Anyone play Rimworld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
    Isn´t the thing which makes you lose power a solar storm?
    Or did you only use solar sails (instead of geothermal generators as well) ?
    Maybe. I've only had the eclipse happen so far... well, to disrupt power. I had a blight wipe out most of my food stocks. Luckily, there were lots of berries around.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I started a second game. I think I've played about 20 hrs total. I'm still at 3 colonists.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

okay, I figured out that the AI influences the amount of colonists. I chose the random guy now instead of the builder before. The random guy will give you some colonists. I've got 6 now. Manpower is a beautiful thing.

Dry thunderstorms are scary. The lightning strikes and starts a fire, which soon grows to be quite massive (7-10 tile diameter now). Hopefully, the storm turns into rain. The fire isn't quite a threat to my base, but it could possibly become one if left unchecked.

Also, I can't smoke due to the wisdom tooth removal, so I tried my hand at a quick peanut butter edible recipe. It's taken a while for it to kick in, but I'm starting to feel it.

We'll see if it gets stronger. But so far, meh.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

LOL yes, dry thunderstorms are a scourge.

If you want your colonists to put out fire, define the region where the fire is located (as well s its rurrounding) as home region. Colonists will then run to the location and try to put out the fire (you can delete the region as home region afterwards ... and better should, unless you want your colonists to constantly keep a patch of wilderness clean )

I have used this technique more than once, when there was a danger of the fire spreading and endangering outlying structures (like my walled farms or my geothermal generators)
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Yeah I tried that. My colonists started cleaning around the area instead of fighting the fire.

I just figured... let it burn
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I have seven or eight colonists now. I've captured and recruited two. The others just randomly joined.

Some of my favorite things in this game:
              -constructing a kill zone area outside of the main entrance for enemies to die
              -making a dump zone stockpile for the bodies in this area as a warning to others
              -tunneling/building long "arms" of my base to connect all the geothermal power supplies
              -designing base layout in general
              -watching the local wildlife go mad and run into the kill zone
              -achieving energy independence by using only geothermal sources (FUCK YOU SOLAR ECLIPSE )
              -relaxing while my minions work (game is a massive time waster )
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

All the (visible) geothermal vents in my map are inconveniently placed, so I have a massive (like 18x18 total size) compartmentalized battery room dug deep in the mountain for backup.
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I don´t care all too much about the distance between geothermal generators and base.
                  I just connect them via powerline, however long it may be

Fortunately animals, siegers and raiders don´t seem to care about geothermal generators and just head straight for the base.
                  (although for security reasons ... and in order to keep out firestorms ... I usually surround the generator with a stone wall and paved area nevertheless)
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

If I leave cables outdoors, it's just a matter of time before they short-circit due to the rain, or something nibbles on them.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                      If I leave cables outdoors, it's just a matter of time before they short-circit due to the rain, or something nibbles on them.
                      Never happened to me ...
                      Batteries shortcut in rain ... and devices that use power.
                      But I never had a cable shortcut .. and they are out in the open all of the time in my colonies

Comment

I think cables are okay in the rain. I had a few sun lamps blow up due to rain. When in doubt, you can always extend a wooden wall.

My strategy is similar to Proteus'. Though, I surround the area and connect it to my base before I lay any cables or anything. I enjoy that you can leave resources out in the open and they don't get stolen or disappear.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                        X