Famous Correctional Institutes Worldwide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Correctional Institutes Worldwide

I was speaking with my good man Sir Asher about the harshness and severity an inmate often goes through at his/her penal institute of perdition.

Alcatraz California

Year opened: 1934 (closed 1963)
    Inmate population: 336
    Facts: During its 29 year history Alcatraz incarcerated 1,576 prisoners-- from Robert Stroud, "The Birdman of Alcatraz," to Alvin Karpis, the first public enemy No. 1. There were 14 escape attempts from "The Rock." The prison closed in 1963 because it was too costly to operate-- nearly 1 million gallons of water were shipped to the island each week. Alcatraz is now a national park site-- it has nearly 1 million visitors a year.

Angola Bay Louisiana

Year opened: 1835
    Inmate population: 5,108
    Facts: Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola is America's largest maximum-security prison. The prison sits on 18,000 acres of farmland-- corn and soybeans are the primary crops. It also has a herd of 1,500 cattle. Angola is the only prison in America that offers a college degree program on prison grounds.
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Been to Alcatraz twice. Fun place.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Dartmoor-England

In 1805, Great Britain was at war with Napoleonic France; a conflict during which thousands of prisoners were taken and confined in prison “hulks” or derelict ships. This was considered unsafe, partially due to the proximity of the Royal Naval dockyard at Plymouth and as living conditions were appalling in the extreme, a prisoner of war depot was planned in the remote isolation of Dartmoor.
      In 1806 construction started, taking three years to complete.

In 1809 the first French prisoners arrived, and were joined by American POWs taken in the war of 1812. At one time the prison population numbered almost 6,000. Many prisoners died and were buried on the moor. Both French and American wars were concluded in 1815, and repatriations began.

The prison then lay empty until 1850, when it was largely rebuilt and commissioned as a convict gaol.

With the establishment of the prison farm in about 1852, all the prisoners remains were exhumed and re-interred in two cemeteries behind the prison.

Dartmoor Prison, reckoned in Victorian times to be the hardest and most severe in England, has been in constant use from 1850 to the present day.

In 1917 all convicts were withdrawn from Dartmoor, which was then used to confine 1100 conscientious objectors who refused military service.

Until recently, Dartmoor Prison's inmates have been some of the most dangerous and notorious in English penal history.

SPILBERK CASTLE BRNO-Czech Republic
      Castle above Brno.

Spilberk Castle - originally a royal castle, founded in the 13th century, rebuilt in the 17th century into a sizeable Baroque fort. Till 1945 there was a prison and barracks. 'Kasematy' – Baroque fort architecture and prisons in the Josephine era. The prison of the nations – the famous prison of the Habsburg Monarchy.

Comment

Attica Prison

Year opened: 1931
        Inmate population: 2,200
        Facts: In 1971, 1,300 prisoners staged a four-day rebellion and took over Attica Correctional Facility in upstate New York. Forty-two people were killed, including 10 hostages. Nearly 1,500 police and National Guardsmen stormed the prison to quell the riot.

Atlanta Federal Penitentiery

Year opened: 1902
        Inmate population:2,500
        Facts: Until Boulder Dam was built in 1932, Atlanta Federal Penitentiary was the largest cement mass in America. In 1920 inmate Eugene V. Debs ran for president of the United States from his jail cell, and won 3.5 percent of the vote. His sentence was commuted a year later, on Christmas Day, by President Warren G. Harding. In 1931, Al Capone began to serve his sentence for tax evasion at Atlanta Federal Penitentiary.

Comment

The bulding in which I live

* This picture is classfied *

The building in which LordShiva lives

* This picture is classfied *
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

Eastern State Pen

Year opened: 1829 (closed 1971)
            Inmate population: 1,700 at its peak in the 1920s
            Facts: Eastern State Penitentiary was one of the earliest American prisons. Its radial floor plan was copied throughout the world by more than 300 prisons. The prisoners were isolated, forced to reflect on their crimes and become penitent. This new Quaker-inspired prison was dubbed a penitentiary. The prison closed after 142 years and is now a museum

Folsum

Folsom State Prison
            Year opened: 1880
            Inmate population: 7,246
            Facts: Folsom was one of America's first maximum-security prisons. It's now a medium-security facility. In 1968, country singer Johnny Cash put the prison and himself on the map. Cash performed a live a concert and released a hit album titled "Folsom Prison Blues."

Leavenworth

Leavenworth
            Year opened: 1906
            Inmate population: 1,642
            Facts: Leavenworth's walls are 40 feet high and extend 40 feet below ground. Robert Stroud, "The Birdman of Alcatraz," spent 30 years at Leavenworth, and this is where he gained worldwide fame as a bird expert.

McNeil Island

McNeil Island
            Year opened: 1875
            Inmate population: 908
            Facts: McNeil Island is 2.25 miles wide and 3 miles long, and it's the oldest prison in the Northwest. The remote Washington state prison is the last prison in America located on an island that's only accessible by boat or helicopter. Charles Manson was an inmate here from 1961 to 1966.

San Quentin

San Quentin
            Year opened: 1852
            Inmate population: 5,967
            Facts: Overlooking San Francisco Bay, San Quentin is California's oldest correctional institution, and it houses the state's only gas chamber. Charles Manson and stagecoach-robber Black Bart were inmates at San Quentin.

Sing Sing

Sing Sing
            Year opened: 1825
            Inmate population: 1,533
            Facts: The phrase "up the river" refers to prisoners being sent up the Hudson River from New York to Sing Sing prison. The prison is closely associated with the electric chair, and between 1890 and 1963, 613 men and women were executed by this method. In 1953, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were put to death at Sing Sing for espionage during the Cold War.

Comment

Hey GT!

Where's our photo of Mingapulco?

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

My grandfather worked in Dartmoor prison for many years. He was a civilian instructor- training prisoners in carpentry and woodworking skills (he was a cabinetmaker by trade).
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                  Hey GT!

Where's our photo of Mingapulco?

/me puts finger to lip, shhh to Plato, those secret facilities will appear perhaps tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                    My grandfather worked in Dartmoor prison for many years. He was a civilian instructor- training prisoners in carpentry and woodworking skills (he was a cabinetmaker by trade).
                    I was barely into the tip of the iceberg last night

I plan on many more in near future, amazing I picked that one, eh Laz?

Nice to get some interaction

Comment

Dartmoor is reckoned to be the hardest British prison to escape from. That's not due so much to the walls/locks, but down to the fact that the moor itself is incredibly bleak and remote, and riddled with dangerous marshes.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Hey, everyone forgot Australia. It's got a population of 20 million now. Nearly 20% of it's population is under 15 years of age. That's harsh, real harsh.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

plus this thread is a work in progress, open to anyone to list favorite and historical Facilities

MINGAPULCO

SOLVERHALL

TROLL TOWERS

Not so pleasant an experience, for those unfortunate enough to be incarcerated within those walls

Comment

George W. Bush's "Concentration Camps"

Huntsville, TX (Executions, while Governor, 1995-2000)

Guantanamo Bay (Torture, while President, 2001-Jan. 2009)

The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander I
                              Guantanamo Bay (Torture, while President, 2001-Jan. 2009)

So they're well protected against sunburn, so what?
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X