Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Got my Army ROTC/National Guard information packet today...

  1. #1
    regexcellent
    Emperor regexcellent's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Jun 2011
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    6,664
    Country
    This is regexcellent's Country Flag
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25

    Got my Army ROTC/National Guard information packet today...

    ...and I'm kind of giggling at the massive Lee Greenwood*-esque over the top patriotic imagery and slogans, e.g. "NATIONAL GUARD: BE A MODERN DAY MINUTEMAN!" followed by pictures of men in army uniforms helping small children.

    Also, the folder it came in has a picture of an attractive female 2nd Lieutenant on the front. I don't know if they're trying to subliminally tell me that I will meet hot chicks in the National Guard, but if they are then I am highly skeptical (though a man can hope).

    By the way, does this make me more successful at joining the military than Alby?

    *fun fact: Lee Greenwood has never served in the military and has had two divorces. He doesn't practice what he preaches nearly as much as, say, Snoop Dogg.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the rust belt where industry won't go

  2. #2
    Al B. Sure!
    Deity Al B. Sure!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Mar 1999
    Location
    Quantico
    Posts
    23,799
    Country
    This is Al B. Sure!'s Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 53 Times in 39 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    Quote Originally Posted by regexcellent View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By the way, does this make me more successful at joining the military than Alby?
    No. You got an information packet. I contracted and swore in twice.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

  3. #3
    Lorizael
    Deity Lorizael's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Sep 2001
    Location
    Orion Arm
    Posts
    11,981
    Country
    This is Lorizael's Country Flag
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 119 Times in 85 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. You got an information packet. I contracted and swore in twice.
    Which makes you twice as successful as those that have only contracted and sworn in once, right?
    Discuss the latest Civilization: Beyond Earth news here!
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

  4. #4
    regexcellent
    Emperor regexcellent's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Jun 2011
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    6,664
    Country
    This is regexcellent's Country Flag
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    I got an information packet AND submitted my stuff to participate next quarter.

    Those free boots they give you with the combat uniform look really kickass, I can't wait. Apparently they're super comfy.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the rust belt where industry won't go

  5. #5
    regexcellent
    Emperor regexcellent's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Jun 2011
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    6,664
    Country
    This is regexcellent's Country Flag
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    I mean, if all I have to do is show up to the leadership labs once a week, work out three days a week, and get a liberal arts credit where I get to shoot rifles, in order to get a free pair of boots, count me in!
    I come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the rust belt where industry won't go

  6. #6
    Felch
    Emperor Felch's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Sep 2001
    Location
    Germantown, Maryland
    Posts
    7,654
    Country
    This is Felch's Country Flag
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 116 Times in 89 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    The military is just like the mob; they'll never ask for anything in return.
    Do not take anything I say seriously. It's just the Internet. It's not real life.

  7. #7
    regexcellent
    Emperor regexcellent's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Jun 2011
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    6,664
    Country
    This is regexcellent's Country Flag
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25


    I have two years to decide whether to actually contract. And when I do, if I do, I'm selecting the "weekend warrior" option.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the rust belt where industry won't go

  8. #8
    Al B. Sure!
    Deity Al B. Sure!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Mar 1999
    Location
    Quantico
    Posts
    23,799
    Country
    This is Al B. Sure!'s Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 53 Times in 39 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    Quote Originally Posted by regexcellent View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I got an information packet AND submitted my stuff to participate next quarter.

    Those free boots they give you with the combat uniform look really kickass, I can't wait. Apparently they're super comfy.
    The boots are great. I guess back in the day, they sucked but they're so comfortable and light now. Some like the Bates Lite are basically high-top running shoes.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

  9. #9
    Al B. Sure!
    Deity Al B. Sure!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Mar 1999
    Location
    Quantico
    Posts
    23,799
    Country
    This is Al B. Sure!'s Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 53 Times in 39 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    Quote Originally Posted by regexcellent View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I have two years to decide whether to actually contract. And when I do, if I do, I'm selecting the "weekend warrior" option.
    Don't fall for the recruitment hype. This will be a serious commitment. People thought the entirety of their obligation would be one weekend a month, two weeks a year until they got activated.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

  10. #10
    regexcellent
    Emperor regexcellent's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Jun 2011
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    6,664
    Country
    This is regexcellent's Country Flag
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    Yes, a serious commitment in two years. If I contract I have to spend 8 years drilling, during which I would likely be activated once or twice unless the DoD is full of **** and I get activated four times because we decide to invade yet another country. I wouldn't be doing this if I had to contract now.

    I think it's clear at this point that the national guard is getting activated way too often and they'll mostly stick to the 9 months once in six years rule. Again, the final decision for me is two years from now.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the rust belt where industry won't go

  11. #11
    gribbler
    Deity gribbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Feb 2010
    Location
    Nazi Moon Colony
    Posts
    13,826
    Country
    This is gribbler's Country Flag
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 122 Times in 97 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    08:25
    Quote Originally Posted by regexcellent View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and I'm kind of giggling at the massive Lee Greenwood*-esque over the top patriotic imagery and slogans, e.g. "NATIONAL GUARD: BE A MODERN DAY MINUTEMAN!" followed by pictures of men in army uniforms helping small children.

    Also, the folder it came in has a picture of an attractive female 2nd Lieutenant on the front. I don't know if they're trying to subliminally tell me that I will meet hot chicks in the National Guard, but if they are then I am highly skeptical (though a man can hope).

