UK: Obese woman blames government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK: Obese woman blames government

An obese mother-of-two who lives on benefits says she needs more of taxpayers' money to overhaul her unhealthy lifestyle.

Christina Briggs, 26, from Wigan, says she hates being 25 stone but she can't do anything about it because she can only afford junk food. Meanwhile, exercise is out of the question because she doesn't have the funds to join a gym.

The single mother told Closer Magazine: 'It's not easy being overweight and on benefits. If I was well off, I'd be able to buy fresh food and afford a gym membership.

'I tried swimming but it cost £22 a month and it meant I had to cut back on my favourite pizza and Chinese takeaways.'

Unemployed Christina gets £20,000 in benefits a year and lives in a council house with her two children by different fathers, Helena, 10, and Robert, two.

She left school as a teenager after falling pregnant with her daughter following a one night stand.

The family feast everyday on takeaways, chocolate and crisps as Christina says they can't afford low fat foods. As a result, the mother is currently a dress size 26.

She has been warned by her GP that her health is in danger because of her size - medical complications relating to obesity include heart disease and diabetes.

Christina is desperate not to leave her two children without a mother and doesn't want her size to take her to an early grave.

But she insists 'it's not my fault – healthy food is too expensive'.

She feels her only hope is for the government to give her more money so she can afford to buy fruit and vegetables and join a gym.

She also believes she should be paid to lose weight as that would give her the motivation to fight the flab.

She told the magazine: 'I need more benefits to eat healthily and exercise. It would be good if the government offered a cash incentive for me to lose weight. I'd like to get £1 for every pound I lose, or healthy food vouchers.

'If the price of healthy food was lowered that would help, too. I need help, but I need it from the government.'

She added that she can't get a job to gain more money because she's needed at home to care for her children, especially as her daughter has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and issues with her kidneys.

She explained: 'There's no way I could get a job. I don't feel bad about the taxpayer funding my life and my child's medical problems, because I don't treat myself or buy anything excessive. I just get enough money to live on - the taxpayers should help fund my diet.'

AAHZ is on the verge of being fat (6' 180 lbs,) and I also eat a lot of takeout and junk food, but I hide my weight well and I am starting to finally read the back of some of these food packages.

Needless to say women like the one in the OP make me want to vote Republican.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Government isn't the answer to these sorts of problems... charity is. Donate to the No Food for Fatties Foundation today! Your generous contributions will help us send the proper amount of calories for a healthy diet to people suffering from obesity around the world.

Comment

This reminds me of an east german judge who became diabetic and obese because he basically lived only from chocolate bars throughout many years of his life.
        When diabetes was diagnosed he tried to sue Mars Inc., because they didn´t have a warning on their chocolate bar wrappings, that consuming lots of them might be bad for your health and might cause diabetes.

(The case was dismissed however, with the acting judge basically saying, that every person with at least half a brain would be able to realize, that basing almost your whole diet on chocolate bars would be very very bad for your health)

As for OP:
        Someone please tell this woman that jogging and/or doing gymnastic exercises doesn´t require a membership in a Gym
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Healthy food is cheap as ****. Vegetables cost basically nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
            Healthy food is cheap as ****. Vegetables cost basically nothing.
            This is also true here. Woman in story is full of ****.

Comment

I am not sure why people think healthy food is expensive. For some it's just an excuse to buy the junk food they really want, but plenty of smart people persist to believe in this myth.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

How is fat people blaming tax payers any different from feminists blaming men. Eat **** reg.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                  I am not sure why people think healthy food is expensive. For some it's just an excuse to buy the junk food they really want, but plenty of smart people persist to believe in this myth.
                  Healthy food being cheap does not mean that all poor people can simply switch to healthy diets. In the op the woman is clearly a jackass, but for families working multiple jobs, with limited cooking facilities and very limited access to stores that stock healthy options things are not nearly as black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                    How is fat people blaming tax payers any different from feminists blaming men. Eat **** reg.
                    Not that you're obsessed or anything..

Comment

Kidicious would you please post about something else? Even neo-nazi **** would be better at this point, at least it'd be different.

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      Healthy food being cheap does not mean that all poor people can simply switch to healthy diets. In the op the woman is clearly a jackass, but for families working multiple jobs, with limited cooking facilities and very limited access to stores that stock healthy options things are not nearly as black and white.
                      As counter-evidence I present my diet through most of college. (I've recently begrudgingly admitted that cheese from the deli is better than kraft singles but I refuse to give up canned corn)

Also, merely eating less is cheaper too.

Comment

I'm going to assume that during college you weren't working 16 hour days, then looking after several kids. Feel free to correct me if that's incorrect.

Comment

You are basically wrong, considering people don't actually work 16 hour days.

But I'm interested in hearing how that's someone else's fault than my own.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                            Kidicious would you please post about something else? Even neo-nazi **** would be better at this point, at least it'd be different.

As counter-evidence I present my diet through most of college. (I've recently begrudgingly admitted that cheese from the deli is better than kraft singles but I refuse to give up canned corn)

Also, merely eating less is cheaper too.
                            You are talking about fat people blaming taxpayers for their obesity. THAT IS NOT BETTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              You are basically wrong, considering people don't actually work 16 hour days.
                              Plenty of people work 16 hour days, what are you talking about?

Comment

Working...
                              X