please, join us."

Without waiting, he turned and headed back towards the door he appeared from. I looked askance at MikeH the bartender, but he only shrugged non-committingly. Sigh, I grasped my hand bag off of the counter and joined the waiting man at the door. It opened into a narrow hallway that extended back further than what I thought this building would allow. I attempted to ask this man who he was, but he had motioned to a closed door on our right.

He rapped on it and then pushed it open, encouraging me to go first. I stepped into an immaculate room that seemed strangely austere in its surroundings. My sight stopped on an interesting Asian man standing beside a bookcase along the wall. The door closing behind me was slightly startling, especially realizing I, now, was all alone with this strange man. "Mrs. Civ, please, come sit and have a drink with me." His arm stretched out in the direction of a couple of plush chairs and very ornate coffee table. Where I could see a couple of glasses on a tray.

Comment

He sat down seemingly in his element and lifted his own glass, swirling the liquid inside. I sat down and did not touch my glass. There was just something about this man that made me uneasy. His eyebrows were trimmed to a center point and his grin was framed by an unusual style of trimmed facial hair. He seemed to have arrived straight out of ancient Asia.

"I can see you are quite perplexed by my appearance and my wish to speak with you. Yes?" I just nodded my head in agreement as he continued.

"Mrs. Civ, You and I seem to have a similar interest. I know you have been indulging in research regarding ancient Egypt and believe you could assist me in a decades research that I have been doing." he paused to sip his drink.

"Mr. Ming, how do you know what I am researching would be helpful to you?"

He laughed knowingly, "Trust me, I know." An image of Jsorense came to me and I wondered if he was indeed spying on me?

He sat back and began to stroke his beard as in thought. "I have contemplated on where to begin. My own research has taken me from China, India, and led to Egypt." He momentarily paused as he took another sip from his glass.

My curiousity was peaked and I settled in my chair more comfortably. 'Perhaps, he could have some information that would be helpful. As long as he seems to be willing to share, I will listen. There is nothing saying I will share anything with him. '

Comment

Ming began to explain.
                        It all began for me, When I previously had a glimpse at a journal that detailed an Empress Wu's research. Empress Wu reigned 690-705ad.

She became quite fascinated with a curious egyptian scroll that was discovered in a statue. This statue was not of a fertility god as originally believed, but was of an ancient early Indu Civilation Queen named Ati, who had ruled in the Harrapan region far to the west In the mid 1400 BC along the Indus River. Emperor Gaozong apparently, impressed upon Empress Wu to assist him when he became disposed due to strokes.

She became more engrossed when her advisors, sent via sea trade routes, brought back information about stories of the land of Punta and another female ruler in Egypt, named Hatshepsut. This Egyptian ruler seemed to have had good relations with this Queen Ati during her reign. Hatshepsut obviously, did not find out the secret. She would have done more than incorporated fen shui into her land. Though, she must have discovered something and shared this with Queen Ati, she even noted Punta was Gods Land. Learning that no one knew what had happened to her or where such a great leader was buried did not make any sense! Even Queen Ati had nearly been erased.
                        My mind was swirling from too much new information. I raised my hand for Mr. Ming to stop speaking and asked, "Would it be alright if I take some notes to check on later?"

Oddly, he did seem chagrined. " yes, of course, please do. I have been immersed in this for over a decade and forget how overwhelming it may seem to one such as yourself!"

As I was digging out my own journal and pen out of my handbag, I noticed I had apparently missed some text messages from my husband. I did not want him to worry, so I thought I would quickly reply. "You don't mind, Mr. Ming, I just need to reassure my husband that I am here?"

He seemed distracted in his thoughts and just waved his hand to go ahead.

Comment

jsorense woke up on the pub floor underneath the table of his favorite booth his head pillowed bu a rolled up trenchcoat. After a quick inventory he discovered, to his relief, that he was fully clothed, didn't have a hangover and that his hat was still firmly on his head.
                          "Jez, what time is it?" asked jsorense.
                          "It's time you paid you bill." offered MikeH unhelpfully.
                          JSorense's tongue explored his mouth which tasted like a bat guano cave.
                          "Give us a little help here, Sparky." implored jsorense.
                          "yer in luck, mate. It's Two-fer-Tuesday. Will the regular do ya?"
                          Nodding in appreciation jsorense looked around looking for someone.
                          "Have you seen Mrs. Civ."
                          While pouring the double shots of rye MikeH motioned to the back of the pub and gave a worried shake of his head.
                          The meaning was clear. Ming! The brains behind many a nefarious racket. He and his twin brother rah, the muscle of the team, had a long, long history of banning, influenced peddling, smuggling and extortion in this end of town. No one was above their law.

Comment

He continued when he had seen I was prepared to listen.

Obsessed, with what this scroll signified, empress Wu had scoured deeper into Egypt's history back into the 3rd dynasties when Djoser reigned and Imhotep was his vizier. Imhotep had sent emissaries deep into the Sanliqiao II region and as far east via the Yellow river to Erlitou. It was disclosed to the Pharoah Khufu that this was the land where the Gods originated. A collection of special spells and alchemy was taken from the people residing near the Gods. Pharoah Khufu deemed it was not fit for mere civilization but for the gods alone. The collection was never seen nor mentioned again.

Empress Wu wanted to discover this treasure for it seemed it should rightly be hers. She imagined what great things she could accomplish as Empress with knowledge that could be found within such a collection. The scroll she found depicted that she would have God like powers.

She did not discover it and her Egyptian scroll was simply dismissed as a forgery created from Quran influences of that era.
                            "Then, more recently, I had discovered a statue and a scroll misidentified In the Royal Ontario Museum. I believe it is indeed the scroll and statue that had obsessed the Empress Wu. " He paused and began pouring us another drink.

Handing me my glass, his expression is hopeful. " Now, Mrs. Civ, I have found the trail has led me to you."

Comment

"Well this is a fine mess." thought jsorense. He felt in his trenchcoat pocket for a familiar bulge, and out came his Smith and Wesson .38.
                              "Oops!" apologized jsorense with a blush and reached into his other pocket and pulled out his phone. Speed dialing he asked, "Mr. Civ, do you know where your wife is?"

Comment

I look at all the notes, I have written down. Shaking my head, non-plussed. "Mr. Ming, honestly, this is a lot of information you have provided me, but I am not sure how useful it is to me?"

He seems unperturbed and nonchalant. "I do understand. You are one who likes to delve deeper, yes?" He takes a sip of his drink and doesn't even let me respond! "You go do your own research on what I have told you and I am sure you will want to review Empress Wu's journal, the scroll, and statue for yourself." his eyebrows raised in askance.

A pent-up sigh escapes my lips. He certainly seems knowledgeable about me. "Mr. Ming, you are probably right, but I do need some time?" 'Aaugh, I meant to sound authoritative, not seeking permission!'

His grin widens, and he stands. "Mrs. Civ, you run along now, I know you will be back."
                                Surprised, I couldn't help but ask, "How will I get ahold of you, if I do want to?"
                                His smile widened even more and actually looked more sinister. "Don't you worry about that. I will know and will find you."

Comment

Working...
                                X