Ok here we have what may(or may not) be what i hope will be the definative thread here for Daggerfall - to match with our current Morrowind one.
Is anyone still playing this old beast i ask? Or maybe some will be interested in trying it out, afterall even just finding the game and getting it running has almost become the stuff of legends.
First stop two of the most usefull sites to get us going:
Elderscrolls past games section: any tips on getting the game to run on whatever flavour pc you've got should be found here:
The UESP website: all the files,patches and tips you can shake an ebony dagger at here:
And this site was one of the first i found looking for some pics:
Now this is my recomended way of installing+playing Daggerfall:
1. Need an easy computer to install on
2. Need copy of Daggerfall(ebay?)
Go to UESP website and download:
1. the Patch(DAG213.exe being the latest).
2. Andyfall mod
if you want a bit extra you can also get the ADDQUEST.zip(also known as CompUSA) - it adds extra quests and items
OK old computer running win98se - check!(for newer pc/os advice check the elderscrolls past games section above).
Daggerfall+files - check! ok lets go!
1. Run scandisk on your C: drive(the default install for daggerfall)
2. Install Daggerfall huge install(450MB), to default C:
3. Unzip 213 patch into the Dagger directory.
4. Unzip Andyfall the same.
5. Unzip ADDQUEST(CompUSA) into the ARENA2 folder inside your ANDYFALL folder(hopefully inside your Dagger folder!)
EDIT: i think also maybe put it in the ARENA2 folder in your DAGGER folder? So i've put it in both, just in case.
now for the tricky bit..........
1. Right click on MY COMPUTER, select properties then the PERFORMANCE tab, then the FILE SYSTEM tab, then the TROUBLESHOOTING tab. On the troubleshooting options make sure you check the box 'disable write behind caching for all drives'
Now 'apply' the changes and exit the menus. You have to restart your pc at this point.
2. right click on the daggerfall icon now on your desktop and select 'properties'
3. under memory set EMS to 'NONE', XMS and CONVENTION to 'AUTO', set DPMI to '24000'(24MB). Set Initial Enviroment to '2048'.
4. Also under 'properties' set:
*'Do not allow screensaver'
*'Always suspend in background'
*Usage = 'Full screen'
5. Make sure that you UNCHECK 'close on exit'.
6. Make sure that you UNCHECK 'suggest dos mode if necessary'.
7. DO NOT attempt to run the the game from the autorun as it will crash(well its going to crash at some point anyway, but this is worse!).
8. and finaly make/add a small 2 lines to your CONFIG.SYS on your C root directory:
and thats about it i think
Now to run the game
make sure you have nothing running in the background that you can do without.
Use 'Ctrl'+'Alt'+'Delete' and close as many programs as you can
I leave just 'Explorer' and 'Systray' running(after making sure i'm not online of course(unplug from the wall/modem etc) - its best to turn of any firewalls and background virus scanners)
Start > Programs > Ms Dos Prompt
At the Dos prompt type(not including the ' xxx ' quote things) :
you should see the Andyfall title screen, followed by the normal Daggerfall graphic and then the game start screen......hopefully
Now its time to Create a Character - very fun and much more involved than in Morrowind