Apolyton Tile File Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Tile File Request

I'd like to put in a request for additions to the TileFile.

I believe that the gap between roads and railways is desperately long. Also, it's something I want to put into Ages of Man.

I propose a new set of tiles called "Highways". Basically, they are the road TI's, but black and a little thicker. Paved roads (by stone) were around in the Roman times, and it seems stupid that the only "road" you can build right through the game is a windy dirt track.

So vote away! I vote YES! We need "Highway" tiles.

Join me Son's of CTP2!
    YES!
    87.50%
    NO!
    0.00%
    Bananas are yellow
    12.50%

That banana option is very attractive... but yes, I'm with you on this.
    So what movement bonus do you want to give those highways? One thing that always bothered me is the simple 1/3 movement for roads anywhere. That windy track through the mountains can't possibly let you move as fast as on the plains. Could that be changed somehow?

Comment

Would be nice if you had a grphic for us to compare. But I do believe this is big since i dont believe we can do this without replacing the original graphics (At least this is what i think i may be wrong though)
      "Kill a man and you are a murder.
      Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
      Kill all and you are a God!"
      -Jean Rostand

Comment

First I would try to put them after the undersea tunnels in the same pattern like the other ones.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

But that is impossible since the 600 series starts at 608 and not 600 as it should to have this as a addition.
          The Apol tile file does have all starting 600 numbers (608-624) filled. So i went test with it though setting railroads number to 600 intead of 300. The game crash when it should appear in the map. So there may be a hope after all since the game does try to look for numbers in the 600 series. Maybe the 700 or 800 or upper may work after all but it needs to start from *00 to *17.
          Last edited by Pedrunn; September 26, 2002, 08:21.
          -Jean Rostand

Comment

Mapfi
            I agreee with you about the road on mountains and road on Plains giving the same movement bonus. Little silly (LOL but not compared to Civ3 where railroad alows you to move indefinitly LOL)

Dale
            Good idea, my vote was yes. Who will make the graphics though

And is there anyone out there who has got time and is really good at making or adding terrain graphics, I gave it a go and just got stuck everywhere

JUST IMAGINE CTP1 TILES, MIXED IN WITH CTP2 TILES

CtP1 mountains where way better in the fact they towered over everything else and the forests and jungle looked good too
            Oxygen should be considered a drug
            Tiberian Sun Retro
            My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
            http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

I hope this turns out a possibility, cuz I'd like to have highways in Ages of Man.

As to movement, it'd be fairly simple to change the MoveCost value of each terrain type for roads in tileimp.txt. I'd already sussed this bit out.

Highway movement, I propose this: roads would be 50% movement (two squares per movement point), and highways be the current 33% movement (three squares per movement point). Well, that's what I want for AOM.

The graphics can be simple, the current road with an extra pixel width each side to show "wider", and a different colour, maybe dark grey? As for who's the best graphic artist here? Hmm..... I dunno..... *looks at Hexagonia*

Comment

well, talking about infrastructure:

what i'm always missing is the ability to build canals!

those were also built in ancient times, though not as big as the panama canal for instance.

but i guess that would require a field which is both sea and land terrain. is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
                  well, talking about infrastructure:

what i'm always missing is the ability to build canals!

those were also built in ancient times, though not as big as the panama canal for instance.

but i guess that would require a field which is both sea and land terrain. is that possible?
                  Techincally building channels could be simulated by terraforming the terrain into an aquatic terrain type. But to have real channels would be better. In this way we would have an equivalent of the undersea tunnels on land.

-Martin
                  Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

its offtopic but it reminds me of what a friend and i did to the original civ-game (yes, THAT game): enabling settlers to terraform sea to land. it worked fine, though underseatunnels are better of course

Comment

800+ should work in the file. Only problem being the comparativly large numbers of images needed.

Shouldn't be too difficult though.
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by mapfi
                        One thing that always bothered me is the simple 1/3 movement for roads anywhere. That windy track through the mountains can't possibly let you move as fast as on the plains. Could that be changed somehow?
                        Another chance for a plug - I changed this in my CTP Mars mod, river halved square movement, road divided it by 3, rail by 5, maglev by 10 (IIRC). This worked out pretty well, I think.

Comment

800+ should work in the file. Only problem being the comparativly large numbers of images needed.

Shouldn't be too difficult though.
                          Did you tested???
                          -Jean Rostand

Comment

Do I ever? no, I didn't. Previously I had never tried over 727. Maybe more won't work at all.

I'll test it later. Could be fun.
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I'll test it later. Could be fun.
                              -Jean Rostand

Comment

Working...
                              X