    By the way, does this make me more successful at joining the military than Alby?

    *fun fact: Lee Greenwood has never served in the military and has had two divorces. He doesn't practice what he preaches nearly as much as, say, Snoop Dogg.
    You're just as successful as he is, but less of a failure.
    "South Africa is a shithole. It used to be a decent place." -Ben Kenobi, sharing his wisdom on world history

  12. #12
    Dinner
    Deity Dinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Sep 2001
    Location
    Look at the puppy!
    Posts
    29,678
    Country
    This is Dinner's Country Flag
    Thanks
    311
    Thanked 85 Times in 78 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    06:25
    Best advice: Skip the national guard or reserves and do ROTC if that's what you're in to.
    "Our scientific power has out run out spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King Jr.
    "A cynical, mercenary, demagogic press will produce in time a people as base as itself."
    - Joseph Pulitzer

  13. #13
    DaShi
    Emperor DaShi's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Sep 2000
    Location
    The Taste of Japan
    Posts
    7,886
    Country
    This is DaShi's Country Flag
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 156 Times in 120 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:25
    Free boots, you say...
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

  14. #14
    regexcellent
    Emperor regexcellent's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Jun 2011
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    6,664
    Country
    This is regexcellent's Country Flag
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Best advice: Skip the national guard or reserves and do ROTC if that's what you're in to.
    The idea is to do ROTC and commission into the Guard.
    I come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the rust belt where industry won't go

  15. #15
    regexcellent
    Emperor regexcellent's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Jun 2011
    Location
    Rochester, New York
    Posts
    6,664
    Country
    This is regexcellent's Country Flag
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 99 Times in 82 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    Good people of Poly, I have an important question for you all:



    Would you hit it?

    (The woman, not the folder obviously)
    I come from the land of the ice and snow
    From the rust belt where industry won't go

  16. #16
    gribbler
    Deity gribbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Feb 2010
    Location
    Nazi Moon Colony
    Posts
    13,826
    Country
    This is gribbler's Country Flag
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 122 Times in 97 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    08:25
    I would. Al probably wouldn't because she's white and probably doesn't have an enormous behind.
    "South Africa is a shithole. It used to be a decent place." -Ben Kenobi, sharing his wisdom on world history

  17. #17
    Al B. Sure!
    Deity Al B. Sure!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Mar 1999
    Location
    Quantico
    Posts
    23,799
    Country
    This is Al B. Sure!'s Country Flag
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 53 Times in 39 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    09:25
    Quote Originally Posted by gribbler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would. Al probably wouldn't because she's white and probably doesn't have an enormous behind.


    Make up your mind. One moment, I'm gay; the next, I like big booty Black *****es.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

  18. #18
    dannubis
    Emperor
    Join Date
    16 Apr 2002
    Posts
    4,119
    Country
    This is dannubis's Country Flag
    Thanks
    201
    Thanked 41 Times in 37 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    15:25
    I would be very much surprised if she is actually in the army.
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

  19. #19
    gribbler
    Deity gribbler's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Feb 2010
    Location
    Nazi Moon Colony
    Posts
    13,826
    Country
    This is gribbler's Country Flag
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 122 Times in 97 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    08:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Make up your mind. One moment, I'm gay; the next, I like big booty Black *****es.
    I guess you're bi. You're a 5 on the Kinsey scale.
    "South Africa is a shithole. It used to be a decent place." -Ben Kenobi, sharing his wisdom on world history

  20. #20
    The Mad Monk
    Deity The Mad Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Mar 2000
    Location
    Flyover Country
    Posts
    10,846
    Country
    This is The Mad Monk's Country Flag
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 83 Times in 71 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    08:25
    Quote Originally Posted by dannubis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would be very much surprised if she is actually in the army.
    I wouldn't. There were some lookers at the Republican caucus in Leavenworth.
    "We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.

  21. #21
    DaShi
    Emperor DaShi's Avatar
    Join Date
    29 Sep 2000
    Location
    The Taste of Japan
    Posts
    7,886
    Country
    This is DaShi's Country Flag
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 156 Times in 120 Posts
    Local Date
    April 20, 2014
    Local Time
    13:25
    Quote Originally Posted by regexcellent View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good people of Poly, I have an important question for you all:



    Would you hit it?

    (The woman, not the folder obviously)
    Hell no! I don't hit women.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Similar Threads

  1. Today is National Doctors' Day...
    By Guynemer in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 30, 2007, 15:10
  2. Replies: 34
    Last Post: February 15, 2005, 01:12
  3. Information about rival's army
    By Vasiliy in forum Civilization III
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 1, 2001, 13:16
  4. West Point, ROTC and other wonders
    By Lonestar in forum Civ3-General-Archive
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: September 27, 2000, 22:11

Visitors found this page by searching for:

national guard information packet

army info packet

army my info packet

national guard free packet information

women in the national guard

how do i get army information packets sent to me by post

army information packet

national guard request information packetsend me a in the mail national guard information packetmail info packet on militaryrotc information packetprintable info packet national guardarmy information packets by mailnational guard send me info I started my army packetget national guard info packet sent to homenational guard mail packet infoarmy complete info packet nypacket for rotc to contractnational guard rochester ny rotcpowered by vBulletin information on the armyarmy packet information of everythingrochester rotc bootsapplying national guard info packet sent by mailnational guard information women

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions