Why do you vote the way you vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you vote the way you vote?

I know there's a dedicated US election thread, but I think this is a subject with a broader potential scope.

Over the years, I've slowly come to the conclusion that there's no point in voting for candidates because you want them to enact specific legislation or policies. There's simply no guarantee that your vote, or that candidate, or that piece of political action is going to bring about what you want. What's more, my actual stances on certain issues are so crazy that there isn't always a suitable corollary in any of the candidates or policies from which I have to choose. Additionally, I'm not particularly concerned with the fate of the Unites States (or any other country, for that matter). All that concerns me is that humanity persists.

So, instead, I've come to realize that my interests are best served by voting for candidates that share ideas I support. This is, I believe, an important distinction from voting for candidates that will actually do things I support. My goal in this is to change the national conversation, to slowly shift the culture of the country closer toward the kinds of ideas I have - not so that those ideas are eventually put into law, but simply so that there are more people that share them.

To that end, my voting strategy this year has been to identify those ideas that are most important to me and figure out which candidates have ideas that are on the path toward those ideas. These issues are:

Science - I want to achieve omniscience. Unfortunately, we don't quite have a handle on how to bring this about, so I want as much as possible to promote the advancement of science and technology.

Energy - It's going to take a lot of energy to conquer the universe and we won't be able to do it with coal plants. Whether we need to look at fusion, wind power, Dyson spheres, or forcing poor people to run in giant hamster wheels, I believe we need to do whatever it takes to exploit the energy of the universe before it's too late.

Healthcare - Dead people don't do much. It's my firm belief that people should not have to struggle simply to live productive lives, and that the right to the opportunity to live a productive life must be universal.

Education - Stupid people don't do much, either. It is inexcusable that kids are still made fun of for being smart, and it is inexcusable that most people are thoroughly unaware of their own limits and capabilities.

Civil Rights - I don't particularly care if black people run faster than whites, Jews are better with money than non-Jews, or gays have better fashion sense than straights. I want everyone to be able to sprint like a cheetah, have a stash of gold hidden somewhere, and wear snazzy clothes. The more we distinguish and discriminate between people, the less productive our population is as a whole.

So, what's your voting philosophy? What do you look for in your candidates? What do you ultimately want to accomplish by participating in the democratic process?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Sounds like you'd like Timothy Leary's S.M.I.I.L.E - Space Migration, Increased Intelligence, Life Extension. See also Robert Anton Wilson on this subject.

Comment

I generally vote to cause Gridlock.

Last election I voted because I was pissed at Republicans.

I check out everything they say, realize they will do something different.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Becasue I use my brain?
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

That seems highly unlikely.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I don't vote because I think politician X or party Y will solve the issues I care about in a matter that makes me all happy about it. I'm ok when things don't go too wrong most of the time, and move occasionally into the right direction.

I either vote for a party I generally support (which means we could differ in a lot of details) and has candidates I trust at least so much that I don't think they're total douches (which includes the risk of being proven wrong on that point) or because I am under the silly illusion that my vote could make some impact on a more strategic level.

Since we have 5 parties in parliament, and coalitions are possible and also the rule for decades now I could for example vote for the minor partner of a possible coalition to support the forming of such a coalition even if I'm actually more for the big guys policy-wise.
            Blah

Comment

In different elections I have voted in different ways and with different motivations. Usually I vote for the person I perceive as the "best candidate". This involves their intelligence, my perception of their character/integrity and a bit of their ideology. But mainly the person . .. I would rather have a bright, engaged thoughtful person with whom I have some policy differences than an idiot.

Other times I have voted more on ideology-- I want to support a party which has ideas closest to my own. On occasion I have voted as a protest of to help a minor party since they get funding based on number of votes they get.

Currently, federally we have a Conservative MP that I find obnoxiously terrible so I never vote for him. THis particular decision may seem futile since we reside in one of the safest Conservative ridings anywhere but parking a vote with say the Green Party feels good. I want their message to get out there and influence people even though I would shudder at the idea of them governing here with their current leadership and candidates
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Because the other parties are EVEN WORSE!
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

What Flubber said, basically.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm currently experimenting with not voting, because all I really want is for them to stop spending nonexistent money, and no candidate is going to give me that.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

How is not voting going to make it better?
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Blerp.
                        Last edited by Lorizael; November 2, 2010, 13:19. Reason: I'm too tired to make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                          How is not voting going to make it better?
                          It's not, but it won't really make it worse. WRT the thing I care most about, pretty much to the exclusion of everything else, I'm powerless. Might as well be powerless and save a little time and gas money. If I hear a politician is pushing for death camps or something, I'll get off my ass and vote. But the only difference is that they want to waste their Monopoly money on different things.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

At the federal level, your view (while cynical and depressing) is probably pretty accurate (I don't know the details in your district).

The same does not necessarily go for your state-level options.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              That seems highly unlikely.
                              Thanks !
                              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                              X