More emphasis on an age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More emphasis on an age?

My opinion is that the industrial and so-called "modern" age take up too much of the game-time, a least in Civ 3. I would rather play a Civ game with more events in the ancient age, while there is still a lot to discover.

I think there are enough 20th century strategy games, but that might be a question of taste.
    A prehistoric age beginning 10 000 BC or earlier
    8.41%
    The ancient age
    14.02%
    The middle ages and the renaissance
    23.36%
    The industrial age
    5.61%
    The nuclear and information age
    6.54%
    The post-information age, like in CtP
    7.48%
    The balance between ages is just fine
    9.35%
    Skip the concept of ages and make the timeline more fluid
    25.23%
    Last edited by Optimizer; February 14, 2003, 09:12.
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

I think that a prehistoric age and a future age would both be very cool. And maybe a couple of ages ought to be longer.
    Whew! I'm back and ready to start writing again.
    Coming soon: Pax America Redux (Including concepts/civs from Conquests)

Comment

The way the turns are structured is fine IMO. You get more turns in the later eras when there is more action....that is how it should be.

I think a prehistoric focus would lose what many people like about civ.

Comment

I don't mean a focus on prehistory, I mean that the addition of a prehistoric period would be cool.
        And wouldn't pre-history just be the period before you develop writing?
        Whew! I'm back and ready to start writing again.
        Coming soon: Pax America Redux (Including concepts/civs from Conquests)

Comment

I'd like the ancient age to be more emphasised(sp?).
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
            emphasised(sp?).
            No.

Comment

I'd rather have each age expanded by 25% than have an additional age.

And repair that damned tech tree to its former style!
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I think a prehistoric focus would lose what many people like about civ.
                prehistoric would be TRIBES not CIVILIZATION...
                It would be trash.

It would be better to expand the industrial and renaissance! To reflect their importance in the advancement of society!

(and anyways... what type of ujnits could you have for tribes in prehistory- Bushwarror #1, Slingshoteer #1, etc. Civ isn't age of empires or Rise of Nations, or even Empire Earth- it's about civilizations- not wars, or tribes)
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

ancient and medieval. future age could be nice too.
                  industrial and modern ages are BOORING!
                  My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

prehistoric would be TRIBES not CIVILIZATION...
                    It would be trash.

It would be better to expand the industrial and renaissance! To reflect their importance in the advancement of society!

(and anyways... what type of ujnits could you have for tribes in prehistory- Bushwarror #1, Slingshoteer #1, etc. Civ isn't age of empires or Rise of Nations, or even Empire Earth- it's about civilizations- not wars, or tribes)
                    Agreed.......Civilization doesn't need to do any more for ancient time periods than it does now.

Comment

Originally posted by Andemagne
                      ancient and medieval. future age could be nice too.
                      industrial and modern ages are BOORING!
                      hi ,

with some new techs and expanded era's it could work out , .....

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

The ages of gunpowder and sail have been shafted in civ3. They weren't much better off in Civ2. The middle ages need to be longer.
                        Lime roots and treachery!
                        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I'd like to see a game with a late roman to pre-napoleonic time span. Always seemed like the most dynamic, interesting part of history to me. Mass production may be effective, but good lord is it boring.
                          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Prehistoric/prewriting/tribal age
                            Don't think of it in terms of Civilization, but in terms of SimTribe.

A few months ago I've actually started designing a game that focusses on the time before the Civilization games start, when everything is still very small and contained. One turn would take one month, and the map would be no bigger then Great Britain. Your tribe would start out with 10-50 tribesmen and eventually end up with maybe several hundred of them.
                            All of them are true individuals with their own set of skills. The way their characters are described could be taken out of any RPG. For my design i've adapted most of the SPECIAL system used in Fallout, with some minor modification. This means a tribesman has several fixed attributes, and these cannot change, think of them as genes, and a potentially unlimited set of skills. Skills, at first depend on the main attributes, but can change through practice and studying. Not all tribesmen know all skills, but new skills can be learned, or discovered by accident mostly.

The map would also be more detailed then an avg Civ-map, for instance i'd like to implement a living, dynamic world, with animals and plant. Animals migrate from tile to tile, plants have their preferred weather/season in which they grow best. Also something that would be nice is a basic evolutionary system, the scale of the game is too small to implement any realisic evolution, but changing parameters of animals (to an extent) that may become extinct would be a nice balancing addition. For example Animal A is being overhunted, solution would be to make it less desirable to be hunted (eg it gives less food/other resources), make it tougher to hunt (eg make it faster, more deadly), or increase their numbers (by increasing their birthrate).

It would be very much a micro-management game, where each tribesman has to be given specific orders, but off course daily order can be automated/repeated.
                            <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                            Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Working...
                            X