Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord of the Rings Online

SALUTATIONS.

Does anyone else here play LOTRO? Specifically, anyone else on Brandywine?

I've got a lifetime subscription and I stopped playing for six months, but the upcoming Mines of Moria expansion looks spectacular and I've been in the game hardcore now for the past week again.

Much better game than World of Warcraft, less little twits running around. Also liked it better than Age of Conan and Warhammer Online, which I only played about 2 hours each of.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

May as well just play WoW.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
      May as well just play WoW.
      Agreed I did Alpha 2 thru Beta 3 (I think it was Beta 3), and tried really hard to like it but in the end it was WoW in a Middle Earth wrapper basically.
      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I played WoW from the closed beta all the way to like 3 months before the first expansion.

LOTRO has a lot of things WoW doesn't have and does them better, like the Deed system and steady content updates.

I played WoW to death with 3 L60s (Paladin, Rogue, Mage), have zero interest in playing it farther.

You WoW noobs should go scatter now. Some of us have been there, done that.

I also don't pay any monthly fees with LOTRO and the characters never expire if I stop playing it, which is very nice. It also remains the best looking and sounding MMORPG on the market. DirectX 10 graphics and full OpenAL (X-Fi/EAX) support.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Also, check out the gameplay mechanics of the new Warden class.

And the fellowship maneuvers.

WoW is, in a lot of ways, a simpler version of LOTRO for the mindless masses.

Comment

I agree that its got some differences but in the end its another WoW clone.

I can understand why you would like it if you played WoW to death.

I got one character to about level 25 and quit, and never went back, and never want to.
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I don't see how you can call it a WoW clone. Why don't you elaborate on that.

I've played MMORPGs since Ultima Online, including Everquest, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, etc. Are you calling it a clone of WoW because it's a MMORPG, or do you have substance to that argument?

To be honest it sounds just like somebody who thinks all MMORPGs are "clones of World of Warcraft".

I play the game with a close group of friends, and all of us have left WoW for it and find it to be much better. We've also tried Warhammer Online and Age of Conan, but they're not much better -- Age of Conan just isn't very deep, and Warhammer Online is a WoW clone...but just with more PvP emphasis (which I'm not big on anyway).

Comment

I keep playing WOW because my freinds play. I liked LOTRO better, but my computer had a real hard time with it.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If you think its different thats great.

I dont

Its level up by killing, ping the next plateau, level up again in a new area.

At 50 raid and wait for the expansion.

All those games are basically the same. Ya sure one has faction, and Lotro has a bunch of titles, and has housing where WoW doesn't, but when it comes right down to it, its a WoW clone.

Graphically I agree its better, but its still WoW in a Middle earth wrapper.

Look I participated in the fan forums for about three years before it came out. I built up a decent crafting/ resource gathering guild. Then I did the Beta and it was like, yeesh, I should have just played WoW. Hell I was around when Turbine was talking a skills based game. Then the WoW Juggernaut happened. And with that came a big redesign.........

Its a WoW clone, thats all everyone does now a days trying to topple the 800 lb gorilla.

Comment

That's what I thought, thanks. You assume any MMO that:
                    Its level up by killing, ping the next plateau, level up again in a new area.

At 50 raid and wait for the expansion.

is an WoW clone. I take it you never played MMORPGs before WoW.

I think you really need to watch your phrasing. All of the stuff you mentioned would constitute an EQ clone, of which WoW is one but made substantially easier for casual players.

Your gripe seems to be all MMORPGs are the same, and that you think WoW is the best.

I don't agree at all, and I think that's a supremely superficial look at things.

Comment

How did you get a life long subscription?

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

If you pre-ordered the game or played the beta you got a Lifetime subscription option ($199).

I think if you pre-order the expansion (Mines of Moria, Nov 18) you get the option as well.

It's already paid off for me...and it's really nice knowing I can just not play for 3-4 months or more without paying monthly just to keep the chars active.

Comment

Wish I could do that with EVE or WOW. If I could convince people to switch from WOW to LOTRO I would do it with LOTRO definitely.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

The one thing I think Turbine does better than any other MMO shop is regular, substantive content updates. Not many other MMOs have new zones and quests by the hundreds being added regularly.

Even though it's only 1.5 years old, they've substantially improved the graphics (without increasing the baseline -- all the new stuff are options) through free patches. Even DirectX 10 support was free with new graphics.

Mines of Moria adds extensive dynamic lighting which I'm really looking forward to. It'll be pretty atmospheric to be deep in the Mines of Moria and have player-held torches dynamically lighting the rooms and casting shadows...and to have the mobs utilize the light in their AI routines is icing on the cake. Some mobs are scared of light, get shadow bonuses, etc...I don't know of any other MMORPGs with environmentally-aware AIs yet either.

Comment

I probably need to hold off until after I graduate.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X